“A very clean well run services apartment with friendly staff”
Review of Napoleon on Kent

Napoleon on Kent
Ranked #119 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Adelaide, Australia
“A very clean well run services apartment with friendly staff”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We were most impressed with our 2 room apartment where a second bed was set up for our 2 children in the lounge area. When we asked for a couple of blankets they were there on the beds when we returned, we were allowed to move into the room to our amazement at 10am on our check in day and the cost was very reasonable at only $240 per night for the 4 or us, nearby establishments were closer to $350 per night.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Hallett505

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
tasmania
Reviewed 19 July 2011

After reading other reviews was starting to get a little concerned that we had made the right choice for our 10 night stay in the middle of winter in sydney but should not have worried. The apartments were well lit from the street, easy to find not up a great hill,close to the rocks area, circular quay, railway and bus services, overlooking darling harbour and king street wharf area.
The room we had an apartment had good water pressure in the shower, new carpet, new light fittings plenty off all working, 10 coathangers, chest of drawers, safe, luggage rack, iron and board, double mirrored wardrobe, table and 2 chairs, coffee table, LCD tv on a swivel with foxtel, dvd player and a cd player/radio, sliding windows onto balcony with a decent view, blockout curtains, 2 seater couch new, clothes airer, mini fridge, all kitchen facilities with microwave and stove top all cooking app including electric frypan, airconditioner/heatpump, extra pillows/blankets queen bed very comfortable,shower with vanity unit/ toilet and hairdryer and toiletries, a working smoke detector and a laundry basket.
The studio apartment was spacious, natural light coming through even though right underneath the roadway, no noise at all from the roadway the room was nice and cosy, very clean on arrival and cleaned on the 6th day of our stay. No problems checking in or coming in through the main door after hours with access key, staff(4) were all very friendly, lift always working never saw anyone hanging around reception loitering. There was no noise from any other rooms and the place was full due to a conference being in town.
As for the train station wynyard was 100m away weekday entrance about 200m weekends,24 hour store less than one minute walk, restaurants in the rocks a couple of minutes walk,heaps of food courts and places for breakfast less than 100m, a bakery in erksine st only a street over, Observatory hill wonderful views a 5 min walk uphill, 4 pubs within a short walking distance one was incredibly cheap for drinks and food. Darling Harbour a 10 minute walk away all flat surfaces, Circular Quay as well 10 mins in the other direction where you can get all your buses, ferries and trains.
I did purchase 2 extra towels at the start of our stay $4 which was a small price to pay, the cafe up the road had free wi fi and very cheap food and specials. We did cook in the apartment the exhaust fan worked fine and if the smell lingered we just opened the windows if cold turn the heating up.
We payed through a travel agent $125 per night for a 10 night stay in a studio apartment that was serviced once during our stay. Realising this we did pack a selection of teas and coffee sachets and salt and pepper sachets that was it. Everything was available soap, toilet paper, shampoos, dishwashing liquid, etc.
The 2 facilities we did not use were the laundry, we handwashed our clothes and they were dry overnight and the car parking as we did not have a car.
I hope this review changes somebody's mind about staying there as it certainly made my mind up that I had made the best choice of an apartment stay in my price range.

Room Tip: book through a travel agent
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TasmaniaLovesydney
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I have been staying here for 1 1/2 months and I feel comfortable with this apartment. The helpful reception allows me for earlier check-in on my 1st day of arriving. They furnished me with a map and gave me some guidance around the city so that I don't feel miserable.

Cleaning services will be provided every week (provided you are staying longer for 7 days if i not mistaken) and in case the cleaner does not clean your room, you can make a request at the reception and they will arrange it immediately for you. Also, I remember the ceiling lights in my apartment was not function, the reception has arranged for replacement on the day I made the request. I requested it in the morning and it was fixed when I came back in the evening. It's excellent.

Walking distance to Circulay Quay, the Rocks, Sydney Bridge, Opera House, Darling Harbour, QVB, etc - what else we can expect? Isn't it awesome location? You may hop on the free shuttle bus service if you feel lazy to walk around the city. Shopping Malls are surrounded in Pitt Street & George Street, it seems to be the heart of CBD. Train & bus stations are all within walking distance.

There are restaurants around the apartment. Just spent sometimes to explore it, you will find good deals and nice foods around. There are Japanese, Korean, Malaysia, Thailand, etc foods around so that you won't feel homesick during your journey.

Apart from the old model television and the repairs and drilling work around Kent Street during weekend (once in a while during early in the morning which could wake you up), this is a good location to stay. I don't feel it noisy during weekday and weekend (provided no drilling works) as long as the window is closed. Perhaps I have get used to the environment and the bed after staying there for few weeks!

If you polite to the other, the other will be polite to you. I enjoy the morning greeting and chit chatting with Carla everyday when she is on duty. I will miss her when I back to my country as she is really nice and helpful.

I'm not saying this is an excellent apartment to be stayed as different people could have different standard and requirement, if you like to stay in the city, perhaps this could be an option for you. I don't mind staying here again as I feel comfortable here. Carla, hope I can still see you there during my next visit. Again, many thanks for your help and assistance.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Invisible81
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2011

If you want quality of the Hyatt, pay the price! This hotel offers value for money. I booked on a last minute website and believe that I got my moneys worth. Clean rooms, excellent location and a good price. A studio apt came with cooking facilities and although on the main street, the windows were double glazed. If you dont like the noise, dont stay in the city. I would stay again and again, no problem.

Room Tip: Rooms are great on Darling Harbour side
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank diwhy1
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2011

The place is very good for medium term (>2 weeks) Business Stays. The rooms are clean and single bedroom is very spacious. It gets filled up pretty fast so plan your stay in advance and ensure you book well in advance.
A staff by the name Carla Coinbra at the reception very hostile, whenever we approached her with questions, her response would be she has lots work to do and can’t spend time. My understanding of people @ front desk are supposed to treat customer request as the first priority but here it was the other way round and she talks with an irritated tone, does not listen to what you have to say and shows lot of sarcasm. The unavoidable interactions with her were the worst part of our stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank jarvindh
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Considering what the grumpy reviewers have said here, I have to say that I was delighted with my stay at Napoleon on Kent. My studio room was clean, spacious and well supplied (plenty of kitchen equipment, lots of extra blankets and pillows). The television does not have every single channel on cable, but it has sports, some movies and a couple of other channels. Considering you are beneath the road leading on to the Bridge, the noise is surprisingly muffled.

The room, hallways and elevator looked freshly painted and although the place was bug-sprayed while I was there, I couldn't tell apart from the numerous advertising notices giving warning. Yes, if you are walking to George Street, the most direct route is up a hill, but other routes are flatter, so explore and find the best way for you. The hotel is located very close to the station and a short walk from the Rocks.

The staff could not have been more pleasant or attentive (particularly the lady who was there on Sunday). Yes, the hours of the desk are somewhat limited, but information is available and guests are informed of this when they check in. Furthermore, info in the rooms gives details about nearby places to shop and to go, with food readily available.

The only one negative I would mention relates to business travellers. The business centre is not available to guests, but rather is there to be hired out to companies as required. Many of the staff, though, can recommend nearby internet cafes, but perhaps consider bringing a laptop if you can't live without your connection.

Otherwise I would not hesitate to recommend Napoleon on Kent for people who want serviced apartments (rooms are cleaned every four days).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank KatherineB2011
Darwin
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We arrived after hours and had no problems gaining entry. Staff were pleasant, courteous and effficient, although we had to take up our own luggage, as it was after hours, but this is to be expected. We stayed in a studio apartment and it was excellent. Whilst the location of the hotel itself is a bit hard to find, it is a good location, within easy walking distance to the train station and has lots of great eateries within walking distance, and there is a great selection of take away food services that will deliver to your door. Unfortunately we didnt see the take away menu until the next day which is when we were leaving. The bedroom doesnt have an airconditioner, there is only one large one in the lounge, and there is no laundry in the room, but otherwise it is a lovely hotel and very good value if you arent looking for harbour views. We would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple