“Fabulous place for a getaway in the city”

Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour
Ranked #102 of 176 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Fabulous place for a getaway in the city”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was our first time at this apartment and we would go back again. WE stayed for 5 nights. Price was reasonable, the apartment was spacious and airy and location was very central. The staff at desk were friendly and helpful.
The apartment was clean.....the only thing would be that the garbage bin could be replaced (it was broken)and a bit of exit mould in the shower would not go astray. The aprtment was serviced each day whilst we were there. We found the bed really comfortable and we loved the loft like bedroom. Having young children would be awkward but for a couple it was great.
We didn't find it too noisy from the traffic and we come from the country where it is really quiet. Ear plugs help too.
Easy walk to everywhere in the city.
We really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views obviously.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frizzy63
MIR_00, General Manager at Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you, Frizzy63, for taking the time to review our apartments.
I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay here with us in our spacious, well-appointed apartments.
You will be please to know that we have replaced the bins in all bathrooms, and come July, all bathrooms will be fully renovated.
I'm happy to see that you liked out loft style setup, as it as unique feature of our apartments. And the floor to ceiling windows provide a great view and a light and open atmosphere.
Thank you again for you review and we hope to see you on your next trip to Sydney.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Indonesian first
Perth
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was our second trip to the hotel, the first being 3 years ago. The apartments offer good value for money for a family of four as many hotels won't allow four to one room. Kitchentte and laundry facilities also help families. The rooms are not suitable for young children due to the open aspect of the staircase and mezzanine floor. These apartments have certainly been well used since our last visit and a refurb / deep clean is warranted but I am still happy with the apartment. What has changed though is the traffic noise. The ill fitting doors do little to dampen the constant flow of traffic. We had a dreadful first nights sleep (my parents staying across the road at Metro on King had to move out because the windows were vibrating) despite being on the top floor but I must say you get used to it and by night 3 I was sleeping like a baby. The location of the apartments is terrific with a short walk to the CBD shops, Darling Harbour restaurants and harbour ferries. The views are as good as any nearby swish hotel. I still like this place. It does need updating/cleaning but unless you are fastidious you can deal with it.

Room Tip: Access to reception is via steep steps and thus able bodies are essential.
Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank olthomas44
MIR_00, General Manager at Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you, Olthomas44, for taking the time to review our apartments.
I'm glad that you enjoyed your return stay here. Our spacious, well-equipped apartments are in an excellent location, minutes walk from all major attractions and shopping.
Our loft style apartments offer a full kitchen and laundry facilities. This makes it an ideal place for families as they have all the conveniences of home.
Since your stay 3 years ago, all kitchens have been completely renovated and all bathrooms will be fully refurbed by the end of July. We have also recently updated all of our balconies so guest can enjoy the spectacular view of the harbour.
Thank you again for your review and we hope you come back soon to see the wonderful changes that are being made.
Sydney
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This serviced apartment is located well close to darling harbour with walking distance to shops and entertainment strips. However, the rooms have a very unpleasant scent that hits gag reflexes, the air is thick with a mould and dust atmosphere. The staircase is very dangerous with uneducated gaps in between that give you grazes on your ankles. The blinds are very out dated and patchy. The mattress which folds out from the couch is very uncomfortable and pointless. Why would you pay to sleep on what feels like stones and bricks. I wouldn't recommend using the cutlery or plates just don't ask why. Also the elevator will probably break if someone overweight steps foot in it be warned. There are also a bunch of stairs you need to go up to get to the entrance of the appartments, not suitable at all for people in wheel chairs or elderly people. It is very hard trying to pull your own suitcase or luggage up this set of steep stairs with no help! It smells of feet in the reception area and throughout the hallways and elevator. Overall I think this place needs to be severely renovated for a more comfortable cleaner and more modern outlook.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Twoolay
Gary L, Manager at Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and mentioning that we are in a great location,though I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I do find much of what you have stated as incorrect.
I have inspected all apartments personally and do so on a very regular basis, and can not smell any mould or dust, though if you tell me which room activated you "gag reflexes" I would be able to do a more thorough inspection.
All of our sofa mattress have recently been replaced with 4 inch Sealy mattresses and are ,in fact, quite soft.

All kitchen utensils (cutlery, plates etc) are cleaned upon every checkout.
The lift is fully certified and undergoes regular monthly maintenance.
As stated in all our information to guests on websites and to travel agents and when booking direct, there are 12 steps into the building, though my staff and myself are more than happy to assist with guest luggage.
I do hope that next time you stay with us that it would be of a more pleasant stay

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here for a week in December 2013

Positives - fantastic location, comfortable apartment size for a family of 4, well appointed kitchen, friendly reception, foxtel tv, washing machine and dryer in the bathroom and easy accessibility to public transport
Negatives - the bathrooms need renovation which I understand is already being planned for and a general spruce up to make the apartments look a bit more modern

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Swaminathan2014
MIR_00, General Manager at Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our apartments Swaminathan2014.
I’m glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our well-equipped, one bedroom, Loft style apartments..
Our excellent location and great in-room facilities make us a convenient and friendly place to stay, especially for families.
As you noted, we are in the process of re-doing the bathrooms in all rooms which should be completed in the following months.
Again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

One night stayed and one night too many! The foyer smells off old cigaratte smoke (must be embedded in the old worn carpet and tired paint. The decor is very dated and worn which means its hard to clean... the sofa bed looked like its had a rough life and was stained and very uncomfortable. looks like it has new carpet (plus). TV is good and has foxtel but the foxtel box doesn't sit on the tv cabinet (half on / half off). The bathroon is dated and you must wear thongs (flip flops) under the shower (which is in the bath) as it looks like the recent white silicon is covering the mould...
So I was sitting on the sofa wondering why the hell my work had put me into this hotel and cockroaches started to come out from under the sofa bed. made me wonder what they do when I'm asleep... So that's why I'm writing this review! I can't sleep and its too late to go elsewhere. Please don't get caught like me! go elsewhere to start with!

Room Tip: don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank neveragain1001
Thank you for taking the time to review our apartments.
I am sorry to see you didn’t enjoy your stay.
As our apartments are all non-smoking (except on the balconies) I am unable to see how the foyer smelt like cigarette smoke as the foyer has always been non-smoking.
Our sofa beds are cleaned on a regular basis, as well as our carpets.
You may be pleased to note that we are undergoing refurbishment of all bathrooms which is due to be completed in the following months.
In regards to the cockroaches, while it is policy to have the apartments pest sprayed every 3 months, we in fact get it done on a monthly basis. Unfortunately, due to the large door on the balcony, sometime they can fly in through when the door is open.
Again thank you for taking the time to review and I hope your next stay is a more pleasant one.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Def looks better on the web than in real life. Good location but this place is in need of a major refurb. Everything looks (and smells!) dated. Arrived to find pillows spread all over the bedroom floor (not a pillow cases in sight), black hair in the bath tub, toilet seats up and mouldy grout all over the bathroom.

On the plus side the apartment was relatively spacious and there was a nice partial view of the harbour.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MIR_00, Manager at Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
I’m sorry you didn’t have a good experience staying with us. I have spoken to housekeeping about the pillow and hair situation and I do apologise for this. Both myself and the housekeeper can’t explain how the situation happened, though new procedures are now in place that this will never happen again. I have been up to the room you stayed in and I can’t smell anything. All apartments get painted regularly and the carpet steam cleaned every 3 months. Over the next 3 months all bathrooms are being refurbished, which we are very excited about.
Thanking for mentioning our wonderful location. We are walking distance to many of the great attractions Sydney has to offer – Wildlife World, Sydney Aquarium, King Street Wharf, China Town etc. The apartments are really spacious, which is mostly due to the mezzanine style with the bedroom and bathroom being upstairs and the living downstairs also the two story cathedral windows help. Our Executive apartments which are from level 4 to 7 give fantastic views of Darling Harbour.
I hope the next time you stay with us is more enjoyable and that you can visit soon to see our improvements.
Wellington
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

The apartments are ideally located walking distance from most places of interest and close to the cbd. However the noise of traffic passing by continues both day and night so don't forget your ear plugs. Enjoyed Sydney and would certainly return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MIR_00, General Manager at Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thank you TaffWellington, for reviewing our apartments.

Our great location is one of the best in Sydney. Whilst we are close to all attractions such as the Sydney Aquarium, Wildlife world and the shopping precinct of Pitt Street Mall,this means that some road noise in inevitable, however, this can be diminished by booking an Executive Apartment which are on the top 4 floors.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again.