“Nice hotel - very disappointing service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection

Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection
Ranked #40 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane
“Nice hotel - very disappointing service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We had a nice stay, however the service upon and following checkout was so poor that I will never return to this hotel. My mum, who is an Accor member, had called the hotel several weeks earlier to book and pay for the accommodation, explaining that it was for my birthday present. That same day I received an email from the hotel confirming the booking and specifically advising that $502.20 had been fully paid and there was $0 to pay at the hotel. When I went to checkout staff advised the accommodation had not been paid. I explained that it had been pre-paid by my mum - reception staff advised that was impossible. I then showed staff the confirmation email which very clearly stated the amount had been fully paid and there was zero balance outstanding. They still refused to believe that it had been paid for. I was getting quite upset and embarassed, and explained that we needed to get to the airport, and that i was not comfortable re-paying the account. Thankfully the staff advised that I could get my mum to call later that day.

When my mum called the hotel to advise that she had pre-paid the account, the staff member was quite rude. He insisted she give him her credit card details - which had already been provided upon booking. The hotel were going to check into whether the card had been charged initially, and I am not sure of the result.

I am a frequent traveller and know that there can be hiccups in process, but there seems to be some systemic issues with the reception at Harbour Rocks Hotel.

The hotel is boutique and has been renovated nicely. The room was modern and was a reasonable size but the bathroom was quite small and was a tad annoying that the door couldn't be left ajar.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Ivada P, Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
At Accor Hotels, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore all feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address this error and prevent future occurrence.

As you are aware, we have already spoken with you regarding this issue. We have apologized for the prepayment issue that occurred due to a computer glitch. The manager on duty acted swiftly, your daughter was at the desk for no longer than 10 minutes while we sorted out the issue. I apologize once again and am disappointed that over a simple billing issue you will not return to allow us to make it up to you for the inconvenience caused.

I hope that you will accept our apology and allow us the opportunity to show you this level of service is not indicative of the usual high standard at our hotel.

Regards
Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I had a weekend in Sydney that was pretty near perfect from the moment we touched down. For a start, the location is amazing- The Rocks has so many outstanding restaurants with funky designs and inspired menus. You can walk to half a dozen from the hotel. The dinner at the hotel was lovely as well, if you want to stay in. Beautiful oysters. But our room was fabulous! The view! Straight out to the opera house. The light at sunset was superb. I think we were upgraded as I'm sure I didn't request a view room! It was our second honeymoon so they just did it. Wonderful. We both love boutique and interesting hotels. This didn't fail to impress. They do need to supply a coffee press and real coffee instead of instant, but that seems to be the norm at most places unfortunately.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed at the Harbour Rocks many times over the years but I am extremely impressed with the changes that have been made over recent times.

The service, ambience, staff, accommodation and location could not be faulted on our recent stay.

Unfortunately, we only had one night to indulge in all the amenities on offer but will definitely be back for more in the very near future.

New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Harbour Rocks Hotel is very well located - walkable to many Sydney points of interest. Rooms are small but well-designed and charming. Ana at the front desk absolutely made our stay though - anything we hatched up she took care of gracefully and thoughtfully - from dinner to massage to a kayak trip. We felt so well taken care of!

• Stayed August 2013
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Beautiful hotel and great location. However we had a very noisy room overlooking the courtyard, meaning there was no relaxing time when we were done venturing the city. A standard room it is just a bit too small for two people.

1 Thank Diana C
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I enjoyed this hotel and the view from my rooftop room was beautiful with the opera house in sight. It's an old building, I believe over 100 years old so if you are looking for ultra modern I recommend a different hotel. I like both type of hotels but will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple