“Very average and overpriced, unfriendly staff at front desk”

Park Regis City Centre
Ranked #131 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The hotel is a bad choice if you are on business travel as I was. It is overpriced, the rooms are incredibly small, also the hallways are extremely small and there were unpleasant smells when I went up to my room. The hotel pool on the roof is kind of nice but pretty useless, I don't think anybody actually uses it. When I went up there to go for a swim in the next morning after my arrival, there were lots of huge dead bugs and insects swimming in the pool, also some food and a newspaper, so obviously nobody takes care of the pool or cleans it (at least this was my experience). I felt disgusted and didn't go into the water. Also, "pool" is a bit overdone, it is more like a larger bathtub, you cannot really swim, because, after one stroke you've crossed the whole "pool" already. This "pool" is probably only installed there to earn more hotel stars or for promotion reasons, but it is actually pretty useless and a bit disgusting.
The hotel is not nicely decorated in the interior, the floor carpet looks very cheap, the rooms are extremely basic and VERY small, almost like in a backpackers hostel. There was lots of dust and dirt in the room, I didn't even have space to store away my luggage, and in the bathroom there where fungi on the tiles - DISGUSTING! This hotel is like a better backpacker's hostel but definitely does not have the quality of a a good, decent hotel. I was very disappointed and found the hotel WAY OVERPRICED, considering the quality of the room I had (7th floor with no view at all but to the wall of the neighboring building). Maybe top level rooms are nicer, but that's not the point here, because EVERY room has to meet minimal standards in a hotel when they charge that much for it.
The reason why I finally only give one point (=not acceptable) for this disappointing joint is the extremely unfriendliness of staff when I arrived after a 22 hour flight from Europe at around midnight. The clerk at the front was just an idiot, bossing me around and acting in an aggressive manner when I was asking for a better (and, of course, much more expensive and also overpriced) room. I couldn't get another room because, allegedly, the were booked out. Although I had credit card reservation, he said, they thought I would not arrive and that they would have given away my room to the next customer, so I should consider myself lucky to still have a room. WHAT AN IMPUDENCE !!!!! - such an idiot. I've been traveling all around the world, but such a cretin I've never had to greet me at a hotel front desk!! I acknowledge that the clerks on the next days were more friendly and helpful, so you could say, I had bad luck with that person, but I think, such a socially incompetent person should NEVER be in charge at the front desk to begin with. Because of that experience and the overall very bad, disappointing impression this hotel made on me, I can only give one point.

The ONLY advantage of this hotel is its convenient location near to downtown, in the middle of business district, but that's all and that is not worth the overpriced rates there. In particular, when I'm on business travel, it is important for me to have a good experience at my hotel, which wasn't the case here at all.
I recommend spending even more money for one of the other probably similar overpriced hotels in that area but having a probably much nicer experience and getting more value for your money.
All in all I cannot at all recommend this hotel. It's not worth your money.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Park Regis City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Dear Einstein009,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Park Regis City Centre and your feed back dated 29th February 2012. I was surprised to read your feedback and wanted the opportunity to address the issues raised in your review.

The Swimming Pool belongs to the building. All cleaning and servicing is conducted by Body Corporate services. The pool does not belong to the hotel but the building provides access for our guests to utilize the swimming and laundry facilities. I have forwarded your observations to the building Manager.

The Hotel has a painting maintenance program and this is ongoing. Rooms facing Park Street do not have views and considering we are in the heart of the CBD it can be expected that there would be a percentage of rooms which would not have a view.

During Event Periods and from mid week through to the weekend the Hotel is usually booked out. Arriving at Midnight on a night when the Hotel is fully booked makes it impossible to move a guest to another room. Rates will vary depending on occupancy and events and this is common practice throughout hotels. I am unsure what conversation occurred with the staff member on shift but with minimal details on this review it is difficult to identify who was on shift. All staff have been spoken to regarding customer service.

Thank you once again for your feedback I am confident that we will rectify the issues that you have raised and in the future offer yourself and all our guests the standards they expect.

I appreciate you taking time to give us your feedback.

Kind regards,

Michael Vera-Lobos

Write a ReviewReviews (2,271)

Reviewed 22 February 2012

location was really good, everything at ur fingertips, the room was way to small, it had a queen bed in it, l have stayed there before with twin beds, that size room was good, so l took my hubby this time he wasnt impressed with the bed touching the walls one step out of bed into the toilet, the room was very clean, pillows were crap, the linen xtremely clean, 2 tiny windows to stick ur head out and look at brick walls on either side, but close to everything in the city.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel was walking distance to all the major attractions. check in time was 2pm, the reception staff looked after our luggages at no cost as we were there at 10. Our room was the premier king bed on 12th floor. Theres a small window where u can see the traffic below. The bathroom was very basic, no toothbrush! The bed was very comfy. Overall I was really happy with the stay. We paid $135 per night which was alright as we saved lots of time and money with transport around the city. we found a pool on the roof on 45th floor, the view was amazing too.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I just spent 2 nights and had a fantastic time. The staff went above and beyond with help and service. The room was a corner one on the sixth floor which we were told allowed more room for the double and single bed requested. Nice view over Hyde Park and back to city. No problems with the shower pressure or flooding in fact better than my one at home. Location perfect to make use of many eateries, public transport or even to walk around the CBD. There was a problem with the air con not working the first day but once we notified reception it was fixed immediately. We overall felt excellent value for somewhere just to sleep each night. An amazing view from the 45th floor was the icing on the cake!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

The rooms were clean if a little small and staff friendly and obliging. The main thing was the Hotel is walking distance to everything near the city centre.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I had read the reviews regarding noise and was slightly apprehensive, but we had decided that location was very important to two ladies who are getting on a bit!
Yes the noise from the traffic was there but it was more background noise than intrusive and I must agree with Penelope's comments that if you want to stay in a city within a certain budget you have to put up with the drawbacks. The helpfulness of the staff and cleanliness of the room more than made up for the noise.
Only negative comment was a slight stale smeel emanating from the bathroom (we suspect the shower curtain/drain) but it was not serious enough for us to complain about.

Room Tip: Try for a higher level room as this may make the noise level diminish a little, either that or take...
1  Thank AilsaPerth_Scotland
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel during a spur of the moment trip to Sydney. Having learned that most reasonably priced accommodation was booked out in Sydney that weekend, we felt lucky to find the Park Regis, especially because it is so central and they offered a "park view". On arrival we quickly realised why everyone was staying elsewhere.

This hotel is what I would call budget accommodation, even if the price doesn't always reflect that. Our room was comfortable but the building is quite dated. And the street noise was unacceptably loud in the room. The on-site parking is very cramped and we were very glad we had brought our small car - I would not have even attempted to drive our 4WD in there... way too scary and difficult to manouevre without hitting anyone.

This hotel may suit those on a tight budget who aren't looking for anything flash but want to be centrally located near Town Hall, Hyde Park and Oxford Street. It definitely wasn't to our taste and I certainly hope that international visitors don't judge Sydney by this place. Hotel management should seriously consider double glazing the windows.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family