“Will never stay anywhere else when in Sydney”

Quay West Suites Sydney
Ranked #19 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Salamander Bay
“Will never stay anywhere else when in Sydney”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in many five star establishments in Sydney and more specifically The Rocks. I cannot talk more highly of Quay West apartments. We enjoyed having a full kitchen, laundry, dining room and lounge with a TV in the bedroom and lounge. We love this place! The staff are attentive, pleasant & can't do enough for you.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hagen W, General Manager at Quay West Suites Sydney, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you 'bedhead7271' for the fantastic review! I am so happy to hear that not only did you enjoy the facilities of the hotel, but also that our staff exceeded your expectations! We hope to see you again soon, Joleen.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Korean first
Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Had a great stay here in two bedroom suite. Huge room and fantastic view from large windows.
Walk to anywhere and a really convenient mini supermarket very close. Breakfast was also very good. Would stay again fantastic value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
JoleenH2000, General Manager at Quay West Suites Sydney, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you 'pakaxx' for your review, and I am so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. I hope we will see you again soon, Joleen.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had a few criteria in choosing our hotel in Sydney . Number 1 was a great view of opera house and/ or Harbour Bridge. Well we got both in our 2 bed suite! Stunning view much enjoyed by our photography mad son. Great location in the Rocks- although lots of steps - but not a problem. Close to circular quay, bit longer walk to CBD but all fairly easy. Room was not highest level luxury but modern, clean, comfortable , well- equipped and perfectly adequate. Pool area poorly maintained- hot tub not working. Concierge, restaurant and reception staff were all helpful and efficient. Breakfast buffet was good and varied each day. Would stay again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you 'janeymcp' for your review, it is great to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon, Joleen.
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Hotel is at a good location. Rooms are ok, besides the fact we found pubic hair in the bath tub. Bathrooms bit dated like the swimming pool on the 22nd floor. Spa was unfortunately not working. But this area has a great view of the Sydney harbour. Breakfast is reasonable but small in a to small breakfast area where we had to wait for a table one morning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you 'ActiveTraveller115' for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. Please note that these Housekeeping issues have been addressed, and have been taken very seriously, so please do accept my sincere apologies. I am pleased to hear you did enjoy your stay with us otherwise, and hope to welcome you back again soon, Joleen.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We arrived in Sydney at 6am after 20+ hours of flying and were delighted when the front desk shuffled room assignments to accommodate an early check-in. The apartment was ideal for the ultra early risers (3am) to have living space and not disturb those able to sleep. The kitchen was very well equipped and useful for everyone on different schedules. The location couldn't have been better. We were able to explore the Rocks, walk to the harbor, enjoy the view and find anything we needed in close proximity.

The included breakfast was very good with friendly staff. The front-desk/reception staff were very helpful and accommodating. They even went into action when we telephoned 30 minutes after checking out to let them know we had forgotten important documents in the room and would be returning to the hotel. When we arrived, our documents were waiting at the front desk and we were able to quickly get back on track to the airport.

Our kids LOVED the pool which was on a high floor with a fantastic view.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It was friendly, functional and in a perfect location.

Room Tip: The higher the better for a great view.
1 Thank Adrienne E
Thank you 'Adrienne E' for your review, it is wonderful to read such positive reviews. I am glad to hear that our staff went above and beyond for you and made your stay extra comfortable. I hope we will see you again on your next trip to Australia, Joleen.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Myself and 2 friends recently stayed in a one bedroom apartment as part of a girls catchup weekend. We wanted to be central to the CBD and of course to The Rocks area for the markets but also close to the ferries so that we could venture over to Manly. The location worked perfectly for all of our itineraries criteria.

Unfortunately, the reservation process didn't start particularly well - due mainly to the fact that I called through to the hotels toll free no. to sort out what seemed to be a discrepancy in pricing and bedding information I was seeing on Expedia. I actually booked through the toll free no. (which was diverted to a call centre overseas) but afterwards didn't feel comfortable that the booking was completely as I had requested. After calling the hotel directly it was confirmed that my suspicions were correct. The gentleman I spoke to at the hotel was not only extremely helpful and polite, but his attention to detail in making sure we had the right room to suit our needs, that breakfast was included in the tariff for all three of us and that any questions I had about what to do in the area were answered via follow up emails.

We were pleasantly greeted on check-in and the fruit infused water cooler at the counter was well appreciated. The process was fast and although our room was not ready on our arrival, which was well short of the check in time anyway, our bags were whisked away seamlessly (no going through the motions of counting and tagging them) and were magically in our room when we entered it later in the day. The hotel even sent us a text as soon as the room was ready which I thought was fabulous.

The room itself (1503) was very tastefully decorated and the furniture was practical, modern and in great condition. The view was to the north east and was just beautiful. We had two singles in the main bedroom and the sofa bed out in the living area, all of which were very comfortable. The bathroom had good lighting (one of my pet hates in hotels is poor bathroom lighting) and a great amount of bench space around the basin to place cosmetic bags and personal items whilst getting ready. Its worth mentioning that the hairdryer was a full size/powered one that worked very well and that the toiletries were of a good quality and displayed beautifully on a 'cheese board' kind of display. The kitchen was very well stocked with cooking utensils and nice crockery/glass wear and it was pleasing to see the addition of an empty fridge alongside the barfridge for our own items.

We did have a hassle trying to figure out the heating/cooling system (probably simple, but we were a bit clueless to the 4 buttons) but after a call down to reception, we had someone in our room within a couple of minutes to go through the settings with us.

The breakfast has all that you would expect from a buffet breakfast service, however the area itself was a little smaller than one you would expect for a hotel of its size. The scrambled eggs were a bit watery and cold, but otherwise the food was good. An area that they could definitely improve on is their coffee service at breakfast. They have one of the press button self service machines which is fine if you either like your coffee black or are not a soy drinker. Barista made coffee is not included in the buffet breakfast service, so if you are like me and order a soy flat white you are charged $5 extra for it.

What could they have done better:
*Provide barista made coffee as part of the buffet breakfast service - especially for non dairy drinkers.
*Parking is very expensive - $59 overnight, which is the most expensive parking I have come across in quite a while.
*When there is a third person in the room the sofa is left made up as a bed, leaving only one tub chair to sit on in a lounge/TV watching kind of setting. We had one night where we wanted to sit and have a glass or two of wine with nibblies while we chatted, so we had one sitting up on the sofa bed, another in a tubchair and the other on a kind of footstool..... not particularly conducive to comfort and relaxation.
*A couple of the scatter cushions in our room had very "organic' white stains on them, which was really off-putting once discovered due to the funky smell detected whilst lying on them! Perhaps better and or regular scrutinising of them by the cleaning staff?

Room Tip: When booking the hotel use the hotels local number instead of the toll free number. The service offe...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank aussiegreta
Thank you 'aussiegreta' for your review, I am pleased to hear that our staff went above and beyond for you to make you and your friends extra comfortable. Please note that all of your feedback has been invaluable in allowing us to improve our services, and will be reviewing these items. I do hope you will allow Quay West Suites Sydney to accommodate you on your next visit to Sydney, and would recommend booking a 2 Bedroom Harbour View should there be more than 3 adults to allow for extra comfort and room. Kind regards, Joleen.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We rented a two bedroom harbour view apartment. The room-superb. The location-superb. The view-super superb. The booking process-terrible. I booked the room in April for a June visit. I always try to book direct with hotels, so I know exactly what I am getting. Well this time I got price gouged! When I got online 2 weeks before our arrival date to check on the bed configurations I found the dates for the room I had booked were now $150 less a night. (we were staying 3 nights). I called Accor to see if they would honour the lower price. The agent assured me they would and he was sending a credit through. 24 hours later-no credit. After numerous phone calls-no change. One would think that Accor would like my business again and honour a lower price THEY were offering. Lesson learned-book through one of the travel sites that let you cancel/change. DON'T book through Accor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you Dana S for your feedback, if you could please contact me directly so I can investigate this issue for you, and will ensure it is rectified immediately. My email address is H8764-GM@accor.com. I would like to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, and hope to restore your faith back into Quay West Suites Sydney. Kind regards, Joleen