“Ok for the budget traveller”

Ibis Sydney World Square
Ranked #93 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IbisWorldSquare_GM, Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

There are newer reviews for Ibis Sydney World Square

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The deluxe room has great sized beds, but poorly made. Not too bad on noise but unusual bathroom layout with wet floor shower that didn't drain and pooled under basin and toilet. The elevators were unreliable and the cards needed checking almost every time they were to be used in the lift. Changed rooms on Saturday night to a standard and the bathroom was much better however the street noise was unbelievable.
I do not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Katemcknz

Hi,

Thank you for your review, we are located in the heart of the city, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

If I can further assist you please let me know.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The experience on my second visit to this property was disappointing because it was obvious the hotel was trying hard to save costs.

They turned off the ability of the heat-pump to produce cold air, because it was winter. Well Sydney during my visit was sweltering under 20 degrees weather, and the room was stifling hot. After a couple of visit from the front desk they managed to get the heat-pump to stop pumping hot air into the room, however there was still no A/C.

They re-deployed half-used toilet paper rolls, which looked really ridiculous and petty.

Breakfast and gym were good, although the gym was quite small and can only house two people before becoming claustrophobic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the higher floor and facing Pitt St.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
IbisWorldSquare_GM, Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you felt we are cutting our costs, be please rest assured we are not. I will follow up with housekeeping to why we let you down in services.

If I can further assist you ,please let me know.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is a true surprise packet. Yes the rooms are small but the room is very clean the beds are good,the location is great and the staff were very helpfull. I picked this hotel because of the price i will certinaly stay again for an overnight stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Allistra
IbisWorldSquare_GM, Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I and mum booked the hotel when we traveled to Sydney. We had a fantastic stay with ibis. great location which is close to everything! The room is clean. Staff are very kind and friendly with good services!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
IbisWorldSquare_GM, Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

hi,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Where do I start! We had an ACCOR giftcard to use, which I couldn't apply in an online booking, I had to call the Accor call centre in either India or the Philippines. The charge was $441 minus the $200 card leaving $241. My debit card was charged $682 leaving $29 in my account. I called to dispute and finally after 2 phone calls to 4 different people, I was told the refund was already issued so there was nothing they could do and I would just have to wait. There were no courtesy calls and I wonder if they were just hoping I wouldn't notice. 50 hours and three calls to my bank later, the $441 was released back into my account. When I called, the manager even gave me the name of the staff member who had made the mistake and told me to talk to him. Seemed to me a bit like throwing a lamb to a lion, apparently there's no honour among thieves.
Upon arrival, reception was helpful but stale, lacking tact, patience, bedside manner and niceties. They seemed to be irritated and inconvenienced by my asking them to cooperate with the bank to correct THEIR error.
As for the room, the sink tap wobbled and the shower constantly lost heat... It would go from scalding to lukewarm three times within a 10 minute shower.
The room was clean and simple, on par with my expectations for an Ibis. The bed was too soft and air con temps are controlled by reception, not by room. Wifi, breakfast and parking are all too expensive. When you compare this with the calibre of other $210/night serviced apartments, this Ibis does little to compare. I'm assuming that pricing here is determined by location, because it's definitely not based on quality, customer service or value. The location is nearly this Ibis' only redeeming property.
All in all: Ideal for a one time stay, to use up a voucher or for a last minute stop over but keep looking, there is definately better value out there!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica G

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you had problems with your Accor Gift Card and it was not valid on arrival.

If I can further assist you please let me know.