“Will certainly book again if I am in Sydney”
Review of Macleay Hotel

Macleay Hotel
Ranked #43 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Will certainly book again if I am in Sydney”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

So I read the reviews here on trip advisor and decided I would give the macleay hotel a try. I have been living in Au for a while and my wife was traveling over from the states to visit me for part of my R&R before a week in Fiji. A few weeks before our trip I called the hotel and spoke to a gentleman from sweeden that was working the desk. I asked him several questions about the hotel and about arranging transportation to the hotel from the airport. After a few minutes I had all the information that I needed. Boy was I surprised during check in when it was the same gentleman helping me get checked in that I had spoken to on the phone and he remembered our conversation. I can not stress how helpful he was and friendly he was. I found all the staff to be very helpful.

If you are wondering how to get to the hotel then I can tell you the 3 options that you have. Taxi= approx $45, train $17 or a group shuttle which I recomend $12. The shuttle can be arranged at the airport and the hotel will arrange your return transfer.

Now on to what everyone wants to know about the hotel.

Location. This hotel was very close to everything we wanted to do. It's about a 10 min walk to kingscross train station, 3 mins to the bus stop and is within walking distance to many other places. The only downside to its location is on a friday or saturday night the traffic coming out of kingscross can be kind of loud.

View. We had a room on the 6th floor and had a nice view from our room.

Room. The room had everything we needed. The bed was fairly comfortable. Room was clean. Kitchen supplies were a nice bonus. The bathroom is a bit dated and the shower is small but it worked for everything we needed.

The hotel offers free wifi in the lobby area which is a very nice bonus in australia as it seems everyone wants to charge for internet.

At the end of our trip we were coming back from Fiji and staying in Sydney for a few more nights and I made the mistake of not booking the Macleay Hotel for our return trip. I will not mention the hotel we stayed at for the return trip but you can look at my other reviews to find out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor overlooking the opera house and harbour bridge.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SOBX_BeachBum_4Life

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Czech first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The great things about the Macleay are the location and the very friendly and helpful reception staff. It is a few minutes walk either to the Kings Cross area for public transport and or in the other direction to Woolloomooloo, the Botanic Gardens and the harbour-front walk.

The hotel is on a quiet, tree-lined street with wide pavements and elegant cafes - there is a sort of Paris feel to the place. There are some up-market restaurants right around the corner and the closer you walk towards Kings Cross the cheaper the restaurants and cafes become.

The rooms are referred to as apartments but they are really too small for that with very basic cooking facilities. Don't expect too much of the 'harbourview' promise - one side has pretty views directly onto Elizabeth and Rushcutter Bays and the other more distant views of the bridge. But you won't be spending much time in the rooms - more so in the cafes around or on the harbour.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Broome, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This hotel is fine for loction BUT we came for a holiday work on the exterior of the building onthe sixth floor started at 7.00am swearing workmen woke us could not rest in the afternoon bloody hammer drillimg The response was apauing from management one notice in the elevator saying noise would not start till 9.00am when work started at 8.00 but they sat outside the window for half an hour before. How trip advisor could possiblily award this place is beyond the pale ensure that you make sure you can rest on your holiday. The triple rooms are very small if you have three suitcases I wish you luck NOT HAPPY

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chrtiistopher R
Korsoer, Denmark
Reviewed 10 June 2013

After being to a konference in Melbourne I went on a week's holiday in Sydney. I stayed at Macleays Hotel in Potts Point, only half an hour's walk through the Botanical Garden to the Opera House. The rooms are very bright, well maintained and very clean. The staff is very service minded and always ready to assist you. I would definitely choose to stay at the Macleay Hotel when ever I visit Sydney again.

Room Tip: Choose a room with view to Elisabeth Bay
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Excellent choice for a moderately priced serviced apartment. Located in Potts Point with amazing views of the harbor and city sky line. We stayed on the 9th floor. Has all the amenities needed with an array of shops, laundromats, markets and countless restaurants/cafes on your door step. The kitchenette is small but suits all your needs for a couple of days. A small list of things to fix: more sturdy ironing board, better tv reception, slightly bigger bar style fridge would be preferable, non slip mat in bathtub and more power points. Other than that would highly recommend and would visit Macleay's again!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room for the views!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Adelaide
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We spent 4 days in this hotel in Sydney's Potts Point and did not have one complaint (except the rain) The staff were exceedingly friendly and helpful and fulfilled all of our requirements. Our room although reasonably small had a fabulous view of Elizabeth Bay which made the space seem bigger. The room and ensuite were very clean, adequately furnished and quite new. The hotels location meant that we walking everywhere - to the art gallery, the multitude of restaurants in Macleay Street and Elizabeth Bay and Rushcutters Bay. Great stay a definite for next Sydney visit.

Room Tip: should ensure a view over Elizabeth Bay
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We loved this hotel as it accomodate our needs.We are on the 7th floor which overlook both the harbour n Opera House.It was amazing!

Hotel staffs were helpful,friendly n patient with all our enquiries.Though there was reno going on,it did not dampen our spirits.Security was good as only guest with keys are allowed to use the lifts.But we were unable to use free wifi in our rooms,as it's only avail at the lobby.Halal food is not a prob though,we found 3 halal outlets which sell kebabs n indian cuisine,within a walking dist.

Overall,we enjoyed ourselves tremendously :) Yann & Zull