“Surprising value”

Ranked #102 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Devonport
“Surprising value”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I'd stayed here a few times before and love the location, opposite Hyde Park, big windows, sun streaming in, located so well for shopping, restaurants, cafes, trains and entertainment.
The refurbished rooms are as per the photos, very fresh and clean. Great constrasting colours, spacious, well thought out.
Penny at reception is a gem, she worked so hard to get me a room with a view, and was eager to assist with all my needs, She impressed me so much I bought flowers for her !
I didn't see the older rooms, the lifts and passage ways still need the makeover, the pool and spa on the roof have great views, and the gym has a view too.
Overall I had a great stay and would certainly come back again.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the park when booking, and higher up the better to cut out the street noise as...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Manjil D, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that the location of Oaks Hyde Park Plaza was convenient for your stay and that you found the facilities of your room sufficient.

It is delighting to find that Penny had assisted you in your needs and she appreciated the flowers greatly.

Oaks Hyde Park Plaza is currently undergoing refurbishment and is in a working process to revise the common areas of the building.

Once again we thank you for your positive feedback in regards to your stay and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Denhams Beach
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel was easy to find. Despite heavy traffic we were able to pull into the front of it but then had to reverse a bit to go into their parking area. This is a very tight squeeze for a 4WD. The reception was very efficient and friendly. We had a studio room which was large, modern, clean and comfortable. The view of the skyline was lovely - just don't look down on a flat rooftop with some rubbish on it. I could suggest a soap dish on the bathroom vanity and while there is a big wardrobe, there are no drawers for clothes. There is a very good Thai restaurant attached to the hotel and a bottle shop just around the corner. The location is great. For the price we paid, we would definitely stay again. Hallways look like they could do with a paint!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your positive feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Oaks Hyde Park Plaza. I am glad to read that you have found the reception staff efficient and friendly and will certainly pass on your praise to them.

We are currently in the process of renovating Oaks Hyde Park Plaza to uphold the standards in which we strive to achieve.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Oaks Hyde Park Plaza during your next stay in Sydney.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This is the FIRST hotel where the staff have "welcomed" me to the hotel, it was a very nice surprise , so many hotels could learn from the staff at this hotel...10/10. The room was big,very clean,great bed,good bathroom,some noise from room above but no big deal. The location is fantastic, train station close by and many places to eat.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Manjil D, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. Me and my team are really over the moon with your kind words regarding the service provided by us.

Once again, thank you for your comment and look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I popped into Sydney for business for a night, and wanted to be near Hyde Park where my meetings would be. My team booked me in to Oaks Hyde Plaza, and I felt a little trepidation when I read reviews here on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasant surprise when I walked in, got a friendly and efficient welcome at reception. I was allocated a refurbished room which was very nice. The room was appropriately decorated and the fittings and furnishings were as new. The kitchenette was spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. For the price I paid it was very good value. I'd say Oaks Hyde Park Plaza was more serviced apartments than a hotel - for example, the in room dining is subcontracted out to an off-site catering and delivery company. However, if you want a clean, competitively priced place to stay in Sydney, this will suffice. Just make sure you get a refurbished room!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing the feedback on your recent stay.

As you have noticed, we are Serviced apartments with best value for money.

Refurbishment work is in full swing and hopefully get all the rooms upto the standard we are striving for.

The lobby area and other common areas will get a face lift during this year as well.

Once again, thank you for your time and look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is supposedly refurbished but the hallways and common areas need much improvements. Rooms are basic, but we saw a few rooms and some seem great and others not. Front desk is ok, nothing special. Kitchen in rooms had basic tools, beds were pretty uncomfortable. Only selling point is the great location on Hyde Park. I would not stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank merestarks
Thanks for posting a review.
We appreciate your feedback, however regret that you were not totally satisfied with the hotel. We are pleased to advise that we are currently undergoing many upgrades around the hotel and this includes our lifts, rooms, pool/spa, to name a few.
Contents of your feedback were noted and we have had a closer look at the areas that were highlighted in your comments.
Our hotel is currently going under renovations and we are scheduled to renovate the lobby in early 2014.
Again, thanks for your comments and we do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future to experience our newly upgraded areas.

Manjil

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Our refurbished one bedroom apartment was just great. The bed was very comfortable with lovely white bedding. The bathroom has the best shower with plenty of hot water and the kitchenette was very roomy and included a dishwasher. The location is perfect. On the crossroads to every where in Sydney. Short train trip to the Quay and buses to everywhere. The staff are absolutely wonderful and couldn't be more helpful. Even though if was noisy outside, inside was surprisingly quiet. Air conditioned for your comfort and two balconies, what a treat. This building is being refurbished and the lobby and lifts are next to be done so don't be put off, it is a great place to stay and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished and on the corner of the building if you like a great view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Manjil D, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting such a great review.

Me and my staff thoroughly enjoyed reading the feedback.

It is always gratifing to know that our guest enjoyed their stay - this is what we are about and what we strive for on daily basis.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and your patronage.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Excellent stay at the Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, would absolutely stay again and we are! Not long after Christmas i booked this hotel for my mother who came to Australia for a holiday. She was so happy with the service and how clean it was.
I've viewed the photographs on here and I have to say that I was appalled to see them as they look like a completely different hotel!
My partner and I were staying on the ninth floor, park view, which i have to stress was pretty impressive. There was a flat screen television in the bedroom as well as the living area but we were able to watch Sydney skyscrapers all lit up from the bed, sofa and kitchen.. no need for tv!
When we were told they had a pool i quickly bought a swim suit and I'm so glad i did! at around 8pm in the dark and in the rain we went swimming in the outside, heated pool and the outside, heated jacuzzi!! both were very clean, very warm and located on the roof!! they had fancy LED lights in the pool and also a sauna.
my parter and I would normally just sleep in a hotel and seek entertainment but our stay at the Oaks Hyde Park Plaza was different. In our room we had a fully equipped kitchen, it even had a digital dishwasher! in saying this we were able to walk 5 mins into the city to buy food instead of going out for dinner we had a romantic dinner in our room with our pleasant views and our own music as i could plug my phone into the iPod doc!
the bed was very comfortable, sheets and pillows where very clean and room was very slick and modern.
I would be extremely happy to stay here again and we most certainly will!

Room Tip: i would prefer a room with a park view but only to see the sydney lights!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a wonderful feedback, could not have said it much better!!

Me and my team are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The roof top pool, the hotel location and friendly staff and great rooms - This is what we are mostly renowned for.

Once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcome you back in the near future.