“Great location, everything just as we wanted”
Review of Macleay Hotel

Macleay Hotel
Ranked #48 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We booked here solely based on combination of reviews (on TripAdvisor) and price, and we were NOT disappointed.

Hotel is easy to get to, just a 10 minute walk from Kings Cross train station, and the service we received upon check-in was first class, starting with being able to check in a little after 10AM. The desk attendant gave us a 10 minute guide to getting around the city by bus and on foot, explaining how to get to the Opera House through the gardens, etc. Excellent.

Our room was small, but had everything we needed. We didn't use the small electric kitchen
but it was there if we needed if we were staying longer. The TV was a little dated, but had digital channels and was fine for the small amount of time we actually watched it. Everything was clean and crisp, free newspaper in the morning as well :)

It has to be said again that this location is excellent. A beautiful leisurely half hour walk to the Opera House, through the Botanical Gardens, and countless places to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner within a 5 minute walk. Highly recommend La Buvette on Challis St for breakfast and Fratelli Fresh on Macleay for dinner

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Good Points:
Cheap for Sydney! as everywhere is expensive
Nice area away from the high rise city
Harbour is walkable through the botanical gardens which is lovely
Great views if your on 7/8 floor with a corner room
Free wifi in lobby
Some staff are very helful
Opposite Woolies for supplies
Near Kings Cross station
Not so good points:
Very tired old Travelodge style rooms that need updating (relects price!)
Some hygiene issues - nothing major
Pool is not on rooftop as described and very small

There was some confusion when we booked in as Expedia had said that this hotel offered free wifi we assumed in was in the rooms but it was only in the lobby. There was building works going on so very noisey and pool was out of action, we were told this was advertised on Expedia but we showed the staff that infact it was not showing up on the mobile version - the manager was very good and offered us free dinner. I would recommend this hotel as the small kitchenette allows you to have breakfast and snacks as Sydney is SOOOOO expensive. The walk to the harbour is lovely through the gardens and Kings Cross at night is not that scarey!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2013

overall I had a nice 4 days' stay . I loved the location and anyway the hotel was not expensive at all compared to Sydney standards.
reading other reviews , I was expecting s to find an hotel well run , with a need of refurbishing (but this justifies the low fares) and so it was!
PROS: the room was cozy, with lot of light and a great view. the small kitchen was ok to prepare quick meals and breakkie..
CONS i just had some hygiene issues: I had to ask to change the shower curtain because there was some brown " substance " on it , and , trust me, that was pretty gross and I preferred not to ask myself what it could be..........
plus I asked few times to vacuum well the carpet because there was a big nail on it but the day I left , it was still there .
the remote control was covered with something sticky and when I asked the receptionist if they had something to clean it , he looked at me a bit annoyed saying he couldn't help ...
i travel a lot and I'm very flexible and understanding but when it's about HYGIENE , I give no excuses : things should be fixed immediately.
that's the reason of the 3 stars (and not more ) in my review.
apart from the guy who didn't understand why I was not happy with a crusty remote control , the staff was always smily .

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Macleay Hotel for a 50th birthday holiday for my sister. Although they were working on the outside of the building when we stayed there, this did not disrupt us at all. The staff were all very friendly and the old dog belonging to one of the staff was a nice talking point. The rooms were compact but comfortable (we stayed in a twin room on the first floor). It was very close to a bus stop and Woolworths and Kings Cross Station was only a 5 minute walk away. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Would be a good idea to make sure that you don't get a room next to the lifts.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I first stayed at the Macleay several years ago when I was looking on the internet for an affordable room in Potts Point or nearby. At that time no mention was made of the view so imagine my surprise when I threw open the curtains to be presented with a glorious vista of Elisabeth Bay and out to the Heads.
The second time I stayed my room had an equally impressive view to the west - the Opera House and the Bridge. Beautiful.
These days the rooms with a view attract a premium price, but it is still a good place to stay; close to everything and the rooms are clean and comfortable. They even have a little kitchen for those on a budget and there's a Woolies across the road.

Room Tip: Worth the extra to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

Our introduction to the area after trundling our cases up through the, er, lively and adult Kings Cross area by the station was a little concerning. However the Area around the hotel was fine with lots of nice little bars and restaurants. I'd endorse the previous review: get a mymulti1 transport pAss and use the convenient buses and trains to get about. That said, our Taxi back to the airport for 4 of us was AU$40 so it was cheaper than the shuttle bus and definitely safer than dragging your family through Kings Cross at night.
Appartments were fine, not large (we'd just come from a much larger apartment in port Douglas ) and with 4 in the room it was a bit like being in a caravan. The kitchenette was rather basically equipped but had 2 electric rings and a microwave/grill, but ni extractor fan, and we scrounged extra kitchen knives from reception to make a go of self catering. Microwave dishes and serving dishes would have been useful when preparing meals.. We used the barbecue on the back balcony ( so no frying smells in the room) but I'd suggest you get reception to show you how it works in the daylight. A Woolies with a good selection is opposite and made self catering quite easy. The lobby is full at nights with people using the courtesy free Internet ( room Internet isn't free) and our login was temperamental at first but ok on subsequent days. Reception were generally helpful. Room servicing came daily at flexible times (ie waited until we left our room) and kept our room spotless, and changed towels, topped up loo roll etc. Washing machines are in a laundry room not the bedroom, one on each floor and are pay per use (about au$ 3). The hotel was having facade work done during our stay but it didn't disturb us.
Plus- location, value, supermarket opposite, plugs into public transport easily, pleasant local area, helpful staff
Minus- room size, basic kitchen equipment

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This hotel has nice rooms with good faclities in them. Having a small kitchenette was a real bonus for us. With a Woolworths food store opposite we could get a few things and have an easy breakfast in the room rather than find a restaurant or take away.
We had a mis-hap on the first night after arriving and the help provided by staff and management was outstanding - far beyond anything we expected. They were really determined to ensure we had a good stay.
We had been warned by several people that nearby Kings Cross area gets rowdy and is noisy in the early hours and that drunks spill over into Macleay Steet. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. This hotel is far enough away to be peaceful at all times. (In fact signs indicate Police are cracking down on excess noise in this area).
Go for a MyMulti1 seven day pass to get unlimited use of busses, trains and ferrys for a week. You will get your money back in a couple of days. The 311 bus (with stops just a few yards from the hotel) goes right to Circular Quay. Or you can walk there through the Botanical Gardens if feeling fit (200+ steps on route). Otherwise we found the location a little way out from the tourist areas so public transport was essential. (NB: The MyMulti pass does NOT cover the Airport Link train so we were caught out when we used public transport to go back to the airport. We had to pay more for the train tickets than the shuttle bus would have been straight from the hotel so you might as well book that from Reception.)
Sea View rooms will have a view of part of the Harbour. Though this is not gurateneed to include the famous landmarks it is very pleasent just the same.
We were very happy with our choice of this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple