“One nite was enough”

Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour
Ranked #72 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Stayed overnite at Novotel and glad we were only staying one nite.Rooms were only average, couldnt open a window,bed uncomfortable and $45 a nite for parking.
The only positive was the location to Darling harbour but i think next time will go elsewhere with easy access to public transport to harbour might be better option.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Darling harbour is a great location but $260 for a room with no view was pretty pricey.

The shower pressure in my room was not great but apart from that it was comfortable and perfectly adequate for an overnight stay.

Not the sort of place I would want to stay for more than a night. No benefit for being a Gold AClub member.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AussieStrategist
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The Novotel Darling Harbour was good value, given it is in a great location. It ticks many of the boxes eg. swimming pool, easy parking, good buffet breakfast. Service was good to great - very funny & helpful concierge chap.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank freed0
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My husband & I spent 2 nights prior to my turning 60 on Nov 6th. Whilst you cannot argue that the Novotel Darling Harbour is in a prime location you pay big time for that location & I must admit that the price to park there sticks in my throat. Why does it have to cost so much? $90 for 2 nights. Ouch. It stings.Youcould stay for 1 night at some other hotels for the price that we had to pay for the parking. Was impressed with the view but once again you pay extra for that. The room was clean & tidy but we were disappointed with the fact that there was an open bottle left in the mini bar.Breakfast choices. Very limited we felt but what was on offer was okay Service was let down on 2 occasions when we went to eat in the restuarant. Both times the wait was unnacceptable. My husband went to walk away & they came running with an apoplogy. There was no excuse as there was only one other table occupied at the time.. Would reconsider doing something like that again.

1  Thank Ruthie0611
AccorDHSM, General Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour.

We are disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with the service you received in our food and beverage outlets during your stay and for this we sincerely apologise. To ensure we can rectify these issues we would like to speak with you in order to gain more information so that we can fully investigate the matter.

We would ask for you to please contact our Food & Beverage Manager on h1181-fb02@accor.com or phone on +61 2 9288 7145 to discuss your stay in further detail.

Traveller, once again we apologise that we did not meet your expectations and look forward to talking with you soon.

Kind regards
Lorraine Mercuri
Accor's Darling Harbour Hotels

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I dislike Novotel hotels and try to avoid them whenever I can, but a client had booked this hotel for me, so I didn't want to make a fuss. The room I had was great—overlooking Darling Harbour, so if you are here on a Saturday night, you will have a front-row seat for the free 9pm fireworks display. But that's about it for the pluses. The internet is expensive—but I expect that in Australia. What I don't expect is to be charged $25 PER DEVICE—this is just gouging. It was reasonably fast (4Mb/s) but after you have downloaded just 300Mb in a day, they either cut back your download speed, or charge you an extra ten cents per Mb. This is useless for business users who need to access large work files from the Cloud. There is a pool and a seating area outside, but no waiter service out there, and there are no vending machines anywhere in the hotel, so you will have to go to a local convenience store for drinks. The fitness center has a few machines, but it is very small for a hotel of this size. The breakfast is OK, but the housekeeping service is erratic. I was going out for a few hours, and asked housekeeping to make up the room, but four hours later, it hadn't been done. And on another occasion, the housekeeper thought that a plastic bag of teabags that I had placed on a shelf was garbage, and tossed them in the trash. There was nothing about this stay that made me reconsider my negative view of Novotels.

Room Tip: Get a Harbour facing room if you can
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My partner and I just stayed in an executive room with city views for a night away. While the room was clean and the view awesome. I must say that I was less than impressed with the service. When we checked in we were given a card that didnt work or allow us to use the elevator so we could et to the room on top of that we were provided all in all inaccurate information on how to get to our room. It took 20 mins to find the room after we went back to the service desk wheer one person was working and we again had to wait in line behind checkins. While we were running late this made us very late to meet friends who we had gone to see. The next morning we went to have breakfast at the buffet. The girl asked us why we were there, and looked like she had just come off a big night out her manner was rude and when I said I could remember if we ordered the buffet breakfast or not she sighed and said well let me see...it seemed like it was an effort for her to look. On checkout I was handed a card so as to have my parking validated when I went to use the card to leave the next door parking lot it would not work. I had to call the intercom and was advised I had been handed the wrong type of card the guy said he could help and I would need to go back to the hotel and ask, which didnt play well to a few motorists behind us as I had to back up out of the exit while one person shouted some nasty names about having to reverse also. I then had to make my way back up to the hotel and I explained the situation. The girl said I was handed the wrong card. I tried to explain to her that this was the second time weirdly enough this had happened. She handed me two cards and informed of the process. I attempted to tell her of the other situation as I have worked in customer service and only wanted to make her aware. She said "allright here is your card, good day" maybe she was having a bad day,I dont know. Overall good venues near by, room was nice a bit dimly lit in the bathroom in which the fan didnt work beds were awesome. But I got the felling they just didnt care if you were there or not, so the serive as the only dower of the day. I wont be recommending to friends or going back ever again

Dear Jason A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your feedback as allows us to continually review and improve our service and facilities.

We were most concerned to hear of your comments in relation to the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies that the service you experienced was less than satisfactory. We have discussed your concerns with the Front Office Manager to ensure that all of our staff are providing the best customer service. Here at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour we pride ourselves in warm customer service which appears to have fallen short on this occasions.

Jason, whilst we cannot turn back the clock on your experience, we certainly value your patronage and would like to welcome you back upon your next trip to Sydney so that we may have the opportunity to provide the service and standard in which we pride ourselves and one would expect from Novotel.

Kind regards