“Lovely Hotel... shame about the maid leaving my door open all day!!”
Review of Mercure Sydney

Mercure Sydney
Ranked #64 of 182 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Me and my Girlfriend stayed at the Mecure Sydney for 4 nights just recently in one of the Privilege Rooms. Room was very spacious, I had requested a King bed when booked but only ended up with a double which was no real problem. I found it strange that for a room booked for 2 guests there was only 1 pair of slippers and 1 bath robe.

Room Service was fine, we had breakfast in bed on the last day and it was fine.

Our only real concern was when we returned one day, at around 7pm to find our room door was open. The maid hadn’t pulled the door shut when she vacated the room. Luckily nothing was taken from the room, baring in mind our passports, jewelry and clothes were all inside. I immediately went downstairs to voice my concern and I spoke with a manager by the name of Jeremy (I think that’s what he was called). I was a little surprised by the fact that there was no form of compensation or goodwill gesture made (perhaps a bottle of wine, dinner etc). All he did was apologise. II am not one to complain or try and get some ‘freebies’ but I was just slightly concerned with the room being left open and then surprised by the management response.

All in all a pleasant stay though.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dreamweaver2611
Thomas_Brand, Director of Sales and Marketing at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2010

Dear visitor from Manchester,
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. We are terrified to hear that the maid must have left your door open. With no doubt Jeremy will have this addressed with our Executive Housekeeper. Rest assured that things like this generally don’t happen at our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies that this has happened. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back on your next visit to Australia. With warm regards, Thomas Brand

Write a ReviewReviews (5,039)

Reviewed 5 April 2010

Stayed here for four nights mainly based on price (Sydney hotels aren't cheap). Location is right next to Central Station (although it's a good 5-10 min walk to get to the platforms) which takes you pretty much anywhere in Sydney. Surrounding area is not overly nice - full of takeaways and 'adult' stores - not somewhere you'd want to spend any amount of time. Is also very 'oriental' with 95% of the people I bumped into Chinese/Japanese.

Booked a standard double room and my goodness was it standard (see pic for view). I guess it's adequate but nowhere near what I expect for the rate or from Mercure. TV quality was very poor (couldn't be bothered to mention it). Reception staff was miserable and unwilling to help (although checkout was better). Concierge was excellent.

Breakfast was pretty ok for the a hotel breakfast but as others have mentioned it can get very busy.

Internet access was awful. It's expensive and very slow - not much use to anyone wanting to do anything more than surf a few web pages. Complained and was given the brush-off. Did get 50% my Internet bill on check-out but still begrudged paying that.

Overall, below average - would not recommend.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank simonp820

Dear guest from the UK,
Thank you very much for your review. Some of our Standard Rooms do not have a view (like the one you booked), some standard rooms have the view of modern office buildings. But for a little extra you can have a City View Room with a lovely view over the city of Sydney. Our city is a great mix of international visitors and residents of all countries and we are very proud of this. My apologies that the internet service has been not to your expectations. We are currently in the process of increasing our bandwidth to ensure large downloads throughout the hotel. Thank you again for your review. With kind regards, Thomas

Reviewed 21 March 2010

Reviews for this hotel has certainly been mixed, either this hotel gets an excellent rating or, there would be a very recent review which basicallly massacred the hotel for its service. I have been travelling very frequently, and I hope my review would be decent enough:-

Location: The Mercure is located just off George Street - one of Sydney's most notable city streets. Renowned for being busy round-the-clock with many corporate/business high rises, this street begins in the north end of Sydney in The Rocks, near the Sydney Harbour Bridge and extends to the southern end of the city, near Central Station. Well, this hotel is located next to the Railway Station and is nearer to Chinatown or Sydney Airport compared to the other hotels in Sydney's Central Business District. Unfortunately, George Street is at least 3km long (I think) and the Mercure is located in the opposite end of the CBD.

Hotel: This hotel is not anywhere near to a 4 star rating. Barely 3 star in fact. The room is decently sized but the interior feels a little bit dated, bare (no slippers or complimentary bottles of water), it does not give you the luxurious, desirable, comfortable sort of feeling, the feeling that after a long, tired day, you would like to retire in the comfort of the room. The interior of the bathroom is pretty undesirable - floor has yellow and white tiles?!! And, apart from the very basic toilet/tissue paper, shampoo, soap, towels and hair dryer (yes, I'm not kidding you), there is nothing else!!! But most importantly, the mattress/bed sheets were clean enough.

Service: The concierge was helpful enough to recommend a decent Italian restaurannearby. Reception was ok. No issues about the service - I guess I haven't experienced anything complicated during my stay. My only complaint is having to pay for internet connection (AUD5 for 1/2 hour - in this day and age, does anyone still charge for internet at such prices?!!!). Certainly this isn't a business hotel - more for tourists and cabin crew)

Breakfast: Selection was average. It gets a bit crowded betweeb 8-9am, and you may have to queue for a while. There's a coffee machine for your lattes but the coffee prepared was not hot. I guess the management needs to look at it. Or for hot coffee to be constantly served to the guests. This is the 1st time I need to make my own coffee during breakfast at a 3/4 star hotel.

I would only recommend this hotel if some improvements are to be made to the hotel by the management. But I am certainly impressed with the response from Thomas Brand, Director of Sales and Marketing, who certainly took the effort to reply to every review in Trip Advisor (putting most other hotels to shame, in fact). Some of the reviews are certainly "near impossible" to reply.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank rafalution_2009

Dear visitor from Malaysia,
Thank you very much for your review and comments. All comments on Tripadvisor are forwarded to the management team and we take every comment very seriously. May I comment that we are a AAA certified 4 star hotel but often Australian hotels do not compare to Asian hotels, where even 4 star hotels can be luxurious. It is not common in Australia to find in a 4 star hotels things like water and slippers unlike in many Asian hotels. Just a little note on our breakfast. There is a professional espresso machine our guests love to have as many proper coffees as they would like to. But on request we also serve lattes, cappuccinos or any coffee you wish to have. Thank you again for your time to review our hotel and we hope to see you again soon. With kind regards, Thomas Brand

Reviewed 21 March 2010

We stayed in Hotel Mercure Sydney for 3 nights. Liked our stay very much. It's located close to the Central Station and lots of restaurants / KFC / Mac etc around. Staff were polite and helpful (most of them) especially John from the Conceirge. Rooms were quite clean. Overall enjoyed our stay and would recommend this to any tourist.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family

Dear guest from Singapore,
Thank you very much for for your comments. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time and that you enjoyed our hospitality. Please visit us again when you are back in Sydney. With warm regards, Thomas Brand

Reviewed 19 March 2010

I stayed here on business trip recently as i was booked by the travel agent at their recommendation. I had no clue about this hotel but foolishly trusted the travel agent. All i can say now is never again! While the hotel is not all bad - in fact it looks rather newish and rooms looks like they have been refurbished although tiny in size - what left a bad mark was the SERVICE - terrible - perhaps i was travelling on a hotel voucher maybe they felt they could be rude to me from reception to concierge to operator to restaurant - i found the hotel to cater more to tourist class and tour groups and air crew - you had to queue to check in and queue again for breakfast every morning - restaurant is packed and staff couldn't care less - no coffee mugs and no coffee one morning! and no food replenished it was like a fish market! The concierge is downright rude and so is the front desk staff- no courtesy no smile just plain rude and nasty. When i calld for bathroom amenities one night as they forgotten to place it in my room /replace - my call to housekeeping was directed to reception - the satff said it should be there and i said no, then she said will send it up - guess what - they never did, When i checked out at 1pm i was told to pay AUD20 for late check out - very firm and no flexibility at all. this is really one of those hotels really for tourist and tour groups - i will never stay here on business ever again - for what i paid i could add a bit more and go to the Hilton or another respectable hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank davidcmk

Dear guest from Singapore,
Thank you very much for your review. I find it hard to respond to your review as it simply does not reflect our hotel. With being a 517 room hotel, admittedly there can go something wrong, but we pride ourselves with typical Australian courtesy, friendliness, we are polite and have a lot of time for our guests. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. With warm regards, Thomas Brand

Reviewed 19 March 2010

Stayed in this Hotel for for 5 days while on holiday in Australia. Excellent room on the 7th floor, we booked a city view room and thats what we got. Room was very comfortable and more than big enough for 2 people. Staff very friendly, and helpfull when needed.

Room had tea and coffee making facilties which were replenished each day, am in room safety deposit box (which was free to use), and a large flat screen TV. The rooms also come with a fridge, but don't be shocked to find it empty! The 'mini bar' is now a vending machine in the hallway, where you buy what u want by swiping your room card, you can then use the fridge to keep the bits in, or just do what we did and buy it outside the hotel! Much cheaper!

The bathroom was also nice and spacious, and to a high standard of decor.

I must also add that the bed in the room was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in!!

Location wise, this Hotel is very good. It is down the south end of George Street, but being right next to Central Station and the Bus Terminal (Railway Square) it is very accessable. Hotel to Circular Quay by foot, straight down George Street will take you about 20 minutes. So not too bad! Also just 5 minutes walk to China Town/Paddys Market and another 5 minutes from there to Darling Harbour, so all in all its very nicely placed.

Didn't use it msyelf but the Hotel also has swimming pool and gym on the top (14th) floor. Looked nice especially if you go for a swim in the evening when the floor to ceiling windows overlook the twinkling lights of Sydney!! I believe the pool is open until midnight.

Thouroughly enjoyed my stay in this hotel and would definetly recommend and even stay there again myself.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear guest from the UK, Greetings from sunny Sydney and thank you very much for your thorough review. We appreciate your comments, which reflect our hotel very well. Thank you again and we hope tosee you on your next trip to Australia. With kind regards, Thomas Brand

Reviewed 17 March 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights & my experience was pretty decent.

Only thing that irritated me was its spring bed which was very uncomfortable for back.

Will generally like to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for you review. We replaced all our beds approximately 1 year ago and they should be all in very good condition. My apologies if you did not have a comfortable sleep. We look forward tosee you on your next trip to Sydney. With kind regards, Thomas Brand