“The Views Can't Get Any Better!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Sydney

Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Ranked #29 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
San Jose, California
“The Views Can't Get Any Better!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

My husband and I spent our 2 wedding anniversary at the Four Seasons Sydney. Oh wow, the location can't get any better! It is right next to the Circular Quay with unobstructed views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. The Rocks neighborhood is within 5 minutes walk so there are lots of restaurant and shopping options. The Royal Botanical Gardens are about 10 minutes walk away for some quiet time in the city.

Sydney is expensive, and so is the Four Seasons! We had originally booked a city view room, but since it was our anniversary, we chose to upgrade to the harbour view room. We were blown away when we walked into our room and looked out the window. The night view is just fantastic if you take a look at the pictures I included in this review. We went up to the Sydney Sky Tower and we both agree that the view from our room topped it by far. We couldn't even see the Opera House from the Sky Tower because of all the buildings in the way. So if you are going to stay at this hotel, you might as well upgrade to see the harbour, or else you can save money and stay in any other hotel in Sydney for a lot less money.

The hotel sent us a nice reserved bottle of Champagne for our anniversary and wrote personalized notes to us. Definitely a nice touch!

The one piece of warning I have for travelers using the concierge desk is to avoid Huey like the plague. The other people at the concierge were very knowledgeable and helpful. The two times I talked to Huey, I felt like he had no clue what he was talking about. For example, I told him I wanted romantic harbour view dinner for our anniversary. He said that Darling Harbour was too commercialized and so he sent us to Wallomooloo area. We ended up at this pier with no sight of the harbour and instead had views of docked boats. On top of that, the restaurant he recommended had horrible service. The other time I talked to him, I asked him for the exact location of the Japanese garden within the Royal Botanical Gardens. He promptly responded by saying there's no Japanese garden there. When I walked through the garden, I ended up seeing it and I felt like he should not be a representative of the Four Seasons.

High speed internet is VERY expensive here. I suggest you find a internet cafe nearby and not spend the outrageous fees at the Four Seasons.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

I have stayed in this property before, and am a frequent four seasons guest. I was stunned today to be checked in and to hear a JACKHAMMER on concrete above me. After complaining about the noise, and the lack of disclosure at time of reservation OR check in, I was moved six floors down. Still can hear the noise. DO NOT STAY HERE AFTER OCTOBER 20TH UNLESS THE HOTEL GUARANTEES YOUR QUIET ENJOYMENT OF THE PROPERTY!!!

The views are great, the location is great, the place is a bit tired and not up to the Four Seasons standards. The GM recently retired and the owners need to bring this up to Four Seasons standards, but without suckering guests to take their money in the meantime.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank viptraveler99
Atlanta, GA USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

This hotel deserves attention for one reason - and one reason only - the location and the available views. However, there are many options in the Circular Quay area that afford the same views - so beware of your expectations as to this particular Four Seasons when comparing it to other Four Seasons's properties worldwide. This particular Four Seasons has no exclusivity or element of 5-star type ratings that other Four Seasons I have stayed at have. The property is like checking into a rather massive Times Square bohemoth with the check-in desk practically running the length of the lobby - Las Vegas style with a little less crowded feeling. Robotic check-in employees have the "credit card and passport please" lines down pat - no feeling of individual welcomes that are common in other Four Seasons hotels. The Premier Harbour View Room was indeed stunning from a view perspective. The Opera House cannot be adequately described as it is just quite simply one of the most beautiful structures I have ever seen. My Indian friends will not like me for this comment, but in some ways and of course in very different ways, it rivals the Taj Mahal. Once you settle in and get over the breathtaking view, you realize you are in a rather standard room. None of the extra bathroom amenities (toothbrush kits, shaving kits, etc.) that other luxury brands provide - just your basic (although L'Occitane) shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and lotion with a shortage of towels. Ask a staff memeber for assitance or to do something with respect to your reservation and you quickly realize you are in a Four Seasons for the masses. The front desk had entered the name of another guest on my room reservation so whenever I would call for room serivce or an operator, I was not greeted by my name but someone else. When I requested that I be allowed to use my daily breakfast credit towards room service, it took an Act of Congress and escalation to a manager before this rather common aspect of other Four Seaons properties would be agreed to. One employee put me down for even asking for such a consideration and implied it was against hotel policy by going into elaborate detail about how different departments in the hotel had diffferentt revenue and accounting schemes. This I did not need after a long flight. At Four Seasons, I am quite simply accustomed to these small requests being granted - no questions asked. Certainly, this is a very nice property, but don't compare it to other Four Seasons. Accept it for what it is and enjoy the surrounding area/location and you will escape without too much frustration. Another pet peeve is that the internet connection was average as well - in fact, slow at times. There is also no keyed access to the elevators - and it seemed at times there were people riding the elevator who were not guests. In summary, this ia very "touristy" Four Seasons and one I would pass on in the future. Having just traveled from Singapore Four Seasons and landing at the Sydney Four Seasons, I felt as though I was taking a step back as far as quality and service goes. Enjoy the breathtakng views - hope to secure a high floor, and if you are not able to fulfill these basics when paying Four Season's rates, then don't hesitate to look into other hotels very close by. There is quite simply no reason to go out of your way to stay at the Sydney Four Seasons.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

Wonderful stay highlighted by the way the staff spoilt our two year old with a kangaroo and koala. Room had a good view and was neat, spacious and modern.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank JTG98
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

Very nice hotel with great views and great service.. However could be better: (1) Swivel chairs in room are not comfortable for reading or watching TV (2) credit surcharge for Visa/MC are a ripoff. Australia has the lowest credit fees of any EngLish speaking country (3) Internet charge of $30! Is highest I have paid. Why not have an email offering with a faster sped at a higher price? In London at the best hotels email is at no cost

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

My wife and I spent a week in Sydney and stayed at the Four Seasons near the Harbour. The hotel was first rate all the way, with a very attentive staff, and the location was absolutely unbeatable. The hotel is located right at The Rocks and Sydney Harbour/Opera House, two of the best places in Sydney to hang out. The Botanical Gardens are a short walk away, or a great place for a run.

The rooms were very tastefully furnished, clean and modern.

The staff was great. I was on business in Canberra and my wife flew in to join me when I was done. She arrived in Sydney a half a day before me, so I called the hotel and asked for them to arrange for flowers in the room, a spa appointment, and early check-in if at all possible. They took care of all of it without a hitch. When we'd come in from our morning run, the doorman always greeted us with a cold bottle of water as we walked back into the hotel. It's the little things like that that really make a difference.

I can't remember the price we paid, but it was actually pretty reasonable. Maybe it was low season (coming out of winter but still pleasant when we were there), but I was surprised at the rate. I think it was better than the Marriott which is right nearby and that surprised me a bit.

I've stayed at the Marriott, the Hilton and Four Seasons, each more than once. All three are nice. I like the Hilton - it has a great gym with a lap pool inside and the rooms are very chic - but the location is not as good. It's still only a 15-20 min walk to the Harbour, but why not be right there? The Marriott was nice and the location is just about the same as the Four Seasons, but I think the Four Seasons was nicer all around. The Four Seasons had a great gym, an attractive outdoor pool, great rooms, great staff, and a fantastic location. I think it gets my vote, assuming rates are all in the same general range for the three.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hotel is right on top of the Rocks area so perfect for all the tourist stuff around there. We couldn't afford an ocean view but as we walked out each day and saw it, didn't matter that much. We did have a wonderful room which was huge with beautiful bedding and towels - great TV and ipod docking station.
Excellent service from everyone - friendly and helpful, including all the housekeeping staff which was noticeable.
The only thing we weren't impressed with was the restaurant food at dinner. Undercooked beans in a soup - not what you'd expect from this class of hotel and to make it worse the manager dealt with us poorly when we complained.
However, this wouldn't put me off going back.
Nice lounge and bar area but live music was withdrawn during our stay and this would stop me staying there again, if it's not reinstated.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple