“Great location, not worth the money paid..”

Oaks Hyde Park Plaza
Ranked #103 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Hobart, Australia
“Great location, not worth the money paid..”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I live in Sydney, my mother flew in from Hobart, Tasmania to come and visit for the weekend 16/08 -18/08 and needed a hotel for the two nights. The Oaks was chosen based on availability, price and location. She paid around $400 in total for the 2 night stay, Sat and Sunday night. Check in was Sat afternoon, she was placed on the 15th floor, the top floor of the hotel. She had booked a Queen Size Studio room as I was going to stay with her.

The room had a small double bed only, the walls were filthy dirty! There were hand prints and marks on nearly every wall. There was a massive crack in the wall near the front door right up into the roof. There were scuff marks along most of the walls also. We were really dissappointed, this was not $200 per night value. The only good thing about the room was the large terrace balcony over looking Hyde Park.

We went down to reception to advise the bed was a small double, only just big enough for the two of us, (lucky we are quite small framed, otherwise it wouldn't have been) of the dirty room and crack in the wall. We were told they were quite booked for the Sat night but could upgrade to a refurbished room for the Sunday night, which we accepted. The bed was average at best and the next morning the shower also broke, the hot water tap fell off.

Sunday afternoon we returned to the hotel and were re assigned a room on the 7th floor. This was a much nicer room! It had a large queen size bed, refurbished kitchen and bathroom and nice carpet. The walls were clean and looked freshly painted. This was worth the money and had we been assigned this room to start with there would not have been any complaints.

A tip for anyone wanting to stay at this hotel, upon booking make sure you ask for a refurbished room!!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sammi14
Manjil D, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time in sharing your review of your recent stay at the Hotel. I was most concerned to read of your overall disappointment and sicerelly apologies that we did not meet your expectations.

Your feedback is truly valuable and this allows us to review our service and product as such I have followed up on the isuues you mentioned with our Housekeeping Manager to address accordingly.

i am pleased however that staff were able to move you to one of our refurbished apartment the next day. I would like to futher advise you that all our 3 stars apartments will be refurbished soon including the one you were in the first night.

Once again, our apologies for the lapse in our standard on this occassion and trust you will see a marked improvement on your next stay with us.

Manjil Dhungana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 17 August 2014

It was really an awsome experience with OAKS Hyde park Plaza . Specially I want to thank toMr Jiten Koirala and Miss Margret . The Hotel facility was really appreciable . I want to suggest if people are oing for a vacation with their family I will suggest to stay in OAKS .

Room Tip: Go For the suit if you are going with your family
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Visesh B
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to share your experience of the Hotel.

Such a delight to read your positive comments and I am most pleased you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

I have also conveyed to Jit and Margaret your kind words of the friendly and helpful service you received.

I trust you had a lovely trip and look forward to the oppurtunity of welcoming you back in the neare future

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed at the Oaks on Hyde park several times in the last 6 months and will keep staying there whenever I'm in Sydney as I can't fault the staff, location and facilities ! The rooms are always immaculate, the staff are friendly and ready to help and the location is fantastic as it's only a short distance to all Sydney has to offer. I am so glad I have found an establishment that I can rely on for a great experience, time and time again !!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are the best !
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Paul,
Thank you for your continued patronage at the Oaks Hyde Park Plaza and taking your time in sharing your review.
I am most delighted you enjoy your stays with us and in particulary find our staff helpful and welcoming.

It is always a pleasure to read that we have provide exceptional service, and we are looking forward to your return in due course.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

we have good experience when we stayed there. started with the location-very centralised, friendly front desk, clean and beautiful room with city view. all perfect.
all Staff is very helpfull to provide facilities inside the room. you do not need to worry about transport as the public transport is few steps away from the hotel. or you just walk it to everywhere in city. no regrets...

Room Tip: new refurbished room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Manjil D, Front Office Manager at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza.

I am most delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and found our facilities of excellent standard.

Thank you for your positive feedback and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Manjiil Dhungana
Australind, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the Oaks Hyde Plaza over the last weekend and the service was wonderful.
Front office staffs greeted us on check-in and made us feel very welcome. Whilst we were to early to check-in we were able to store our luggage in the meantime.

We stayed in the room which was newly refurbished. It was gorgeous with simple decor but had the view of the park.

I would definitely recommend giving Oaks Hyde Park Plaza a go. Only if you do, request a park view it's beautiful in the morning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking your time in sharing your review. I am delighted to hear of your enjoyable stay and you found our services and facilities up to the standard.

Our staff are also honoured by your kind words and are pleased that they made your stay enjoyable.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I came over to Sydney for a business trip and a friend had recommended this place to me, I was glad i took her advice as the hotel had great service, a convenient location and a wonderful view from my room. The rooms are worth their money and overall I had a nice, enjoying and comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
It is always pleasing to read of our guests enjoying the service and facilities the hotel has to offer.

We take pride in ensuring high standard and guest satisfaction, and our staff are very appriciative of your recognition of their amazing service.

The hotel is perfect for short and long city stay for business and leisure travels alike with our convinient location.

Once again, thank you for your sharing your experience and look forward to welcome you in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I was at Oaks during the city to surf marathon. front office staff Jit was kind enough to check me in early as I arrived at nine in the morning.
the room had recently been renovated with all modern comfort.
next day the staff help me again to store my luggage until the evening.
overall I had a great stay and will be back again!!

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting such a lovely review.

We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza.

I have also conveyed to the staff your kind words of the friendly and helpful service you received.

I look forward to the oppurtunity of welcoming you back in the near future.