“Great Location”

Ranked #48 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Adelaide, Australia
“Great Location”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

My husband and I spent 6 nights in the Medina Grand Hotel in Kent Street Sydney in a standard studio apartment. We had planned the holiday for 6 months as we bought very cheap Virgin air fares when they were on sale and because we looked at the same time found a good deal on the price of the accomodation. Even if you look on the internet it can sometimes pay to ring the hotel and ask what their best prices are as they will sometimes better the internet price. Anyway we accepted their deal but had to book and pay for the hotel then and there. There were no refunds or changes allowed but we are talking a difference of hundreds of dollars so if you are game (and if you take out travel insurance) you can get yourself a good deal too. We had stayed at a Medina in Melbourne last year so were familiar with the size of their rooms and their amenities. As I have a bad back I look for hotels that have a heated pool so I can exercise every morning. This hotel had the pool and it was ok except that although covered overhead one side of the pool area is exposed to the outside air making it freezing when getting out of the pool. The area and pool were always clean and well maintained and there were plenty of towels. There is also a gym for guests use.
Our room was on the 26th floor and faced a wall but we had a small balcony that we could see a bit of Darling Harbour on one side and some of the lights of Sydney on the other. There was a lot of traffic noise when the door to the balcony was open but having fresh air was great. When the door was shut there was no noise.
The room was not huge but big enough for 2 and had a toaster, microwave, sink, small fridge, crockery, cutlery and some food preparation dishes and utensils. It had everything most rooms normally have, tv, clock radio etc plus a table and 2 chairs and plenty of wardrobe space, a safe and an ironing board and iron. The room was clean and serviced daily as was the bathroom. The shower (over the bath) was great with good water pressure. What they didn't have that the Medina in Melbourne had was a small communal laundry for guests to use. In Melbourne there was one for the studio guests to use as the other rooms had washing facilities in them. It was only the size of wardrobe but had a washer, dryer and sink in it. I missed having this and it meant I had to take more clothes with us. This hotel does have a laundry service but like all hotels it was expensive.
The only things that I would suggest to improve this hotel is for the bed to be a little firmer and higher. It was very low, I hit my arm several times on the bedside table while sleeping as the bed was level with the bedside table. With the bed so soft and with soft sides it wasn't very stable to sit on the edge and as it was so low not always easy to get in and out of (for someone with a bad back). The other thing that would be good would be to have a comfortable chair to sit in. I have yet to find any hotel with a comfy chair in your room where you can sit in a read a book and lets face it we can't be out sight seeing and shopping every minute of the day.
The location of the hotel was great. Next time we will get the train into the city (you get off at Town Hall station) from the airport because it is literally a five minute walk to the hotel through the Town Hall Square shopping centre and is all under cover. When you walk out of the shopping centre the hotel is just across the road. In this shopping centre there is a Woolies supermarket, a Subway, as well as a variety of food shops, a chemist and newsagent as well as lots of other shops.This shopping centre leads to The Queen Victoria Building, The Galleries shopping centre, even the Westfield shopping centre and the mono rail. If you are like my husband there are 2 Starbucks within 5 minutes of the hotel as well as Krispy Kreme donuts, McDonalds, Hungary Jacks and hundres of eateries giving you a ton of choice. We found the Albion Hotel value for money with a lovely rump steak dinner for $9.90 with a drink purchase and if you don't mind a bit of noise the Edinburgh Castle Hotel do a good schnitzel even at 9pm at night.
Paddy's market and Market City are only 10 minutes walk away, Darling Harbour is about the same and Circular Quay is about 20minutes walk away.
We bought ourselves a weekly 'Multi 1' ticket for $41 each and this took us every where we wanted to go. Circular Quay and the Rocks (the markets are huge on Saturday and Sunday) is only 2 stops away on the train and to go to the Paddington markets on a Saturday take the train to Museum (4 stops away) and catch a bus just outside the station and go down Oxford Street. Catch the ferry to Manly for breakfast on a Sunday and visit the Manly markets (many of the same stalls from the Paddington markets) or take the ferry to Watson's Bay and have fish and chips sitting under a Morton Bay Fig tree. We took a ride on the ferry up to Parramatta and back just for the ride. All this for the price of our tickets, that is better value than the $20 one day ticket and a lot cheaper than going on a cruise around the harbour.
Sydney is a great place for a holiday and my husband can highly recommed the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb.
The Medina is certainly a place we would go back to especially if we can get a great deal like we had this time. If we had to pay full price I am not sure I would.

Room Tip: I think if you were too low it may be noisy. I think the bigger rooms may have better views.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheGlassHouse
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear TheGlassHouse,

Thank you for posting the comments regarding your recent stay at the Medina Grand Sydney.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback, so detailed feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our team to be helpful, friendly and that we did go out of our way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I also thank you for your comments on our rooms and location and that you have found Medina Grand Sydney to be comfortable, well positioned and maintained.
We will be very happy to welcome you at the hotel again and will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be as enjoyable as the one that you have described above.
I wanted to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Medina Grand Sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I recently spent 2 nights in a Studio room. The room was clean and tidy and a good size. There was a small kitchenette with fridge, sink, microwave and kettle with tea and coffee. The bathroom included a bath tub and combined shower. The hotel facilities were quite good with a gym, sauna and covered pool area. The location of the hotel was good being not too far from Darling Harbour and the QVB. It was also close to a heap of restaurants, pubs, clubs and Chinatown. The only downside was that there was no room service after 9:30pm but this wasn't a big issue. The staff were friendly and efficient. Subject to price I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Daren L
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Dear Dagechop ,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay at the Medina Grand Sydney.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our team to be helpful, friendly and that stay was comfortable. I also thank you for your comments on restaurant's room service trading hours. We will most certainly take it on board and will try to improve as quickly as possible.

Auckland
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was one of the better priced and located hotels that we could find in Sydney. We were very happy with our stay there were 4 of us in the apartment which was spacious quiet and clean.

Reception staff were great and Andy you were very helpful. Thank you.

If there are room for improvements is that we were not replenished dailey for shampoos and soaps and tea and coffee. We had to ask.

I also do not like Credit card surcharges as a surprise. I was advised that this is normal for Sydney but I am a regular visitor and have not had this before. If we had paid on line there was no surcharge so a tip for others out there. It is not the cost of the surcharge but the principal as a traveller you do not carry cash for accomodation expenses!! This does not stop me from staying there again as we really enjoyed the stay.

Overall the hotel is close to Darling Harbour, shopping and the train.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bryan-Lisa
Dear Bryan-Lisa,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our hotel to be comfortable, well positioned and maintained and that you have enjoyed your stay.

Charlestown, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I stayed here recently for a short (3 day) business trip and found the hotel to be everything I expected and needed, maybe even more.

The room was clean and generously sized, with a large bathroom that had a full-sized bath and shower over bath, the most amazing thing about the shower over bath was that you could take a proper shower and manage to keep the bathroom floor dry! I travel quite a bit with work, and normally find that shower over bath set-ups end up leavign water all over the bathroom floor, so this was a welcome change, and a great functional design.

Back into the main room and there is a small kitchenette in the corner, a table and chairs, as well as a small workdesk - everything I needed during my stay. There is also a large wardrobe with mirrored sliding doors - no hunting around for tiny hotel mirrors, these mirror doors are great!

The TV sit on the side of the workdesk, and is easilly viewed form bed, or from the table and chairs, it's a reasonable sized flat screen as you'd expect and has all of the free to air channels including HD. The only downside was the pay TV channels, I'd been told by my booking agent (admittedly not the hotel) that there was a number of pay TV channels, I assumed the standar package with Lifestyle, Discovery, Sports and a Music channel, but instead I found the only pay TV channels were all sports channels with the exception of Arena. A little disappointing but didn't really make a big difference, and like I said, it was the booking agent who failed to properly manage my expectations here, not the hotel.

Finally, I must mention the staff. They were exactly the way I like them, friendly and professional without being pretentious. Everythign was smooth and trouble free with everyone I spoke to, and I was treated like a person rather than a number or an unapproachable exec. I really appreciate that sort of service and rarely find it - If people from the Medina are reading this, keep doing whatever you're doing to find, train and keep your great staff - they turned a good place to stay into a great place to visit.

I'll certainly recommend this property and no doubt will return next time I have business in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FiverACT
APILARSKI, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Dear FiverACT,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your comments and I will share them with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Grand Sydney in the future.

Kind Regards,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2011

A choice made after reading Trip Advisor's reviews.

Clean, friendly and efficient staff, no problem checking in and out. Great location for walking to Chinatown and Darling Harbour. Good access to the underground train and Woolworths if you need some food (breakfast, snacks) too.

The view from our small but adequate room was a sliver of Darling Harbour. Not sure what the view from other rooms would be. There was a balcony but from memory there was not even room on it for chair.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
APILARSKI, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear Robeik,

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and service received from our staff.
We hope to welcome you back to Medina Grand Sydney in the future.

Kind Regards,
England
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Having read reviews about this hotel we took the plunge and booked a 5 night stay as part of our trip to Australia. The staff from the outset were excellent - friendly and very helpful. The accommodation was superb. We were on a higher floor and had really good views of Darling Harbour. While not cheap it was good value for money considering the prices in Sydney. It has a really good location close to all the main attractions. We would certainly use this hotel again when we are in Sydney.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ian J
APILARSKI, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear iejrugbyleague,

Thank you for writing such a positive review on TripAdvisor which I will share with our team, we appreciate it!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Grand Sydney sometime in the future.

Kind regards,
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We originally booked a 1br and a studio, but due to all of the flight cancellations around that time due to the volcano plume disruptions, they upgraded us to a 2br deluxe studio. Much better!

The room was fantastic. Heaps of space, great amenities. Staff were pleasant. Nice views of Town Hall and Centrepoint Tower.

Location is ideal. A few steps from Town Hall Station, and a quick walk to Darling Harbour or to Pitt St Mall.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Frade
APILARSKI, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 17 July 2011
Dear Frade,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate your feedback and comments. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the space - this is definitely an advantage with our 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom apartments. Thank you also for your comments in regards to the service I will make sure this is passed onto our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Sydney.

Regards,