“Excellent location”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #26 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful weeks holiday in this lovely hotel recently.Very pleasant receptionist who upgraded us,as part of our Ambassador Membership,to a bedroom with a wonderful view facing out to the Botanic Gardens and harbour.Bedroom was well laid out with a huge picture window with window seat to enjoy the views and,although the bed appeared to be rather old,bedlinen was crisp and comfortable. The swimming pool has the most wonderful view and although small,is adequate if not too many people swimming.Buffet breakfast in the Opera Dining Room had a good choice of food but is quite small with tables very close together,however,there were tables set up in the cloisters which were much more comfortable and private.We only ate dinner there once, as it was also buffet but with a very disappointing choice of food and very expensive for what is offered.The atrium of the hotel houses a very comfortable bar area which had excellent food and very good service.Concierge staff were very knowledgeable and efficient and the location of the hotel could not have been better as it was only a short walk to the harbour,opera house,rocks area and shopping. All in all a very nice hotel and one I would recommend very highly.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Mariem60

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased to see you had a wonderful week with us.

With regards to your comment about the bed, we are currently in the process of replacing all the beds in the hotel. I have also noted your review of our buffet options and will pass it on to our Executive Chef.

Thank you again. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again one day.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We love staying here when we are in Sydney. The location is fantastic being right next to Circular Quay and the Opera House, while the rooms are beautiful and a pleasure to be in. Worth the price tag for a few nights of complete luxury.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Paula M

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to know you had a most enjoyable stay with us.

We do hope to welcome you again one day.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was there on business trip. Rooms facing the bridge are very expensive and not necessarily worth it. Best thing is probably to go to a cheaper room and save for the upgrade to have access to the Intercontinental Club (31st floor). This place is an absolute must. It has a fantastic view on the bridge and the Opera House. It offers drinks and food until 6pm and then the same food than the room service.
For the rest, the rooms are quiet, the breakfast is very very nice with a very large choice of everything you can dream of. The swimming pool on the 31st floor is also offering an amazing view. The fitness is small but OK.
On the negatives, I have a very hard time to understand the concept of making you pay for internet access at a five star hotel or that it does not offer a complimentary bottle of water in the room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Thomas L

I appreciate the time you took to write a review of our hotel and I am pleased you had an overall enjoyable stay. We will take your feedback into consieration.

Thank you for the compliments of our Club InterContinental Lounge.

We do hope to welcome you again one day.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during a trip to Australia. Stayed on IHG points as a Platinum Ambassador. The hotel is well located, very near the Opera House and the CBD, just a few minutes walk from the Quay station. The interior of the hotel is very nice and sharp looking. Check in was friendly and efficient, in fact so efficient, that it was politely made clear that being on an award stay, I would not receive the benefits normally assigned to Ambassador status with IHG, despite the fact that I had not mentioned it or even asked since I already know that IHG is generally reprehensibly poor about any kind of elite status on non paid stays. It was just very odd, as the lady at the desk went out of her way to point it out, which really left a very "since you are using points, you are a far less important customer." Strangely, I have never understood chains that do not respect benefits on award stays, and differentiate between paid and award stays. I mean, who do you think are the customers who HAVE 50,000 points PER NIGHT to redeem in your hotel? Generally the most loyal ones to begin with, so isolating them on award stays seems self defeating. At any rate, we went up to our very standard room to rest a bit after check in.

Upon arriving at the room, which had a view of NOTHING, not even a basic upgrade to a better view of perhaps the Opera house, I found a letter from a manager. I presume it was the GM, as most properties do something like that, where they leave a little pseudo handwritten note thanking you for your stay. This note however, basically consisted of a letter saying, and I am paraphrasing "thank you for your stay, and we would like to remind you that certain Ambassador benefits do not apply as you are on points." It then went on to spell that out AGAIN. I mean, I get it, I am less than a dog apparently if I use 50,000 points a night...do you have to keep reminding me?

Otherwise, the room was nicely appointed and comfortable. I have no issues with it. The bathroom was a fair size, although a little small, but very useable. The location of the hotel was good, as mentioned. Overall, I got what I paid for, which was a standard room of the lowest category on points. Now, to be fair, as an Ambassador with IHG you are not entitled to much, but a fruit platter would have been nice, and that IS still a stated benefit among other things. At any rate, the hotel is nice, but if I was staying in Sydney again, it would not be my first choice, but would suffice. Overall a very nice hotel in a good location. See my other reviews for my first choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank antonius66
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Sir

I do thank you for your very comprehensive review following you recent stay with us and I would like to take this opportunity to confirm that we do and have followed all the guidelines of the Ambassador Membership program. I give you my personal assurance that we do follow the guidelines which are in place for very good reason, this is to ensure all Ambassador as well as Royal Ambassadors receive a consistent level of service.

We very much value the Ambassador program and therefore we make it our priority to deliver all entitlements as per the terms and conditions of membership without fail.

I can see you feel very strongly about being provided additional benefits outside of the program and therefore I have taken the liberty to flag your concerns with Ambassador Services.

I am pleased you found our rooms nicely appointed as well as comfortable and do hope your stay was enjoyed overall.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was here on a business trip. It's not the cheapest hotel but you are right next to Circular Quai and the opera house. Part of the building is historic and blends well with the new part. The bar serves excellent food and wine. Service is friendly. The gym is a bit small but has all the necessary equipment. Great view of the opera house from the pool, you need to check it out!

Room Tip: The higher you are, the better view you get from the harbour.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear stefkes

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so pleased that we were able to make your business trip more comfortable and enjoyable.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Clearly the intercontinental is beautiful hotel, well run etc. And its in a killer location right down near Circular Quay with views overlooking the harbour.

Room was nice: great shower, very comfy bed, functional furniture. Could be stylishly minimalist or just business oriented.

That being so its a pretty pricey experience. On top of the rate, you have the usual high-end money machine of $8.00 bottles of water, $95.00 buffet dinners etc. So if you are going to take advantage of what the hotel has to offer you can expect another $150 or so day.

First world problem, right?

Which is the point. Its great, but you can get all of the food, cafes etc more cheaply and arguably of better quality in central Sydney, and you can just walk down to the harbour to look at it from hotels which are half the price.

I needed the location on this trip, but I don't think it quite justifies itself on cost grounds compared to what you could do with the money nearby in Sydney.

Unfortunately, the very best thing about the Intercontinental - the views from the top floor - are now highly restricted to the Executive Lounge which is not available to all guests. They did, however, train the young man on the desk to say "No Sir, that will be an additional $165.00 to get into the Lounge tonight" almost as if it was a perfectly sensible proposition. Now that is a cover charge, even at a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Its good, but costly.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank altakoi
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Altakoi

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased that overall you did enjoy your stay and the location of InterContinental Sydney. I do agree the location is wonderful.

I would like to assure you though that our pricing is very in line with all 5 star hotels, especially in Sydney. You will also find our buffet pricing is very in line with what we do offer and is also ver comparable to harbour restaurants in Sydney.

I am very sorry you were not aware to access our Club InterContinental you must book a Club room, the rate is of course higher as it includes many additional benefits such as breakfast, continuous refreshments daily, evening twilight drinks along with a canape buffet, exclusive acces as well as other benefits such as the most wonderful harbour views. This is our Executive Lounge where access is limited to only guests who have reserved a Club room.

I do hope this informatiion assists you for a future visit.

Thank you again and we do hope to welcome your return to InterContinental Sydney.

With warm regards

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times for business and find it to also be in a great location for restaurants and shopping. The rooms are very nice , modern and clean which you would expect from this hotel. Found the staff that I dealt with to be professional. Had breakfast in the hotel and found it to be very good and catered to all tastes.

Room Tip: Request a harbour room if available.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear runningrugby

A pleasure to read your review and we apprecaite that you have shared your experience via Tripadvisor.

We do hope to welcome you once again in the very near future.

General Manager.