“Great Location, Average Room”

Ranked #89 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My daughter and I chose this hotel primarily for the location and secondary as we are Accor Club Members and receive a better rate. We were spending one night in Sydney and this hotel was within easy walking distance of the Lyric Theatre and The Powerhouse Museum where we wanted to visit. It also gave us easy access, again on foot, to a variety of dining opportunities.

Arriving by car, the area was congested so I double parked and my daughter went in to check in. She found the young lady on reception, while did her job, a little lacking on personality. Luckily a car left and I was able to find a safe parking spot so we could go to our room. We chose the valet parking at an extra $15 charge purely for the convenience. This is over and above the $30 24 hour parking charge.

Reception was large and presented clean and tidy. Lifts were fine too as were the corridors leading to our room.

We chose a room with 2 king singles and found the room, while adequate, quite small. Glad we were only staying one night as there certainly wasn’t room to move and had we have been going on a shopping expedition or been international travellers with a larger amount of luggage, the room would have been extremely snug.

The beds were suitably comfortable and we didn’t suffer any outside noise. Our room looked toward the Entertainment Centre. The bathroom had great lighting, a refreshing change especially for two ladies! Towels were large, clean and soft. The shower over the bath was fine for us, but I expect could be a problem to those a little less able as it was a very large step over the bath and the standing room in the shower was also very narrow.

A vent in the bathroom could have done with a good clean. The iron needed to be replaced as it was damaged on the bottom. Perhaps these things could be tidied up.

Overall for the price we paid, I would only rate it as average. Then staying in Sydney CBD is always an expensive experience, but I would say this would be one of the most expensive I’ve paid (over $300 room only) with average return. Would I return? Only if there were no better options for my next Sydney city visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Extratraveltocome

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Location was great. Check in was relative quick and got late checkout but was for only at 1200pm (where normal checkout was 11). The room was relatively clean but outdated and small. Small to the point that the TV is located on the side of the bed. Can you imagine lying in bed with the TV on your side. Not conducive for watching.

Location is more like Chinatown than Darling Harbour. Toilet was generally clean but there were spots of moulds on the tiles. It was a good stay but not great.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Really well placed hotel, within walking distance of Darling Harbour, China Town and CBD shopping. They have a pillow menu, but we did not need to swap, the beds were very comfortable, and that says a lot as my sister and I both have bad backs!

Room Tip: reasonable views either side
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Peter-NRDH, General Manager at Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, and that you had a comfortable sleep during your stay.

We hope to welcome you back to the Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Peter-NRDH, General Manager at Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Check in was efficient and smooth, but my first thought on walking into our room was...the sheets aren't clean..They didn't look like freshly laundered sheets..and if they were they need an ironing lady! The other disappointment was the quilt...its just a dirty quilt with a sheet under it and a sheet over it....not even inside a cover.....
Rang for ice, which arrived very quickly and was free..
The TV is in totally the wrong place for watching from bed...its on one side of the room, Its also unusual to find a major hotel that only has an in bath shower...climbing in and out of the bath might be difficult for older people. Parking is $30 overnight, or $45 valet.
Location is good..but overall I was disappointed and would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel....
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear AustraliaUnitedfan,

Firstly, please accept my sincerest apologies for the type of service you received at Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour during your recent stay. This is not the type of cleanliness that any guest should receive from a Novotel, and is certainly not typical of this hotel. You can be assured that I have addressed these issues with my housekeeping department to ensure that this does not reoccur.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to invite you back to the Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour to experience the type of service for which this hotel can and does deliver. Please contact me directly to arrange when you are looking to return to Sydney for your next visit.

On a pleasant note, I'd like to thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review for the hotel, your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I was glad to read that you enjoyed the service you received upon check in, as well as the location of the hotel.

Once again, please accept my most sincere apologies for your experience, and I do hope that you will return to the Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour again in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at the Novotel for 3 weeks, a home away from home if you like. We managed to get fantastic rates and free breakfast thrown in.. The location is perfect, accessible by foot to everything.

Reception was very friendly, we highly recommend you stay here. Both Laura and Renato were a pleasure at the front desk..

We look forward to retuning in the future..

• Stayed: May 2014
Peter-NRDH, General Manager at Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Angelak195,

Thank you for taking the time to write the hotel such a nice review. It was delightful to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here at Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour for the 3 weeks, and was particularly pleased that you enjoyed the service and staff friendliness.

We hope to welcome you back to the Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed 1 night. Room on 2nd floor at rear. Price reasonable for Sydney. Staff very friendly. Great location. Not far from China Town and easy walk to Darling Harbour and City centre. Breakfast very good. Next time would book a room higher up facing front overlooking Darling Harbour so room was quieter as rear overlooks busy main road. As usual for location unable to open windows for fresh air although this would have added to noise in room.

Room Tip: Suggest room high up overlooking Darling Harbour which would be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Utsa,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed a pleasant stay, and especially enjoyed the staff friendliness, location and breakfast.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Sydney, and we hope to welcome you back to the Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour again soon.

Kindest Regards