“Best location in Sydney”

Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

The Pullman has stiff competition around Circular Quay, and I'm sorry to say that it fell short in almost every way.

The hotel is workmanlike. The decor is tired and could do with a refresh. The ventilation system in my room was so loud that it sounded like a waterfall or shower running -- I turned it off.

I needed to take antihistamines immediately upon walking into the room -- I have dust and dust mite allergies, which were aggravated just by sitting on the couch. This added to my impression of the room as a bit run-down. The fridge door had to be slammed shut and then held closed for a minute, otherwise it would beep incessantly. Housekeeping left the fridge beeping every day.

Check in and check out were smooth but service very pointedly not 5-star as bored staff prioritised chatting amongst themselves.

Breakfast was the worst hotel breakfast I have ever eaten: poached eggs were very wet and tasted strongly of vinegar, scrambled eggs were an atrocious congealed mess of half dry omelette and half stringy goo. The lady at the table next to me requested well done eggs and received runny eggs. She could not eat her bacon as it had all been burned. Service was inconsistent -- I received green tea in a pot one day, and a green tea bag in a mug the next morning. The one nice touch is a small "amuse-bouche" -- one day a tiny pot of yoghurt, the next a small container of bircher muesli.

This a complaint common to almost all hotels these days that have iPod docks: they use the old connector that was retired in 2012.

In the end, the hotel room was just a place to stay. It added nothing to my trip to Sydney, and was certainly not a highlight of my trip.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here if you don't get a harbour view room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank epw2012
Wayne T, General Manager at Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear epw2012,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us after your recent stay.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that your experience was short of the one we aim to deliver to our guests in a number of areas. I truly appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention so I can ensure they do not reoccur. I apologise they are issues that were not resolved during your stay.

I’d like to invite you to please contact our Front Office Manager, Raymond George to further discuss the issues you have brought to our attention so we can apologise personally. He can be contacted on E. H8779-FO@accor.com or P. 02 9256 4000.

We look forward to hearing from you soon, epw2012.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just home from long week-end here and will definitely return when visiting Sydney.
The Reception Staff were very good , room was spotless, location was just spectacular, we were on the 10th floor overlooking The Harbour. The housekeeping gentleman was also courteous when I asked for an extra tea-bag...small things but make you "feel at home" !
Very central to many attractions, also close to trains , ferry and nice restaurants.
We also went to see The Chinese Garden .... lovely. Also the tour of The Opera House was well worth doing, most enjoyable.
I recommend staying here.

Room Tip: I think the waterfront room was a great choice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear sandra c,

Thank you very much for sharing the highlights of your long weekend with us here at Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour.

I am so glad your family enjoyed all aspects of what was on offer for you to experience... including the extra cup of tea.

Thank you for your high recommendation. I very much look forward to the privilege of warmly welcoming you and your family back to the hotel on your next visit to Sydney.

I trust you made it home safely to Melbourne and have had a relaxing and enjoyable week so far.

Rockhampton, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

First of all, the location is spectacular. The rocks, Sydney bridge, Opera house and botanic gardens are all in close proximity. Secondly, the staff overall were very courteous. The manager Chris even wrote a happy birthday note and left a nice surprise for us in the room. We had the botanic garden view, which was absolutely gorgeous and serene. Unfortunately, the spa bath did not work, and the staff was not able to fix it for us. We stayed for one night, therefore this was one disappointing factor we experienced during our stay. The room in our eyes felt more like an apartment, the amenities were spot on. Especially if you are staying for a longer period of time as it also includes a washing machine and dryer. The balcony, is very large and a perfect spot to sit after a day of exploring Sydney. The breakfast was delicious, one staff member seemed to be a bit impersonal and rude, however the other staff member that we encountered was on the other side of the spectrum and an absolute delight. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and recommend it for people who enjoy staying in a hotel close to landmarks and in a room with kitchen and laundry facilities.

Room Tip: garden view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Wayne T, General Manager at Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear anne d,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate such a special occasion with us. I am thrilled you had an enjoyable stay celebrating your birthday so perfectly.

Please accept me sincerest apologies we were unable to fix the spa immediately or have the availability to move you to a suite with one working. In order to fix the spa, we required to source an external tradesman specialising in the area. I apologise this was not a suitable resolution when staying one night.

I look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel on your next trip to Sydney.

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We returned to this property after an interval of thirteen years , to find that it had been taken over by Accor and renovated. We had a well equipped one bed apartment on the ninth floor overlooking the Botanic Gardens which was quiet and felt like home in the city. We didn't make much use of the other services (some of which were surprisingly expensive) but thought the reception and door staff were very professional , welcoming and efficient . A small niggle is that the equipment in the fitness centre is very old and badly in need of replacement . Heartily recommend this property to anyone seeking a well located short stay apartment with hotel services.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the gardens rather than Circular Quay will be quieter
Dear GXWLondon,

Thank you so kindly for your review after your recent stay with us.
You are very correct about our Garden View Suites; it is certainly very peaceful to relax in the suite overlooking the tranquil and serene gardens.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our fitness equipment. I very much appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a weekend here to burn off some points, so paid one night on points and the other in cash. We had a harbour view suite and I imagine we got an upgrade to the top floor as we are Le Club Accor Gold. The hand written welcome card was a nice touch.

The suite itself was nice and spacious and came fully equipped with a small kitchen and laundry. Kitchen is equipped with a nespresso machine and a good size fridge/freezer as well. Separate bedroom with 2 wardrobes and a nice spacious bathroom with a large spa bath and separate shower. And of course a great view over the Harbour bridge and Circular Quay. There is a nice pool and spa downstairs, the pool is heated to a very nice temp and you can sit in the spa and watch the ferries coming and going.

Generally, we found the staff in the hotel to be friendly. However the restaurant staff in Eastside downstairs need to do some retraining... We went to have lunch here on the Saturday. We were pointed to a table ... We then waited for several minutes before someone came and plonked a menu on our table... no hello, no eye contact, just literally dropped the menu's on our table and walked away. It was at that point that I said to my husband, we don't need to eat here and left. So my recommendation is to avoid this place as they just cant be bothered.

A couple of minor letdowns on the housekeeping side - the cupboard under the kitchen sink where the rubbish bin was kept, the base of that area was quite dirty... and the valance on the bed was not put on straight. Minor details yes, but shows that the level of care is not quite up there. And of course my favourite bug bear in any hotel is that I check the air vents in the bathrooms and 8 times out of 10 they are usually dirty... as they were here. A note to housekeeping, run the vacuum over it to clear out the dust...

Location wise, this is a great spot. But the general noise from Circular Quay kind of got on my nerves after a while, specifically the guy with the didgiredoo... so in that regard, I'd probably end up staying elsewhere next trip. But all in all, I would generally recommend.

1 Thank starrf1re
Dear starrf1re,

As a loyal member of Accor, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and providing us with your feedback after your stay.

I am very grateful you had an enjoyable stay overall.
I very much appreciate your feedback regarding the minor details in cleanliness of our suites. I will be sure to pass your feedback on to our Housekeeping department to ensure these issues are amended for future guests.

Regarding your experience in the restaurant downstairs on Circular Quay, please be advised this restaurant is not part of Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour or Accor. I am sorry to hear you did not have a pleasurable experience dining there.

I trust you had a safe journey home.

McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were only in Sydney for 2 nights, after a 2 1/2 week trip to various spots throughout Australia, but thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Pullman Quay Grand. We were greeted warmly by reception, and they immediately offered to make reservations for us at the two restaurants we wanted to visit. We were 3 people (a couple in their 50s, along with their 21 year old daughter) and had a one bedroom Harbor View corner suite apartment with a living room, kitchen, washer and dryer, and a large balcony overlooking the Harbor with views of Sydney Bridge! The room wasn't inexpensive, but we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go, so we saved on transportation within the city. We all felt it was worth the price and capped off our vacation perfectly!

Room Tip: Many others have said so, but get a Harbor view room! It is so worth it! We were on the 4th Floor...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank walkerpick
Dear walkerpick,

What a privilege to have you stay with us for your trip to Sydney during your Australian travels.
I am delighted your family had a perfect end to your vacation. It is very much a perfect way to see Sydney, right in the heart of the Harbour with some of our greatest icons right at your doorstep.

Thank you for your kind review and recommendation.

I trust you and your family travelled home safely and are settling in well.