“Good value for money”
Review of Hyde Park Inn

Hyde Park Inn
Ranked #49 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Have just checked out of the HPI and was very happy with the stay. Had only been booked in days ago and were able to be given a room in close proximity to family also staying in Sydney. Room size was more than comfortable, as were the beds. In a fantastic location that could be forgiven for being noisy but were able to shut out the noise and light to enjoy sleeping in. Service was pleasant, and continental inclusions came in handy. Would be more than happy to stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PattyBess
There are newer reviews for Hyde Park Inn

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Was a great place to stay.
Room was perfect for 3 adults, with a queen bed and a single bed. On site parking was included in the price of the room. The carpark is very tight which is fine for small cars but if you drive a large car/SUV it might be better to ask to park at the multi level at the end of the block. This carpark is also included in the room price.
Was surprised to discover breakfast was included and in the room on our arrival. It consisted of toast, cereal, fruit, juice & tea/coffee.
Check in and check out went smoothly and the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend to family & friends.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Loved this hotel - I went econo with a room at the back (no view). However rooms were spotless and staff very attentive & helpful. Nice size desk (I had work to do) and TV. Very quiet and great location next to the park. Short walk to Circular Quay and Darling Harbor.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the park would be nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BRL1960
Reviewed 6 June 2014

If you want fancy smanchy, this is not for you. There is no bar, restaurant or gym. But the location is excellent, the staff at reception friendly and competent, and the rooms look like they were renovated yesterday: large enough, stylish and very clean. Plus a view of Hyde Park.

The price is probably the cheapest of any respectable Sydney CBD hotel, and includes parking, WiFi, a newspaper, and a light breakfast supplied in the kitchenette. There were spare pillows and blankets. There was even ice in the fridge.

The hotel is opposite Museum Station, and within walking distance of Central Station, Chinatown and the Cook and Philip swimming pool.

If you don''t travel for the indulgence of your hotel, this could suit you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fufan
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at the Hyde Park Inn for 2 nights over the past weekend. I booked a family room via Quickbeds. After reading reviews on Trip Advisor, I called to see if I could upgrade to a balcony room, which I had read was recommended. I spoke to a lady who said I could for an extra $33 per night. No problems. We checked in on Friday night and liked the look of our room - until we saw the balcony. A tiny platform dominated by an air conditioning unit. You can barely fit 2 people on it. We had a lovely view of the park, however.

When checking in, Bernard took my $50 deposit and made no mention of the extra cost for the upgrade. When I saw the tiny balcony, I assumed we would not be charged extra for a tiny platform. Maybe my expectations were too high.

The room itself was serviceable, small kitchen, had to call down for a bottle opener and a cutting knife. Bread for toast seemed a bit stale, but the breakfast was included and adequate. The pillows were terribly hard and I ended up using one of the large green pillows to sleep on. Beds not too hard, not too soft.

The position is great, walking distance to shops and the quay. Double glazing was useful.

When we went to check out, I spoke to a lady called Marsha. I said I was not keen on paying an extra $33 per night for a small platform that masqueraded as a balcony. I mentioned that Bernard had not said anything about the extra cost when we checked in, so I assumed we did not have to pay for this "upgrade". Marsha indicated I was lying (in not so many words) which I did not appreciate at all.

Marsha was quite unpleasant to deal with. She asked why I did not mention the balcony issue when I checked in, and now I have "used the product" and complain. She said I could have complained at check in and she could have sold "the product" to someone else.

Maybe if she had been a bit nicer about it, I would not have got my back up. But she was simply unpleasant and not a nice representation of your staff, especially on the front desk. All in all, a bitter end to a reasonably enjoyable hotel experience. Can't say I'll be back in a hurry.

Room Tip: be prepared to pay money for a crappy balcony room that is really not worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Booked 2 apartments (one quin sharing and another quad sharing) for our family of 9, upon the recommendation of a cousin who is based in Sydney from May 15 to 20.

I initially had some hesitation about booking at Hyde Park Inn after reading several reviews on TA. However, we decided to make a go for it after our searches were not very fruitful. We specifically wanted apartments that had cooking facilities to cut down on food costs and wanted one in the city to save on travel costs due to the proximity to attractions & public transport.

Hyde Park Inn was a pleasant surprise. It is in a good location, just across the street from Hyde Park and walking distance to St. Mary's Cathedral, the Australian Museum, QVB, Town Hall, and a train station. We had a wide range of restos to choose from on days when we chose to eat out. There was a nearby Woolworth's which was convenient too.

Check-in was smooth and uneventful. The people at the front desk were efficient and helpful. Due to a mix-up in bringing our luggage to our rooms, a huge book of maps which was lent to us was inadvertently left on the luggage trolley. But no worries - It was found several hours after we reported it to the front desk. We had wanted adjacent rooms but were assigned rooms across opposite ends presumably because those rooms were the largest.

The rooms were simple, sparse, a bit tired (one of the drawer pulls in room 907 was missing & the carpet had a burn mark from a previous occupant using the iron on the floor) but nonetheless, clean and adequate. There was ample space for the number of suitcases we had for each apartment. We were given rooms on the 9th floor which had views of Hyde Park & the ANZAC War Memorial. The tiny balcony was an option for one who wanted to look out to the park. Not sure if the rooms were cleaned every day although there was some semblance of someone having entered our rooms because the beds were done each morning and towels folded. The bathroom was adequate although the shower area was quite cozy. We were supplied with shampoo & hand soap. Our towels were changed every day even if we hung them on the towel racks for reuse (as stated in their notice).

The kitchens of our 2 apartments had a different supply of dining and cooking needs. For instance our room did not have any pitcher while our 2nd apartment did not have microwavable serving bowls. There were not enough utensils for the number of people assigned to each room though. Fortunately, we had 2 apartments so we shared the resources. The good news is that the stove top, microwave and fridge work.

Every day we were given a supply of milk, juice, coffee, tea, fruits in cups, bread, jams, peanut butter, butter & vegemite for breakfast. These were adequate on days when we were in a rush to go out.

Check-out was fast & efficient.

If there is a point of improvement it would be in the area of housekeeping. The sliding door (leading to the balcony) of one of our apartments (room 901) was left open (presumably by housekeeping) while we were out. It caused considerable concern for us of course. We would have preferred to get feedback about the incident from the front desk, housekeeping or security after we reported it but did not get any. Fortunately nothing was taken. Perhaps it was an advantage that we were on the ninth floor.

Overall we were satisfied with our accommodations. It is a good option for families or for people travelling in a group who would like to have the option of cooking in. The location, as I said, was good, close to the train station and some attractions. It is not pretentious nor does it claim to be more than what it is. It is a practical option for smart travellers and in my opinion, good value for money.

Room Tip: Request for rooms on higher floors and facing Hyde Park.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank luzonersseetheworld
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I enquired originally through the Stayz site. My enquiry was answered promptly, and as they only had a room with three beds left, they offered a roll away and breakfast for the 4th person at no extra charge. The room was large, with a seating area, and teeny kitchen, with a microwave, toaster etc. The beds, including the roll away were comfy, not too hard!!, which is almost a miraculous occurrence!, and everything was nice and clean. Our check in and out, while not particularly friendly, was efficient.
The brekky included consisted of 2 pieces of bread (to toast) butter and a selection of spreads (not enough vegemite though!!!!), a little cereal and milk, an OJ cup, and a fruit tub.
As we didn't have a car, and 2 moany teenagers who think walking is a form of torture, the central location was perfect. 20 minutes to circular key, and 15 min to darling harbor.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family