Oaks Hyde Park Plaza
  • Free Internet
Museum Lodge(Sydney)
  • Fitness centre
View Hotel
All reviewshyde parkgreat locationrooftop poolmuseum train stationpark viewsmall kitchenone bedroom apartmentfull kitchengreat roomeasy walkpublic transportdarling harbouropera housekylieasifigacbd
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed at the Oaks Hyde Park Plaza over New Year and I think the 3.5 star rating on the Oaks website is very, very generous.

Like a lot of other travellers have written, this accommodation is very tired and really does need some money spent on sprucing it up.

Firstly, the location is terrific. Right across the road from lovely Hyde Park and an easy walk down to Pitt Street Mall or across to Darling Harbour. Checkin was quick and efficient given the busy holiday season, and the gent at the front desk was helpful with relocating our car to the Pullman next door as the Oaks carpark was full. That is about where the positives end unfortunately.

To begin, the lifts are very slow. I know this sounds pedantic, but the state of the lift foyer and interior of the lifts is disgusting. The buttons on the lifts look like they've melted. This as a first impression doesn't bode well.

The carpet in the common areas is downright gross.

The room itself wasn't too bad. I assume it's one of the rooms that has been afforded a little makeover. The kitchen was clean, the sofa was ok and the bed was two singles joined together. Bed linen was clean. Bed was hard and bordering on uncomfortable. I was hesitant to walk bare foot on the carpet - it did have a dirty feel about it. The configuration of this particular room was very odd, with the TV at right angles to the bed and not facing the sofa.

The bathroom was just ok as far as cleanliness, but the plumbing was atrocious. The tap in the sink didn't fully turn off and we were forced to shut two doors so as not to hear the constant dripping. Water didn't drain away from the sink and even a quick wash of the hands meant a sink full of water sitting in the bowl for sometime before it drained, amplifying the dripping. The toilet didn't fully flush either. Towels were ok, but would be nice if they upgraded them to newer ones. Would also be nice to have a spare bath towel given the servicing was reduced over the holiday season.

Would I stay here again? No.

Maybe ok for budget conscious travellers, backpackers or people who don't mind about cosmetic detail, but for business travellers or someone wanting a little more out of their stay in Sydney, try elsewhere.

Unfortunately I can't recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank HappyWanderer72
Manjil D, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Guest,
We value your comments as this provides us with an opportunity to improve our products and services constantly in achieving the overall guest experience at our property.
The team at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza would like to extend their sincere apologies regarding the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay.
Contents of your feedback were noted and we have had a closer look at the areas that were highlighted in your comments.

The Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment, which includes the over all lobby, guest lifts and all the guest rooms.

We appreciate your valuable feedback and do hope you will afford us the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Got placed in a newly renovated room, which is clean and comfortable, a nice contrast to the very old public areas. Only let down in the room is the air-con which was barely cool, not good during mid-summer in Sydney.

Location good, close walk to downtown Sydney. Staff welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CT1002
Manjil D, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza.

As you have noticed that the refurbished rooms are of high demand!!

We at Hyde Park Plaza, try our best to upgrade all of our guest into our newly refurbished rooms when ever possible as we want our valued guest to experience the new fresh rooms and try get the feedbacks on them.

The refurbishment work is in full swing and once completed, it will be our pleasure have our guest enjoy the new, modern and chic apartments at the heart of the Sydney City.

Apart from the rooms, the lobby area, guest lift and our gym is scheduled for a face lift early this year.

This is a exciting time at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza as such we cant wait the completion of the rennovation work!!

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Booked a 3 night stay midweek through the entertainment book. The location was good for what I needed but the positives stopped there. I had been told over the phone when booking that I had confirmed a refurbished 4.5 star apartment. On check in I headed up to my apartment only to be greeted by a 1960s style apartment with dirty carpet, a punch hole is the wall, stained kitchen, mouldy bathroom, no lounge but 2 single beds in the lounge room, the tiniest TV.

I went back to reception and said they must have given me the wrong room as it wasn't refurbished or even close to 4.5 stars. The woman at the counter didn't apologies or seemed phased but gave me new keys. I tried again... Again a 1960s style apartment, this time the garbage chute ran through the wall so everything clunked past the bed head! This was on a lower floor and the noise from the road was deafening. By now I was cranky. I went back to reception this time a different person was there. I again said I had booked a newly refurbished 4.5 star room. I was then informed that they were upgrading their apartments and some were done and some weren't. Even though my booking said 4.5 stars I was told "madam you booked a discount rate so you get older room". No matter what my booking confirmation said they were insistent that my 10% discount meant I got an old, dirty, noisy room.

I was ready to demand a refund and go somewhere else when they finally agreed to give me what I had booked and paid for. Only because there were 3 other guests complaining about the state of their rooms.

The updated rooms are so much nicer but still nowhere near 4.5 star quality. For the price I'd definitely stay somewhere else next time.

I've written a complaint letter to management (the first I've ever written in my life) and followed up with a phone call but to no response, not even an acknowledgment.
The attitude of this establishment is appalling. If you book and expect 4.5 star, make sure you triple check and get it in writing that you are guaranteed a refurbished room. The breakfast across the road at the Y hotel is good value!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mela_Traveller

Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay.

The 4 star apartments are not the refurbished apartment, however they have had soft refurbishment in the recent time.

I do apologise if you were not properly informed about the room types.

I am please to note that my staff were able to get you the refurbished apartment.
Due to limited availabilty and advance bookings, these rooms are usually booked out most of the time.

Again, thanks for your comments and we do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future to experience our newly upgraded rooms.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I booked on line before reading any reviews so was very nervous when we arrived because by then I had thought to read the reviews of which some were very bad I mentioned this to the chap on the front desk who then went out of his way to ensure we received a very nice room, the staff were very helpful and friendly, I agree parking certainly isn't the best for the price but at least they do have parking. Location is great, I would stay there again but once again would make sure that I received a refurbished room. Overall quite pleasant!

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting the feedback.

I am pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us here.

We at Oaks Hyde Park try our best that all guest are accomodated in the rennovated rooms when ever possible.

However once we complete the rennovation work then this will be the thing of the past !!

Once again, thank you for your post and look forward to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We recently stayed at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza whilst away on a romantic Sydney weekend away. Whilst the common areas of the hotel are run down and in need or refurbishment, our renovated room was clean & lovely. Best part about this hotel is the staff, a very special mention to Dion who went above and beyond for us, ensuring we had a wonderful time. He truly is an asset to this hotel! Thank you Dion!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luv2wanderlust

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting the review.

The team at Hyde Park Plaza are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us here.

I am pleased to learn that Dion went out of his way to assist you whilst your stay. He recently got himself transferred from our sister property to Hyde Park and since then have been a great assest to the property.

Oaks Hyde Park Plaza is undergoing renovation at the moment and this will include our lobby area as well as this part do looks bit out dated and needs immediate face lift.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcome you back in the near future.