“Really nice but needed a few more hourse sleep.”

Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection
Ranked #50 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Really nice hotel and a great fit-out gives it a real modern-heritage feel. I'd stay there again but make sure I wasn't anywhere near the dining area as the banging of doors and rattle of cutlery woke me very early. Wasn't overly impressed with the service at breakfast - maybe that's why he was banging the doors! Would head out next time for this meal.Will ask for a softer pillow next time as well. Was allocated a balcony room but the drawback is it opens onto a general guest area so felt compelled to keep the blinds closed. I'd be thinking an elevated room would better. Very good location and well priced.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Write a ReviewReviews (1,298)

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Stayed for 1 night at this quaint little hotel before leaving Sydney.

This hotel can be a little hard to find as it is really easy to miss due to the small signage but it is situated in a great location at the rocks area.

I arrived early and the room was not ready so dropped off my bag and went wandering around the area. There was a small market next block with tons of freshly cooked/baked/grilled food for those early risers.

The location is great for exploring the rocks area and it is easy to explore George Street from there too. Easy walk to Darling Harbour and Opera House / Botanic Gardens.

Walking around, there are tons of small shops & quaint cafes to stop for a cuppa at any time.

Checked in after 3pm & my first surprise was that I was offered the 3rd floor (highest floor) though I was using Accor free night. Feels great not to be discriminated!

Second surprise, there is no lift available in this boutique hotel. If your knees are wonky or if steps are just not your thing, better request for a ground floor unit.

Third surprise, the hotel is so small that the registration & reception and bar is the same area. Quaint, charming and totally unexpected.

The room is small but extremely well thought & layed out. I love that they kept the original brickwork and windows of this extremely well preserved building.

Room was extremely clean and smelt fresh. The AC was working perfectly & the shower is clean and totally grime free. Plenty of hot water when needed. Towels smelt clean & fresh too.

The bed was great and I think it can easily match Westin's beds.

Hotel reception was great when I needed to book airport transfer & did it immediately besides helping with my bags both on the way in & out.

Do give this hotel a shot if you are into boutique hotels as it has enough character to hold its own but modernized enough to suit the needs of the current travellers.

Will definitely go for another stay when I am in Sydney again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor offer the best view :)
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank elizchua
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My sister and I were looking for somewhere to stay for one night, close to the bridge climb. We decided on this hotel. We were not dissappointed the service was terrific. We arrived early in Sydney from Melbourne, to early to check in to our room but the hotel staff were only to happy for us to arrive at 10am sort out our paperwork and leave our bags so that we could go and climb the bridge. When we returned to the hotel our bags were already in our room waiting. The room was fantastic. Good size with two King single beds and everything you could need. This hotel was comfortable, cosy and had a really good friendly atmosphere about it. It is located right in the heart of the Rocks area and is only a very short walk to Circular Quay, so we only had to catch a train direct from the Airport to Circular Quay station and walk 5min to hotel. The next day we were not flying out of Sydney until late so again the hotel staff were only to pleased and helpful and kept our bags after we checked out until we were ready to pick them up. The next time I visit Sydney for a much longer break I will definately be staying here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Great location, amazing interior design, lovely staff! My boyfriend and I have stayed in this boutique hotel for my 26th birthday and it was very special. We really enjoyed our stay I would recommend it to anyone. Our room was quiet small but it didn't really matter, the bed was extremely comfortable and I think I had the best sleep ever. The hotel is very well designed and clean.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Perfect location to see all the sights and very short walking distance from Circular Quays where all the ferries go from. We stayed in one of the cheaper rooms, which were quite small but the bed was huge and the bathroom was very nice. The hotel staff were very professional and the service was the best service i've ever received at a hotel. Recommending places to eat, how to get places and even offering beach towels free of charge. They even let us shower and change after a full day on the beach before we flew home (even though we'd already checked out). Would definitely recommend to other people.
The restaurant serves a very good a la carte breakfast and the waiter who served us, Felix, was superb. The bald man on reception, Paul I think, was really friendly and couldn't do enough to make our stay at the hotel and in Sydney enjoyable.
The coffee served in the restaurant and in the bar was probably the best we had during our stay in Sydney!

Room Tip: We stayed in the smallest/cheapest room, it was small but absolutely fine for a hotel room - we were...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and it was a fantastic time. The staff were all very friendly, the food at the restaurant was amazing. Please feel encouraged. The following comments did not detract but will hopefully make people's stay even better.

I would have thought that the wall TV would have swivelled out so that you can watch it in comfort in bed.

I think some of the bathroom accessories had already been used (eg shampoo) as there was no seal on some of the containers.

We did wonder whether the outside ambient noise at night might make sleeping hard if you were there in the height of summer.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 11 April 2013

A perfect little boutique style hotel but not at all stuffy. 5min walk from Circular Quay - 1 min to bars - shops - restaurants and of course the bridge and Opera house. Our room was lovely unique and cosy - lovely toiletries ( even if the shower room was tiny ! ) also a little fridge for that midnight snack or tipple. Very tasteful and clean - lovely fluffy towels and gown. The bar and terrace area were tip top - esp the terrace for people watching below. Will go again and recommend.

Room Tip: It's stairs so stick to the first floor if your not a stairs kinda person !
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Ivada P, Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Dear 186334Mandy,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Harbour Rocks Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Unfortunately due to the heritage listing of the building, we were not able to install an elevator however being only two flights high, there aren't too many stairs. Our small baggage elevator also minimises the effect of this, and we are always available to assist with any luggage.

Management