“Lovely hotel, great location, good value”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #33 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 14 March 2011

This hotel is really good value. One can normally find a room for under $300 if booking on one of the discount hotel websites. The bathrooms are very spacious with a deep bath and separate shower (hate shower over bath!) and the beds are really comfy. There is a desk and a sofa area which means if you have guests around, you don't have to perch on the edge of the bed like two teenagers!

One of the better value, 5 star hotels in Sydney.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 March 2011

Stayed in an executive suite after finding that our "Park view " room that we booked on www.lastminute.com had twin beds. we had requested a King bed so were really disappointed as the hotel was fully booked and our only option if we wanted a King bed was to pay an extra $150 to upgrade to an executive suite. We did this reluctantly but it was money well spent and the hotel did us a pretty good deal i think.
Really spacious suite- wish i had been staying a week, not one night. Views over Hyde park and the cathedral.
On arrival there was a beautiful fruit platter, chocolate basket and a bottle of red wine awaiting. We also had access to Level 21 for drinks and canapes from 5.30- 7.30 which was lovely. Also had a great breakfast on level one the following morning, which had an extensive range of yummy food.
parking was expensive at $49.00

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Befle
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2011

Dear Befle,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor for all to view. Due to our hotel running at full occupancy my apologies we were unable to allocate your preferred room type. These special requests made via a third party website are not guaranteed and subject to availability, as stated on their websites. I would recommend booking directly on our hotel website as this would provide the best rate guaranteed and the room type requested.

I am pleased to note the upgrade to our Executive Suite made for an enjoyable stay and the added amenities were appreciated. The chocolate basket is always a pleaser along with the spanning views our hotel has to offer, especially from the Sheraton Club Lounge!

Befle, thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton on the Park in the not too distant future.

Brad Mercer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 March 2011

I stayed at Sheriton on the park and they charged my credit card one week later with $91 for the total mini bar. I did not use anything from the mini bar.
I called my credit card company to dispute and they advised to dispute with the hotel as they would never let me stay their again.
I contacted the hotel and they disputed my claim. i am still waiting on a result. this is outrageous

Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
8  Thank Timesx2
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Sheraton on the Park Sydney (hereafter SPS) has been a hotel that I had always admired throughout the years of my stays. I love its location and the overall feel of the hotel never failed to inspire my stays. However this hotel had seen its better days in terms of service. It still is an efficient hotel where it meets my needs to eat, stay and play… but I am left to feel like I am just a transit guest. This certainly was not the case in the past.

SPS is located well, opposite the famed Hyde Park of Sydney and within walking distance to your favorite destinations like the Town Hall, QVB and a slightly longer stroll to the Darling Harbor and the Circular Quay. It surroundings are dotted with cafes and coffee shops and a quick bus ride away on a 333 will take you to the Bondi beach. Very convenient indeed! The hotel looks grandeur from the outside and is well appointed on the inside as well. The lobby is impressive with marble floors and its rooms are delicate. I often get the corner rooms and I always find them adequate for my stays, both in terms of size and amenities.

The breakfast is sufficient too – definitely a notch above that of its rivals for its variety of offerings. As an SPG Plat I also take advantage of the lounge, which does get very crowded at times but is still a great place to hang out. The gym is very well appointed too. I cannot comment on the pool as I have never used it.

In summary the hard product of the hotel is intact and is very good. You will likely have no complaints with regards to these.

In terms of service, the hotel has gone cold and careless. This used to be a property where each and everyone that you encountered greeted you and were interested in whether your stay is going well. The doormen opened doors for you not because they were made to, but because they were genuinely interested in caring for my comfort (or at least that is what it felt like). I still remember the time when I could approach anyone in the staff to strike up a friendly chat. Now, everyone looks busier, even when they are not really ‘busy’. They are always doing ‘something’ and no longer ‘look up’ at the guests.

Just two examples: One would be the concierge. Good were the days when I could approach them and they would be more than happy to assist (i.e. go beyond expectations to help with directions etc). The last time I asked them to fetch my bags from the storage room (on my way to the airport), I was told to wait (he did not even look up at me) while he had to call someone. And so I waited, but as the wait continued for a minute or so, I gently told him that I had to get to the airport soon. To this he tersely put down the phone, swung into the storage room, showed up with my bag and swung it in front of me… before stomping back to his desk to continue making the call. I stood there feeling rather stupid for what felt like a whole minute before moving on out. This is perhaps the only time that I was not even asked the very standard “do you need a taxi to the airport?” This is but one example of the concierge team going downhill. The team has certainly turned much colder.

Another quick example is the phone operator. They now sound like robots and the worst part is that this is now the only hotel that I have ever visited where the operator (or whoever is on the phone) hangs up on you with an abrupt ‘Thank you’ even before you are done talking. Where is the (again) very standard “is there anything else I can help you with?” before hanging up? It feels as if they want to minimize their level of interaction with the guests to the absolute minimum.

Will I stay here again? No I won’t because I do not want to pay 5 star hotel prices for a hotel that is a 4 star. The fifth star is for the service and this has gone missing in my last two stays. I might give it one last chance but it is already off my list as a favorite place to stay in Sydney. I cannot believe that I am saying this now but I really think that the SPS can learn a thing or two from the Hilton or Mr. Zumstein’s team.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jaejaez
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Just ended a 10 night stay at the SOTP. They were definitely very busy during my stay, probably due to the annual Mardi Gras parade. No upgrade available on check in on Feb 26 in the early afternoon. Got standard room on 5th floor with park view (limited) as platinum. Used 21st floor lounge a lot during stay, including for several business meetings (Boardroom was fine for these meetings). Lounge gets very busy at night for drinks and munchies, so busy that many nights there was capacity control. Lounge staff was very kind and accommodating and really took well care of us. Rest of hotel seemed like busy train station during stay. Rooms are good without being anything special. Plumbing in bathroom shower needs overhaul and bathtubs are nothing special. My safe was full of chips from former guest. Problems connecting to Internet in room when renewing subscription. Wi-fi in lounge worked fine. Will come back even though the Westin will still be my first choice. Check-out was fine and I was offered late check-out without any problems.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank WorldflyerBrazil
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Dear Worldfly,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton on the Park and were able to enjoy our Sheraton Club Lounge. The Mardi Gras parade definitely draws a large amount of guests to our hotel due to our perfect location and the Club provides a perfect setting to enjoy all the benefits on offer. I appreciate your lovely feedback regarding our associates looking after you so well.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the plumbing issues that you had faced along with the difficulty in connecting to the internet. There are also numerous complimentary wireless options available for your convenience including the Link @ Sheraton located on the Lobby level, and all public areas throughout the hotel.

Worldfly, thank you for you review and I am pleased to note you will be returning to the Sheraton on the Park.

Brad Mercer – Hotel Manager

Reviewed 26 February 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton on the Park - Sydney for a two day meeting in February of '11. I've been treated better at the Department of Motor Vehicles that I was at this hotel. The building itself is decent enough however the staff were far from accommodating. A 1:00 check-out request from a guest that is a member of a hotel's frequent traveler program is standard....NOT here....$50 for anything past noon! Added to that is the exorbitant internet fees (over $25 per day) and NO free lobby internet and you end up with an amazingly sub-standard hotel experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank COguy
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2011

Dear COguy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor and for contacting us directly in regards to your recent stay at the Sheraton on the Park.

We do endeavor to offer late checkouts to our guests but due to the high occupancy of our hotel late checkout fees do apply after the 11am standard time. Additionally my apologies if you were not informed of the several options available to you for internet usage throughout our hotel; this would include the Link @ Sheraton open 24 hours a day; complimentary wireless in all public areas including the Lobby Level, Level 1 and also in our Sheraton Club Lounge.

We certainly value your patronage and I look forward to connecting with you should you wish to return to the Sheraton on the Park in the not too distant future.

Brad Mercer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 22 February 2011

Sheraton on the Park is situated in the heart of Sydney just a walk away from Darling harbor. Admist the picturesque Hyde park and just next to Sydney tower, the hotel has a beautiful ambiance and great service. I would specially like to congratulate the hotel on its superb staff especially the executive chef Brian Dean and his assistants esp Ms.Deepa. They were so helpful and considerate and have made my stay truly memorable.The Hotel is tastefully done and has spacious, clean and good rooms with all the perks.The Buffet lay for breakfast is great.overall a wonderful and fantastic experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business