“Worst checkin experience!”

Ranked #48 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Dapto
“Worst checkin experience!”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I recently booked a 1 bedroom premier room at the medina grand, this was to go out for a friends birthday in the city, we had plans to go shopping during the day and had fresh prawns in an esky and food to cook while we got ready, to our horror when we arrived they could not found our details listed, we provided a booking number and were told that they never received our details and the room was no longer available!!! They tried to offer us a studio (much smaller with no kitchen) this was unacceptable, they tried to offer free parking and breakfast for the mess up, however this did not help as we paid more for a 1 bedroom apartment and had food with us to prepare.

Although the manager on duty was very helpful, this level of service is not acceptable, it ruined our plans for the day, we sat around for abour 2 hours trying to figure out where to go from there as we could not stay in a studi, it did not suit our needs, we finally decided to stay at the medina classic instead, the staff were helpful at the medina grand and helped us book a taxi to the medina classic and paid for the trip, however, the medina classic was nowhere near as nice as the medina grand! so outdated and dirty, down a dingy alley way, (we paid for a premier room at the grand for the views) and when moved to medina classic we were faced down a filthy alley way.

Would not bother again as this totally threw our weekend plans off and ruined a much anticipated stay.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrea C
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Andrea C,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It appears there were some significant problems during your stay which is not the true Medina Grand Sydney experience. I also thank you for allowing me to discuss your stay details.
We will be very happy to welcome you at the hotel again and will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be much more enjoyable.

Medina Grand Sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed for a long weekend in a 2 bedroom apartment. Handy location, easy walk to Darling Harbour; and Town Hall station is across the road. Great size for the 3 of us. Really clean and well appointed. Pool was small, but a great indoor/outdoor facility. Found the cable under the carpet leading to the TV in one of the bedrooms a bit strange - was quite noticable without shoes on. Also, TV point in the second bedroom, but no TV!? We had a good deal via bookings.com, but were surprised when I rang reception on a weekday to request a bit of extra time on checkout and were told we'd be charged $20 per hour.... Don't sleep in!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mwiddows
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear mwiddows,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay at the Medina Grand Sydney.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our hotel to be so comfortable, well positioned and with nice rooms. I also thank you for your comments on our rooms and its features as well as the service. We will most certainly take it on board and will try to improve as quickly as possible.
We will be very happy to welcome you at the hotel again and will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be as comfortable as possible. I wanted to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Melbourne
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed 5 nights in a 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom apartment. It was spacious with plenty of room for us and the 2 kids. We found it very clean and it was serviced daily. An overhead light began to flicker one night and it was fixed soon after we reported it to reception. The kids loved the heated pool while I quite liked the sauna. There was a nice little gym as well. The staff were friendly and greeted us each time we walked past reception. The location was fantastic with just a short walk to Town Hall Station and Darling Harbour. Lots of eating places nearby as well. I would certainly consider staying here again.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear KSMJ,

Thank you for posting the comments regarding your recent stay at the Medina Grand Sydney.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback, so nice feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our hotel to be comfortable, well positioned and maintained and that you have enjoyed your stay.
We will be very happy to welcome you at the hotel again and will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be as enjoyable as the one that you have described above.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed in two bed room suites. Unlike other hotel, they provide king size bed rather than queen bed, so it is more convenient for us to sleep. The room is clean, the front desk ladies are nice and helpful. They provide complete variety of tools in the kitchen so we can prepare our meals at anytime. The location is walking distance to any Sydney best spots, including place for church, museum, food and shopping arcade. This hotel is one of the best part of our great holiday!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear manusiagua,

Thank you so much for your very nice feedback. We are all very happy that your visit to Sydney was such a great experience, also because of our hotel.
I'm also very pleased that you have acknowledged both our team and the facilities in such a nice way. I will personally share your comments with all departments. Feedback like yours makes us very proud.

Biloela, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I would recommend the Medina Grand to anyone looking for accomodation in Sydney Cbd. Upon arrival we were told we had been upgraded to a top floor apartment. Fantastic views. The reception staff were very friendly & helpful & put you at ease straight away. The room was spacious, clean & very functional. I was traveling with three teenage girls & there was plenty of room for them all to do hair & makeup at the same time. We have stayed at a lot of hotels in the CBD & Medina Grand has so far been the best value for money, location & for staff making you feel right at home.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Tanya M,

I'm also very pleased that you have acknowledged both our team and the facilities in such a nice way. I will personally share your comments with all departments. Feedback like yours makes us feel very proud.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I have always wondered what it would be like staying in a hotel room that overlooked a solid brick wall. Well, I have now had that opportunity and it is a pretty disappointing experience. However, this hotel- that is not cheap by any measure- was quite the disappointment. The amount I was paying gave me a single, studio room. The smallest room on the floor (I know because of the fire escape maps!). While I was on a corporate rate, I know the other rooms were being offered at a lower rate. Yet, I had a studio room, facing a brick wall. Oh, and the shower head was crap. The room itself was comfortable and reasonable well appointed for a hotel room. I did find out that "please do not service the room" does not stop people from going into the room for other purposes, such as checking the mini-bar.

The pool, while advertising as heated, is heated to "take the chill off". Some places seem to advertise that the those has a spa- it doesn't. Just a pool, sauna and gym.

The staff were okay, with most of them being very friendly and cheerful, which is always nice after a long day at work. However, for the cost of these room, especially what is provided for that money, I will be spending it somewhere else.

Room Tip: 1) ALWAYS check your room isn't overlooking a brick wall of the builind next door. 2) The studio...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank MaxwellSmart86
, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear MaxwellSmart86

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Medina Grand Sydney.

I was delighted to read that you found the team very friendly and cheerful and that the room comfortable and well appointed. However I was disapointed to read that you did not enjoy the positioing of the room within the building. We do offer Premier Studio rooms which guarantees you a city view however you room you booked was a standard studio which unfortunately did not have any views. You are also correct that hotel does not have a spa but I am interested as to where you saw this advertised so we can have it corrected?

Once again I want to thank you for your review. Your feedback is of highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards
Jessica Bergman
Relief Hotel Manager
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Medina Grand for a few days last month and had an amazing time!
We arrived approx 5pm on the Friday afternoon and were warmly greeted by the staff working at the reception. After handing us our keys/cards and explaining how to get to our studio we were told what facilities were available and were suggested restaurants in the area.
A few minutes walk from Darling Harbour, just up the road from Chinatown, everything seemed to be at our doorstep - we even had amazing views of the city from the room - now THAT was a treat.
We had a fantastic weekend and would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in the city! Medina Grand crew - thank you for making our weekend one of the best and most romantic weekends we've ever experienced.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Alex F

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback! We are delighted that you and your boyfriend had such a lovely weekend and that the hotel and team helped to make it so amazing.

I will personally share your comments with the team. Feedback like yours makes us very happy and proud as we too think this is a great hotel.

We would be very happy to welcome you at the hotel again and will endeavour to ensure that your stay just as enjoyable as the one you have described above.

Once again I would like to thank you for your review as your feedback is of the highest value to us. If you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail then please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards