“Not up to four seasons standard”

Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Ranked #29 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Hong kong
“Not up to four seasons standard”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I frequently stay at four seasons hotel worldwide. Unfortunately they don't have a loyalty program. Typically I find the hotels and service pretty good. Quite disappointed with the Sydney one however. Firstly i booked through my company travel agency and the booked me at some very high rate. So I switched hotels naturally. Then my agent got a call back and four seasons drop the rate considerably so I moved back. This is not priceline. Should be offered the corporate rate in the first place. The hotel itself is quite jaded and is in need of renovation. Probably smallest rooms and oldest looking rooms of all four seasons I've stayed in. Service is subpar. I asked for late checkout by just one hour after staying here for three nights. Flatly refused and i doubt the operator, (it was not even the reception) bothered to inquire if I could stay one more hour as the response was immediate. Anyway not a big deal but enough to say that this hotel is below standard for four seasons.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Leechris28
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Leechris28,

Firstly, thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us improve our product and service.

Secondly, I do apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We will be discussing your feedback internally so we can improve our guest service. I hope we can look after you at another time, and I would welcome you to email me at david.macklin@fourseasons.com, should you choose to stay with us again.

Kind regards
David Macklin
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The small room was dusty and the bed was not comfortable initially. A call to house keeping and they added extra padding to the mattress. But everything else was just great. The view was second to none. From my room I could see the Opera house and the harbor bridge. We had access to the executive club on 34th floor. They had a decent breakfast and evening snacks. My wife got upset stomach twice and me once after visiting the executive club. They have bartenders on the weekends at the executive club but they stand like the lock to the alcohol cabinet. Bartenders lack the necessities for even a basic cocktail and I found them to be out of place in the executive lounge. The staff was exceptionally good. I really did enjoy the stay overall. Location to the circular quay train station and shoppes are just too convenient.

Room Tip: You can call Wash on the Rocks a local laundry place and they will pick up and deliver your laundry...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Located in the historic area known as "The Rocks" this hotel is close to the harbor, great restaurants and splendid shopping. Concierge, Michael Sison, really outdid himself for me by phoning the tour company to make sure which entrance of the hotel I would be picked up at and then alerting the staff at both entrances just in case. This allowed me a pleasant wait in the beautiful reception area. A very luxurious contemporary style throughout. This is a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Cathy S
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I let the hotel know that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary when we booked and splurged on a full harbor view room through a booking website. We were upgraded to a room on the 30th floor, there were rose petals on the bed, and the manager sent a bottle of wine to the room. All were really lovely touches. Also, the staff at check-in and housekeeping were very pleasant. The view was outstanding, and the room was very comfortable, but the extra touches were what made the stay memorable. Unfortunately, with such a wonderful first experience, it may be difficult to ever repeat or top this. But I would definitely stay there again, just for the convenient location and the view.

Room Tip: The full harbor view is worth the extra and the higher the better.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We splurged on the Four Seasons and it was worth every penny! We had a harbor view room and it was fantastic. We could see both the Bridge and the Opera House. I loved turning off the lights at night and seeing the Opera House all lit up. We even had dinner in our room the last few nights just so we could maximize the view. We had breakfast in the Woods dining room every morning and it was really deluxe—huge buffet, eggs cooked to order, tons of fruit, muffins, pastries etc. Also the location can't be beat—right on the Circular Quay, short walk to the Rocks, Opera House, Bridge, and Botanical Gardens. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: A harbor view is the best!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank C B
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Wow what a hotel perfect location. We had a beautiful view of the Sydney opera house. Housekeeping's attention to detail blew my mind everyday.

Only thing is they didn't have the movie channels on Foxtel. To watch a movie you had to pay $17.

Would defiantly stay again

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chevvy M
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I make it a point to stay at the four seasons every time i am in Sydney, but i am now going to look at other options...

My last stay comprised of being down graded to a normal room which is fine because i wanted to check in early, was expecting a little more attention from the staff.. i was told by the check in staff that they would look into my rate which was nice.. but i think that was only them being courteous rather than actually wanting to do anything about it.. so never heard back from them...

Room was pretty crappy i have to say considering its the four seasons.. slept that night and the air con stopped working at around 3 am, called them and they sent some one to fix it.. it was fixed about 30 mins later but unfortunately could not sleep after that, had a long day ahead of me with a flight to brisbane you can imagine how the day turned out..

Came back late the next day, guess what no one at the door or help me with my luggage .. I could see the reception staff from the entrance smiling but no one willing to move.. felt like checking into a 2 star establishment...

Four Seasons Sydney really need to up their game for their guests especially repeat guests as i do use them in other locations globally...

checkin in dates monday the 11th of August 2014 -- then again on the 13th of Aug...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Asad G
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Asad G,

Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to read of your experience at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, particularly in light of the fact that you are one of our regular guests. Please be assured that our Front Desk team will be spoken to in regards to the issues you raised in your review.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the service standards you experienced during your stay with us. Should you choose to return to us, please do email me at david.macklin@fourseasons.com so we can ensure you are looked after.

Warm regards,