“Comfortable upscale hotel with excellent service and location”

Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Ranked #29 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 19 February 2014

SERVICE
The Four Seasons Sydney is an upscale, comfortable hotel with truly excellent service. All the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly - probably the best I've had in a very long time (even more remarkable as generally there is no expectation of tips in Australia. Nice if you do, but it's not mandatory like it is in the USA). This standard of service was apparent across-the-board.

LAST MINUTE BABYSITTING
We were in Sydney to catchup with friends with two young children in tow. We'd forgotten to organise a baby-sitter but the hotel was able to arrange it with just 6 hours notice (and the babysitter was great and much liked by my daughters).

ROOM
We had a suite and a standard room, though the suite had a sofa-bed so we could have all been in one room. The suite was a good size, very comfortable and well-equipped.
The bathroom was large (perhaps a tad tired) and I was happy to see a good-size hairdryer (important for the ladies!) BUT in this case, bigger didn't mean better as it was not powerful enough for a decent blow-dry. Why oh why do hotels always have such rubbish hairdryers?? BRING YOUR OWN HAIRDRYER GIRLS. Fortunately, housekeeping supplied a good quality straightening iron upon request.

POOL / LADIES SAUNA AREA
The pool wasn't as big nor the poolside area as salubrious as it appears online. It was just so-so. The ladies sauna area was well-equipped (has a steam room and a dry sauna, a couple of spacious showers / dressing rooms, with plenty of towels, robes, and toiletries on hand (and lockers if necessary).

FOOD
We ate in the ground floor cafe which again had excellent top-notch service. Staff were friendly, helpful and good to the kids too. The food was above average and there is a kids' menu. Room service food was average from what we sampled. We did receive little extras which was a nice touch.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with kids book a suite, there is a large sofa bed in the room. Plenty of spac...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Lorna B,

Thank you for your wonderfully detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us, as all feedback helps us to identify areas of concern which we can improve for future guests.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and service, location and rooms.

We hope to welcome you and your family back very soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Athe location was great, near theartres, small pubs with good value food but our view was terrible, we were looking straight at a wall of the next building. The rooms are small but the bed was comfy and had a good night sleep. The late checkout was really good but th

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor and it was a quite room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lyndipindi,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our room types are also categorised on view, and we have City-View, City-Harbour View, and Full Harbour View rooms available, and our Full Harbour View rooms will be sure to impress on your next stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The staff cannot do enough for you here and the entrance and foyer is quite grand looking. The bar attached to it is lovely and again the staff were at your beck and call.

The standard rooms however are not massive so if you can afford to upgrade then do!
The view however makes up for this. We sat and had room servie one night looking out at the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House and it was better than sitting in any restaurant down on the front. Top class views!

This was our honeymoon and the Four Seasons contributed to a fantastic trip so thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear KJMarshall,

Belated congratulations on your honeymoon! I'm glad you had a wonderful stay and that we were able to help in some way with your celebrations. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I decided to pamper myself after ‘roughing it’ in the Jordanian desert for 3 weeks so I booked two nights at the Four Seasons Sydney. My 3/5 rating is based on what you get for the price.

You can’t beat the location of this hotel. It’s perfectly located right at Circular Quay close to the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Opera House etc.

I walked from the train station and as I approached the hotel, the doorman immediately offered to help me. Check in was very quick.

Finn brought up my luggage very quickly. He was very friendly, genuine and the best staff interaction I had at the hotel.

My confirmation said “Deluxe City View Room. Separate seating area”.

My room was very small, nicely appointed, but nothing spectacular. City view was a view to the Canadian Embassy and I could catch about a 1/4 of the Sydney Harbour Bridge if I tried really hard and placed my head to the far right of the window. There was absolutely no separate seating area unless you count the ottoman tucked under the desk.

The two bottles of water with a $10 price tag (photo attached) is very, very off-putting and is a huge mistake in my opinion. I have stayed at hotels at a 1/5 of the price and complimentary bottle of water is provided. I stayed at a hotel in Doha at 1/3 of the price and they provided a large 1.5L bottle every day for 17 days. This just leaves a bad feeling with me...at least put them in the mini bar so it is not the first thing you see when you arrive in your room.

Bathroom was very nice with high-end fixtures and separate shower and bathtub as the description promised. Nice amenities.

There was not a lot of storage space if you wanted to unpack all your belongings for a long stay.

The bed was incredible! Pillowtop matress with premium bedding as promised. It was the best bed I have ever slept in ever and given ‘sleep’ is a good part of your stay - congratulations on this!

The room was fairly clean, but there was dust on lower table surfaces which clearly had not been dusted and there was a slipper under the bed from the previous guest. The room was not at all ‘unclean’, but this lack of attention to detail for what is supposed to be a luxury five star hotel is unacceptable. Cleaning under the bed is basic. By the way, there were no slippers provided in my room, but there were nice bathrobes.

There was a lot of noise bleed through the door. I was in a corner room so there were three rooms within close proximity and you could hear the other doors everytime anyone entered or exited.

In summary, this wasn’t the experience I expected from a luxury hotel chain. With the exception of the location and the bed, there is nothing remarkable about this hotel. I have had better experiences and nicer rooms in 3 star hotels.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Terry S
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Terry S,

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed feedback after your recent stay with us, we sincerely appreciate all feedback as it helps us improve our service to our guests.

All of your comments have been taken on board and passed on to the appropriate departments, particularly your note about housekeeping. I agree that our standards of housekeeping were not exceptional during your stay with us.

We will make sure we take the appropriate measures to ensure satisfaction with all the issues you have raised for future guests.

Warm regards

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here part of my trip and really enjoyed the location of this hotel. Close to many of the scenic areas of the city. Price was good too, got a deal on one night free with 3 day stay. So averaged out pretty well. Rooms were not as big as I would have liked but was still a good stay. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mike S,

Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay with us, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our location, staff and service. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

After 10 days in the hotel we can not fault any part of the stay to include use of the restaurant, bar and leisure facilities, all perfect ( bar the pool location maybe). Staff brilliant and always on hand, room maids pleasant and efficient, always working around you.
Best for me is breakfast in the grain bar where you can sit at a bar stool at the open window watching out over circular quay, sydney coming alive. Equally nice seat for a cocktail watching The Rocks come alive on a weekend. Great choice all round , oh and lovely views over the harbour and Opera house.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear NigelBlade,

Thank you for your recent review, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the kind words about our staff and service, location and facilities.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I'll preface this review by saying that we love the Four Seasons brand. This property is not the best Four Seasons we've stayed in (Hualalai and Bora Bora top that list), but it's a great business-oriented hotel with solid amenities and a view that can't be beat (highly recommend splurging on the upgrade). The location is ideal (short walk to the Sydney Opera House, ferries, The Rocks neighborhood and the botanical gardens). Staff was courteous and helpful.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Olenka,

Thank you for your kind comments about our great location, view and service. We hope you continue enjoying your stays at Four Seasons around the world, and hope we can welcome you back to Four Seasons Hotel Sydney very soon.