“Best location for first Sydney visit”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #24 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Victoria, Canada
“Best location for first Sydney visit”
Reviewed 29 September 2010

We chose this hotel as our base for a six-night visit to the Sydney area. The location is perfect for walking to Circular Quay, the Rocks and the CBD. I most appreciated that it is located directly across the street from the Royal Botanic Gardens, since I took morning runs through them and around the Opera House each morning.

The hotel integrates Sydney's historic Treasury Building into a modern hotel structure. The result is far more interesting, from an architectural point of view, than a typical corporate hotel. We found our room and bathroom to be on the smaller side, but both to be comfortable, quiet and clean. There is a nice window seat, which is an unusual feature.

My only suggestion for improvement is for the hotel to offer internet rates that are competitive internationally. We paid twice what I pay at the Four Seasons in North America. Free WiFi access in the lobby would be a reasonable amenity for guests. We walked to McDonalds instead, which offered free access. Seemed strange to be staying at an InterCon, and having to walk to McDonalds to check email.

I would recommend this hotel primarily for its fantastic location.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank foliesdecognac
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your review after staying 6 nights with us. It is most pleasing to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and also your appreciation of the architecture of the building. There are many wonderful features of the hotel which are heritage listed, and admired frequently by our guests.

Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Fred Matti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We had an overnight stay at the Sydney Intercontinental in September and enjoyed our stay so much that we intend to recommend it to friends and come with them next time. The staff were warm and friendly and our rooms was well appointed. Our deluxe harbour view room had a great view of the bridge and harbour. We enjoyed drinks and snacks in the warm ambience of the hotel bar area, Cortile. Cortile is a great area to meet with friends - loved the sandstone, seating and lighting. We finished off our stay with a wonderful buffet breakfast in Cafe Opera. The Intercontinental has great proximity to the Opera House, Circular Quay and The Rocks. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
It was a pleasure to read your review and thank you. It is pleasing to know you will be returning to us along with your friends.

The Cortile is a lovely spot for a relaxing drink with friends and family. It's great to know your experience at InterContinental Sydney was everything you expected.

Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming your return.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Stayed three nights and enjoyed every moment. The setting was perfect and the hotel staff were the best I had ever come across. Their politeness and assistance made our stay even more memorable. Management deserve a big pat on the back for a well run operation. The hotel is very central to all amenities and attractions. Within walking distance to everything.The hotel Restaurant (Cafe Opera) is so good there is no need to dine anywhere else. In fact after a day out sightseeing I looked forward to getting back to the hotel to relax and the sheer pleasure of being there. The cost is reasonable considering what you get. I would rate this place very highly toanyone.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and the pat on the back. It is most pleasing to receive such great feedback regarding your stay as well as our great colleagues. They are very proud and wonderful ambassadors for InterContinental Sydney.

Again thank you and we do look forward to welcoming your return.

London
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I was in Sydney between the 11th and 23rd of September on business and I have chosen the InterContinental Hotel for my stay.
I arrived at the hotel on a Saturday night and quickly the staff got my bags and the check in was quick and efficient. I was given a room on the 25th floor with City Views which might not be as good as the harbour but it was at the corner of the hotel so I had no noise at all.
The room was nicely decorated and clean and a nice fruit platter (which was maintain during my stay ) was waiting for me with a handwritten letter welcoming me which it was nice.
Breakfast in the hotel was fine but not one of the best I ever had but no complains about it. The hotel bar on the other hand was great for light dinner and drinks and the service was excelent with the staff been friendly and efficient.
Location wise not only it was not far from our local office but I was only few minutes from the Sydney main attractions i.e. Opera/Bridge etc which it was great as some nights I was able to go for a quick and relaxing walk around the sites.
One thing I was impressed with the facilities was the TV system they have in the rooms. Not only you have a good LCD screen but also a fully digital high quality TV system which is nice to see as I do not often see that in hotels. From what I have been told is a very new installation.
Price wise is what you excpect of a hotel of its class and location so not cheap..
I would say overall I was very pleased with my choise and my stay was confortable so next time I am back in Sydney it will be my first choice.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
What a great review thank you. It is pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay with us and we met your expectations.

You are correct, we have recently had our TV system upgraded for the enjoyment of our guests.

Again thank you and we look forward to having you return to us in the near future.

Country NSW
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We stayed 2 nights on the weekend in a King Deluxe Harbour View Room, which had a fantastic view of the Harbour Bridge. The hotel was really conveniently located near Circular Quay & the Opera House. The staff were great, really helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We didn't eat in the restaurants but did have roomservice one night which was very nice. I thought it was very handy having the beauty salon on site - great if you have a special occassion planned. We had a great stay, will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, 24 September 2010
Thank you for staying with us, it is pleasing to know that you enjoyed everything about your stay.

Hopefully next time you will be able to enjoy dinner in our Cafe Opera.

Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Sydney

Brisbane
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Stayed here for 1 night with friends. The rooms were clean and modern. We had a great view of the harbour. All interactions with staff were very friendly and helpful, especially concierge.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review and for choosing InterContinental Sydney, it is pleasing to know you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to having you return.

dus
Reviewed 18 September 2010

I loved this place. Not only because I got a wonderful RA upgrade to a massive suite but also because of the wonderful club, the wonderful location and really good staff. The vew from both, my suite and the club was breathtaking and you could literally grab the Opera and the Bridge. Most tourist places in downtown Sydney are in walking distance. Cab to the airport is convenient and not too expensive

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your great review and I am pleased to you enjoyed the wonderful views and had a great time.

Our colleagues aim to please and it is great to know we have achieved this.

Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming your back to InterContinental Sydney.