“Near Hyde Park, Town Hall transit station”

Park Regis City Centre
Ranked #137 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We enjoyed our stay ( even though it was cut short a day because of a delayed flight). The room is of adequate size, had a refrigerator and hot water pot, shower was strong and hot, front desk folks were nice. I would rate it more of a 3 1/2. It has a small lobby - but why would you want a large lobby? The bed was comfortable - and I am picky. There is construction going on and it is loud between 8 - 4 but we did not spend time during the day at the hotel. The pool isn't open now but should re-open sometime. We took the 555 bus on George Street (it is free) to Circular Quay one day and the other walked to
Macquarie Point to view the Opera House and walk around The Rocks. Great location to explore Sydney and a reasonable price. We also walked to the convention center area.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 9th floor facing the street, there was some street noise but not bad with earpl...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank looski
SWHG_Operations, Front Office Manager at Park Regis City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear looski
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at Park Regis City Centre. Our entrance and lobby area is small however as you mention it is perfectly adequate with a seating area and the front desk. Many guests have compliments about our beds and mattresses so that you for including this in your review. The construction noise you have mentioned is repair work to the exterior of the building. This work is on going and any noise is kept to a minimum and only during designated work hours. Our swimming pool on level 45 has re-opened since your stay, I apologise that you did not have a chance to experience this during your visit. Thank you once again for taking the time to leave a review.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,357)

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Conveniently located to transport & shops. But definitely not a comfortable place to stay. Room is very small & dated. Aircond don't seem to work well. Shower facility is horrendous. Can't get the right water temperature for a comfortable shower. It is either scalding hot or freezing cold. Noted that this is the constant feedback and yet nothing is done. Need to pay for Wi-fi which is a standard provision in many developed cities where such free facility is available only in the common area. Definitely not value for money & would be disastrous to recommend the place to anyone.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Judy T

Dear Judy T

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apology that your stay was not to your expectations, we aim to provide all guests with a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Our hotel has a centralised air-conditioning system with an individual control for the fan speed in each room. The showers at the hotel have an individual electric hot water system installed in each bathroom, these have just recently been upgraded which has improved the temperature control which you have mentioned. There is a charge for wifi however our members receive 1 hour complimentary for each stay. I disagree concerning value for money as I believe we are reasonably priced considering our nearby competitors and our central location.

A TripAdvisor Member
Port Macquarie
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The front desk service I received upon late entry was exceedingly good. Nothing was any problem for the staff and they were exceedingly courteous and professional. I requested the same quiet room which I had on a prior visit which was large & at the rear of the building with plenty of sunlight. The ensuite was scrupulously clean as was the bedroom. All electricals worked perfectly, as I knew they would. The Park Regis City Centre is right in the middle of the CBD with transport only a few steps away. I recommend the Park Regis City Centre highly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with innstant.com
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I stayed in park regis hotel on few occasions for different purposes like staying overnight then the following day I went to Sydney International airport for my flight. You choices of transportation like the train from Town Hall train station or by taxi or by shuttle service to the airport.

The hotel is so convenient to everything, pubs are just around the corner and department stores are all walking distance. This is great if you are in Sydney for shopping spree.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the main street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The location of this hotel is great if you want to be in the heart of the CBD, being just around the corner from Town Hall Station.

It is essentially a high rise motel. The service on arrival was good and they let me put my bags into the room at 10.30am before going to my meeting.

The room was motel style and quality and the common areas were a bit tired.

The bed was OK and the room not too noisy bearing in mind that Park Street never sleeps. That of course is the trade off for convenient.

Sydney was full when I booked, so paid top dollar for the room - hence I have marked down value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I used this hotel for a conference and stayed two nights. The staff were very friendly and helpful (great work). The rooms themselves were clean and comfortable and had everything you might need in them, however they apparently had a plague of Bogong moths in Sydney. The entire hotel stank of moth balls - a really pungent napthalene smell. At first I was given a room on one of the floors further up the building, 11 or 12, I cannot remember. I could smell moth balls quite strongly and opened the window, until I saw that the management had placed a sign in the room saying, "Do not open the window - moths will come in". There were no screens on the windows. The room was nice and it was a good size, cosy but comfortable and I quite liked it so I accepted it and tried to put up with the smell. I ate dinner and returned to my room, and after sitting there for an hour or two, felt quite sick and was having trouble breathing from the napthalene smell. I did some internet research and discovered that napthalene can be harmful to breastfeeding mothers and infants, and exposure can cause health problems for others as well. After two hours and a sick tummy I was over it and called down to reception about the problem. They were very helpful and offered me a room change. The next room was bigger but not as comfortable, and it was on the 7th floor. The air conditioning in both rooms was very noisy and old, so without being able to open windows there was really no way of having air circulation through the rooms. The napthalene smell was less in the second room, but the noise was phenomenal. Apparently in Sydney people are a lot naughtier on Friday nights than Saturdays, as there were sirens every 15 minutes or so, which echoed and bounced off the buildings and were incredibly loud. Both nights I only got about 4 hours sleep because of the noise but I was unwilling to complain and get moved again. The service was good, but the moth balls are not a healthy way to get rid of moths. Try fitting some screens, so at least people can open a window? Really, I got home and my clothes in my bag stank of moth balls, just from being on the floor in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up, but if it smells like moth balls when you walk in, get another one, because...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
SWHG_Operations, Front Office Manager at Park Regis City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Bexytea

Thank you very much for staying at Park Regis City Centre. I am pleased that you have mentioned our friendly staff and our clean and comfortable rooms. Bogong moths were an issue across the whole of Sydney earlier this year. During their migration every year they pass through Sydney and are attracted to the lights in the city. At the hotel we keep our windows closed during this period, all rooms have air-conditioning, and we leave a note in each room advising guests not to open windows. Our housekeeping department clean all rooms very thoroughly each day and I disagree that there is an odour or naphthalene smell. As you have mentioned our staff were able to offer you an alternate room. In regards to the noise our hotel has recently completed installing double glazing into 3 floors which has reduced the noise levels inside the rooms. I apologise that the city noise disturbed your sleep. Thank you once again for taking the time to leave your review.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

It's ok is about all I can say. Reception is clean, beds are comfy enough and room is clean. Downside, additional charges for the wifi!! Why do some hotels still do this!? In my opinion, in this day and age wifi is as essential as a bed and I wouldn't expect to be charged extra for my bed!! I'm pretty sure they borrowed the shower curtain from my 88 year old nan, I didn't feel too safe in the squeaky lift, the pool was out of order and reception staff perhaps require a wee bit of customer service training! Location was good though, about 20 min walk to the harbour and close to the shopping district.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flyrobfly

Dear flyrobfly

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am pleased that you found the hotel clean and our beds comfortable. We do charge for wifi access at our hotel. I understand that wifi access is becoming more and more important to guests and this service will be reviewed by our General Manager. All bathrooms at the hotel have a shower only, we do not have bath tubs. Most rooms have shower curtains however we have very recently installed shower screens into selected rooms and are reviewing which is the best option. There are 2 lifts for the hotel which are reliable and serviced regularly. The swimming pool on the rooftop is currently undergoing maintenance repairs and will be back in service early in the new year, I apologise if this inconvenienced your stay. Our central location is a positive for many guests, we are walking distance to most attractions in the city. Thank you once again for your feedback.