“Super Staff make all the difference!”
Review of Mercure Sydney

Mercure Sydney
Ranked #63 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Mercure. We booked via wotif.com and got an unbelievably great rate. We were expecting a basic room for what we paid but WOW, on arrival we got a free upgrade to a city view room with balcony!!!!!

The first thing that strikes you as you enter the hotel is the staff. Every single member of staff that you come across in this hotel is just excellent. Immaculately groomed, bright, polite,courteous and foccused on helping the guests. The concierge guys are famous here on Tripadvsior and I would say that all of the staff team in this hotel are worthy of that recognition.

Our room was a good size with a very comfy double bed, desk and chair. Nice big TV with digital channels, Foxtel and a good range of pay-for-view latest release movies. We had ample storage cabinets, a safety box, little fridge, tea and coffee making provisions.

The room furnishings and decor are modern, in excellent condition and the entire room and ensuite are a credit to the housekeeping staff in terms of cleanliness. Sleep quality for us was excellent. Even though the hotel is located on a busy city interesction the street noise is not an issue in the rooms.

PAYG WiFi is available in the lobby and resturant bar area. PAYG internet in the rooms is via an RJ45 plug in connector. A MacD less than 10 minutes walk away at the Entertainment Centre has free WiFi.

Eating wise there is a great array of fast food outlets and vibrant, colourful Chinese and other Asian resturants in the immediate and near vicinity. If that is not your style then you are in luck because the in hotel resturant is really good. The menu includes some very stylish and imaginative dishes including:- seafood, meats and vegetarian options. The service and food presentation are both excellent and the prices are very reasonable. Although we did not breakfast in the hotel ourselves; other guests that we spoke with rated the breakfast very highly.

The hotel also has a great room service; the range, style and quality of food matching that available in the resturant. The service is available 24 hours a day and a very small charge applies for the courteous and prompt delivery. BE WARNED though, this room service is addictive!!!

My wife really enjoyed the swimming pool on the rooftop while I sat on the balcony sipping wine (terrific bottle shop on Ultimo Road, 5 mins walk) and looking out across the city view.

We are planning our next visit to Sydney later in the year and we will be staying at the hotel again.

Full marks to Mercure Sydney from us and Thomas, I envy you for being able to work in such an environment.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thomas_Brand, Director of Sales at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2010

Dear Violin from Melbourne,
Thank you so much for you review on Tripadvisor. You definitely made my day! I have just send a copy of your review to every staff member of the hotel as an encouragement to continue delivering great service. We are a large hotel and sometimes things can get wrong but everyone at the hotel will be thrilled that you recognized their hard work. On behalf of every staff member at Mercure Sydney “Thank You” for you comment and we look forward to your next visit. With kind regards, Thomas Brand PS: (Yes, I do love working here :))

Reviewed 1 June 2010

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights and found it to be clean, comfortable with friendly staff. We stayed on the 13th level in the Privilege Room, and had some view of the city. Unfortunately there is a smaller building in front of us that had this horrible un-used sign on top of it's roof. Obviously it use to be used before the Mercure was built. I felt sorry for the people on the floors below us as they wouldn't of had a very nice view. The room was clean with a King Bed. The bathroom was a little out dated with shower over bath, but it was clean. It was a good room for what my partner needed as he was there for a conference.

The hotel location is good if you are wanting public transport, or to be in the middle of Chinatown, otherwise I wouldn't reccommend it for location. Unfortunately Chinatown has quite a few homeless people.

There wasn't much variety of restuarants except Asian, which had nice food, but more variety restaurants would be good. There is a McDonalds, KFC, Subway and Gloria Jeans across the road, but the employee's are not very good at speaking english.
The food in the hotel was excellent. As we couldn't find much on the streets, we decided to eat at the hotel in the Four Elements Restaurant. The food and service was wonderful. We had the Tapa's type menu and it was delicious.

We hired a car from the hotel, which was easy and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

If you are wanting to go to Sydney to see the sites, I would stay closer to the city, but this hotel is good for business.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Thomas_Brand, Director of Sales at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2010

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Please allow me to keep you informed that we have different room categories and our Standard Rooms do not have a City View. They face either an older building with a bill board on top that is only used on the other side but there are also Standard Rooms, which face modern office buildings. Our City View Rooms have a very cosmopolitan look across the city. If you walk right out of the hotel there are literally hundreds of inexpensive restaurants. Only a short walk across to Surry Hills you will find plenty of Australian, Italian and French restaurants. There are also many pubs and bars. Thank you again for your feedback and please visit us again on your next trip to Sydney. With kind regards, Thomas Brand

Reviewed 25 May 2010

We stayed a total of 6 nights at the hotel, and must say we thoroughly enjoyed the convenience of having just about everything right at our doorstep...Chinatown, paddy market, Central railway station, and buses etc all within walking distance.Our standard rooms were clean, comfortable and had a quiet facing. Concierge service was impecable. Both Alex and James really went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Will definitely be back and recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Sydney for the first time. Cheers. Singapore traveller

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Thomas_Brand, Director of Sales at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2010

Dear guest from Singapore,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will pass on your message to James and Alex. As our concierge team has been recognized within the last 2 Tripadvisor reviews I will nominate our concierge team for “Team of the Month”. Thank you again. Kind regards, Thomas Brand

Reviewed 21 May 2010

From the moment we stepped into the Mercure Sydney, we felt their hospitality. Alex and Adam at the concierge desk were extremely helpful. After a long flight we arrived early in the morning, but wanted to get out and see Sydney. Not only did they offer to hold our bags but we were offered the use of the hospitality room to shower and change. The helped with booking a variety of outings and gave helpful pointers on getting around in Sydney.

I had upgraded our room to a city view. I'm glad I did. It was spacious, clean and comfortable. You can request specialized pillows - nice touch. The bathroom was very large and clean - we always had lots of hot water.

We did not eat at the Mercure. We did eat at the Wake up Cafe, down the street, every morning. They had great coffee and breakfast was fantastic (eggs benedict - recommended).

I felt that this was a good central location - city buses were easily accessible - there is a free shuttle 555 green bus - that runs in a loop close by the hotel - we didn't have much luck catching it (either too full and wouldn't take anymore passengers or just didn't want to wait 1/2 an hour for it to come by - runs up/down George Street and Elizabeth Street.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Thomas_Brand, Director of Sales at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. If you come to Sydney next time you could also jump on the bus right across the road. It is only AU$1.60 and it takes you all the way to Circular Quay. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you on your next trip to Sydney. Warm regards, Thomas Brand

Reviewed 10 May 2010

We stayed here to go to a graduation at the University of Sydney and this hotel was close by. We caught the train from the airport to Central Station and it was a very easy walk to the hotel from there. Each member of the staff that we came across was extremely helpful and friendly. There were 2 small corner stores very close to the hotel and a McDonalds, KFC and a Subway also very close by which were very handy when needing a quick bite to eat, especially since we were travelling with our son. The hotel was only a short taxi ride to the University and was also a very central location to walk to Darling Harbour (about 20 mins), Chinatown and Paddys Markets. Being so close to the train station, it was also very easy to get to Circular Quay (to go to Taronga Park Zoo) and to other locations. Even though it was close to the train station, there was no noise at all, either from the trains, traffic or anything else. We had a King Bed Deluxe room whch was very roomy and the bed was extremely comfortable. We also saw one of the standard rooms and, although it wasn't as roomy, it would have still have been quite adequate. We had booked on a half price sale, so for us it was excellent value. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Thomas_Brand, Director of Sales at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2010

Dear Traveler,
Thank you very much for your review. We are glad to hear that you had a good time at Mercure Sydney whilst you and your son visited Sydney. Please visit us again on your next trip to Sydney. With kind regards, Thomas Brand

Reviewed 8 May 2010

Centrally located on George Street within easy walking distance of shops,attractions,bars and restaurants. Friendly welcome on arrival,allocated a spacious and comfortable room, spotlessly clean on 12th floor with great views. First night, ate casually in bar in lobby where staff were most helpful. Breakfast was buffet style with good selection of hot dishes suiting most cultural tastes.Ate dinner in main restaurant on 2 nights, food well prepared and tasty with a good selection of Australian wines.Overall, a most comfortable stay with no complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Thomas_Brand, Director of Sales at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. We are glad to hear that you had the chance to dine in Eve’s Place and in Four Elements Restaurant & Bar. We just wanted to let you know that we have made improvements to our restaurant and completely renovated it in January 2010. We look forward to se you on your next trip to Sydney. With kind regards, Thomas Brand

Reviewed 3 May 2010

Booked Mercure Sydney George Street on Hotel club 1st night booked (included breakfast) 2nd night through hotel (did not inlcude breakfast) and asked them to link my bookings and breakfast was included. When I arrived no links were made and agin asked staff to stay in the same room.

After dinner on the 1st night at about 11pm I asked if I could swap my paid breakfast for the next I was advised that no breakfast was listed and had I bring the hotel club voucher once again to reception to confirm breakfast. I could not be bothereered so I did it the next morning. What an inconvenience all this was.

TV did not work on the 1st night it was a new system, staff tried to fix it before left for dinner. When I returned that night after dinner it still did not work. I called recpetion and advised that I would be out all day please fix the TV. Next morning I reminded them to fix the TV.

After a long day working all I wanted to do was have room service and watch TV and an early night as I had early flight next day. The TV was not working I called reception 3 times and it took them an hour 20 minutes for a staff member to come to my room. He reset TV and it did not work. I called reception them again, they offered for me to change rooms! By this time 9.30pm just did not want any one in the room.

This is very poor service.

Dear guest from Queensland,
Thank you very much for reviewing us on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry to hear that you had trouble with the TV. Indeed we have upgraded our television system to a digital system and we experienced some challenges. In total we have now channels up from xx channels previously. It is very clear that we should have been more responsive and arranged a room move straight away. We sincerely apologies that this has not happened. Please do stay with us again on your next trip to Sydney. With kind regards, Thomas Brand