“A gem in the heart of sydney”

Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection
Ranked #39 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“A gem in the heart of sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

In stark contrast to other reviewers comments, this hotel was absolutely perfect for a short stay in central Sydney, it had everything you could want and more. The decor is a mix of old and new and the rooms, although on the compact side were comfortable, clean and well equipped. The staff were very friendly and helpful and you are just a few steps from the breathtaking sights of this amazing city. As for Buzz 1967...perhaps he should dig deeper in his pockets and then he might get what he is looking for. This hotel is EXCELLENT value for money and I will be returning on my next visit to Sydney.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank linda c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tadcaster, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Lovely conversion of some old buildings into a hotel. The room we had was to one side of the terrace and there was a little noise, but not as bad for us as others have reported. Only a couple of things that would have improved it for us. We arrived early from the airport, as many international arrivals do, and as the room wasn't ready wandered off to kill an hour getting coffee and breakfast. In fact the hotel has an excellent offer for breakfast on the day you arrive only, but they didn't draw it to our attention, so we missed it. Other than that the in room safe had been left closed by a previous guest, which we reported, though it wasn't ever fixed. Would definitely consider a return stay

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cairns
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

For me the road noise really spoiled what would otherwise been a very pleasant experience. My travelling companion had a room away from the road and she found that room very quiet so I would recommend requesting a room away from traffic if the noise is likely to bother you.

Pros:
Great location in the lovely Rocks area.
Easy walk to Opera House
Easy access by train from airport as easy to walk with wheeled luggage from Circular Quay train station
Friendly staff
Offered a half price breakfast if booked on arrival
Comfortable room with king size bed
Booked on a 50% off deal with Accor

Cons:
Room on third floor faced a reasonably small street (I think it was Harrington Street) but the traffic noise was very loud - there was no double glazing on the windows, perhaps due to building restrictions on heritage buildings.
there was no bath in this room
no lift and room was on the third floor which was fine for me but could be problematic for some

Room Tip: If concerned about road noise request a room away from the road.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Ivada P, Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear kaycee95

***GREAT NEWS***
Sound Minimization Underway!

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Harbour Rocks Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I do apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced during your visit. As I mentioned, we currently completing sound minimization works on the windows. Unfortunately the Sydney Harbour Foreshore declined our request to double glaze the windows during the redevelopment, on heritage restrictions.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one albeit with a quieter experience.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

besides the great location this hotel was totally disappointing. pictures on website totally misrepresent the rooms. beds quite uncomfortable and bathrooms built for dwarfs. I'm 6 feet tall and couldn't even brush my teeth, wash my face or shave without regretting ever booking this hotel. my girlfriend who is shorter than me hurt her eye while trying to wash her face in that miniature sink. one has to be a magician in order to use the sink w/o smashing into the counter above. DEFINTELY A 2 STAR BATHROOM. I had to also bend over just to take a shower because showerhead was too low. friendly staff but that just isn't enough. would recommend other hotels in the area. totally overpriced.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Buzz1967
Ivada P, Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Harbour Rocks Hotel. I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

At Accor Hotels, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Being a heritage building we do have some unique spaces, and walls were not permitted to be moved during the redevelopment of the building on this basis. We do however have a number of rooms and room types other than that which you booked, with larger bathrooms and I hope you will have the opportunity to book one of these next time.

I hope that you will accept our apology and allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to the property in the future. I hope your partner is ok and please mention this review next time you visit and we will do our utmost to make it up to you.

Regards
Brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We had a nice stay, however the service upon and following checkout was so poor that I will never return to this hotel. My mum, who is an Accor member, had called the hotel several weeks earlier to book and pay for the accommodation, explaining that it was for my birthday present. That same day I received an email from the hotel confirming the booking and specifically advising that $502.20 had been fully paid and there was $0 to pay at the hotel. When I went to checkout staff advised the accommodation had not been paid. I explained that it had been pre-paid by my mum - reception staff advised that was impossible. I then showed staff the confirmation email which very clearly stated the amount had been fully paid and there was zero balance outstanding. They still refused to believe that it had been paid for. I was getting quite upset and embarassed, and explained that we needed to get to the airport, and that i was not comfortable re-paying the account. Thankfully the staff advised that I could get my mum to call later that day.

When my mum called the hotel to advise that she had pre-paid the account, the staff member was quite rude. He insisted she give him her credit card details - which had already been provided upon booking. The hotel were going to check into whether the card had been charged initially, and I am not sure of the result.

I am a frequent traveller and know that there can be hiccups in process, but there seems to be some systemic issues with the reception at Harbour Rocks Hotel.

The hotel is boutique and has been renovated nicely. The room was modern and was a reasonable size but the bathroom was quite small and was a tad annoying that the door couldn't be left ajar.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
At Accor Hotels, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore all feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address this error and prevent future occurrence.

As you are aware, we have already spoken with you regarding this issue. We have apologized for the prepayment issue that occurred due to a computer glitch. The manager on duty acted swiftly, your daughter was at the desk for no longer than 10 minutes while we sorted out the issue. I apologize once again and am disappointed that over a simple billing issue you will not return to allow us to make it up to you for the inconvenience caused.

I hope that you will accept our apology and allow us the opportunity to show you this level of service is not indicative of the usual high standard at our hotel.

Regards
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I had a weekend in Sydney that was pretty near perfect from the moment we touched down. For a start, the location is amazing- The Rocks has so many outstanding restaurants with funky designs and inspired menus. You can walk to half a dozen from the hotel. The dinner at the hotel was lovely as well, if you want to stay in. Beautiful oysters. But our room was fabulous! The view! Straight out to the opera house. The light at sunset was superb. I think we were upgraded as I'm sure I didn't request a view room! It was our second honeymoon so they just did it. Wonderful. We both love boutique and interesting hotels. This didn't fail to impress. They do need to supply a coffee press and real coffee instead of instant, but that seems to be the norm at most places unfortunately.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed at the Harbour Rocks many times over the years but I am extremely impressed with the changes that have been made over recent times.

The service, ambience, staff, accommodation and location could not be faulted on our recent stay.

Unfortunately, we only had one night to indulge in all the amenities on offer but will definitely be back for more in the very near future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple