“Disappoiting for a Four Seasons”

Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Ranked #29 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
“Disappoiting for a Four Seasons”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We had a surprisingly quite disappointing experience at the Four Seasons: on arrival, our luggage was sent to a wrong room. Check in staff was cold and not very welcoming.
Room was clean but very small and old.
Breakfast room is noisy and crowded and takes place in a rather dark room in the lobby
Good points are location and gym as well as staff (except check in) which is as always in the Four Seasons very professional

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jasmin02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,453)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Same as other reviewer said, great location. The hotel located near Circular Quay (where you can take a short ferry ride to Taronga Zoo), The Rock, Opera House, Botanical Garden. If you are into shopping, there are plenty on George Street just minutes away by foot. The public transportation is great in Sydney, you won't need to rent a car if you stay at this hotel.

The room itself is on the smaller side. The hotel itself feels like another conference hotel. The staff are GREAT - always courteous and when we had a problem in the bathroom light it was immediately fixed. We didn't eat at the hotel because there are plenty of options as soon as you walk out of the hotel. In addition - the currency exchange rate was much better if you just do it at the hotel front desk.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TcyW
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly, how bizarre to have a lime green spa area in such a classically elegant hotel- just felt wrong! Plus green is uplifting not relaxing!

Treatment was lovely, although I was booked for a facial and wasn't asked one question about my skin type or concerns so I wasn't sure how she decided my products??

Larger robes would be nice, I'm only a size 14 but I was busting out of the robe and felt quite uncomfortable and exposed. Bathroom and change room facility was above excellent!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Great location and local to both the Tourist and Business District.

Simple and easy check in , good room with wonderful view of the Opera House, good layout and fittings.

Good restaurant for breakfast with a wide selection of dishes, lunch time menu was very good and staff attentive.

The Hotel is surrounded by excellent Bars and restaurants, a very walk-able town - 10 minuets from the Bridge Walk - a must do for all able bodied children and grownups.

A very memorable stay in a fantastic town.

Room Tip: Rooms with a Harbor view is a must
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I booked this hotel because there was an Amex offer. The property felt a bit dated but overall I was happy about the services and staff seem to be very helpful and courteous. But after some clarification with the receptionist just now on the offer, I was actually a bit disappointed and I think for people who are wanting to book this hotel through Amex, they'd have to be quite careful. First off, the free breakfast they are offering is NOT buffet breakfast. They had two types of breakfast and the one with Amex offer is continental breakfast which costs AUD 35 not the buffet breakfasts which costs AUD 42, and no one actually informed of this difference at the time of check-in or at the restaurant, so I just spent the last two days having the full buffet breakfast and I'd have to pay for the AUD 7 difference! I'm staying until Sunday and my flight is at 7:30am so I asked if the complimentary breakfast can be changed to room service as their restaurant is only opening at 6:30am. To my surprise, the front desk manager rejected my request right away telling me that I could use my USD 100 dining benefits also from the Amex offer to cover for this, or I can pay. Immediately I felt very let down as it's not the kind of answer I was expecting from the kind staff at the Four Seasons.

To be honest, I felt that the hotel could be more flexible - afterall they are collaborating with Amex and offering us these benefits so that we would try the hotel and be coming back, and this really does put people off from ever coming back again as there are really more choices out there in Sydney (especially if you are booking through Amex).

Location-wise this hotel is excellent but next time I'm coming to Sydney I don't think I'll be staying here. If you are booking through Amex, be very careful and check every single detail at check-in because the staff here will be very rigid about the benefits.

Room Tip: The rooms are pretty small.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Yammie P
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Yammie P,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay. I will be looking into this matter closely, and would appreciate if you had any further feedback to please email me at david.macklin@fourseasons.com.

Thank you very much for your feedback, and I'm very sorry it was a disappointing experience for you. Should you be returning to Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, please do email me so I can ensure a seamless stay for you.

Kind regards,
David Macklin
Hotel Manager
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for a business meeting. The hotel was very nice, I had a modern room with a lovely view. The hotel is really central with lots of bars and restaurants nearby and an easy walk to the Harbour and Bridge. The breakfast was very good with lots of choice. The only thing was that the restaurant is a little cold being on the ground floor close to the hotel lobby. The staff were friendly and happy to help with questions and directions. Overall a very pleasant stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Blackpool
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here on the final night of our honeymoon while transiting through Sydney, the hotel were aware of this in advance and did everything they possibly could to make our stay amazing.
We had booked a package which included canapes and sparkling wine on arrival, and breakfast in our room.
Both of these were promptly delivered along with a "Congratulations on your wedding" from the member of staff.

Upgrading to a Harbour View is a must, the views were absolutely stunning along with the spacious room and bathroom. This hotel is in a fabulous location right on the corner of circular quay and the rocks. Allowing quick access to some of the highlights of Sydney. Certainly the place to stay if you can.
The higher your room the better, we were on the 28th floor but could still hear some noise from the circular quay trains.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Harbour View, and request a high room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple