“Has Starwood "jumped the shark" in Sydney?”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #31 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton on the Park because the Westin was booked out and I couldn't get a room with a week's notice. (See my recent review of the Westin Sydney). This is of course highly annoying given I've handed them some 20 years of custom at least 7-8 times a year. But I digress.
My Sydney trips are always on someone's corporate business and therefore a corporate rate. I have to ask: does Starwood not really want the big Australian corporates? I ask this because what seems to be happening at the Westin and the Sheraton on the Park is that when their occupancy rates get high, those of us regular and loyal customers on a corporate rate get … shall we say, "relegated," to the least desirable rooms and off the executive floors and at an amended (higher) rate than the company generally obtains.
On this particular trip, I was given a room on the 21st floor, just below the swimming pool, a dark room with a very limited view of buildings. No problem, who needs a view when you're working?
I did have access to the Executive Club but alas they boot you out at 9:00pm sharp. I didn't arrive until 7:00pm, and I'd gone to the gym and didn't get to the lounge until 8:30 or so. So I was kicked out at 9:00pm (so they could get ready for breakfast which doesn't open until after 7), and then was of course forced to go back to my room for inferior internet access and to pay for that access.
Look, I would have been happy enough to have paid, but the internet wasn't all that great in my room.
And then we had the problem of the Noise. I had a huge engine noise in the room. I rang reception and they sent an engineer up. It was obviously the pool equipment, but no one wanted to fess up to that. I mean, why did they sell that room? It was ridiculously loud. Luckily I had earphones and an iPod, but really a valued Starwood customer shouldn't have to resort to that. Further, the Executive Club doesn't open until 7:00am so bad luck if you actually work for a living and have to be at a meeting early. You go hungry.
So, all around, this hotel was a disaster for business for me. I couldn't get online in an efficient manner, and I couldn't get breakfast. And the room sucked. Starwood member for 20+years, but what do they care?
Ok, one positive note: the gym was good. Good, not great, but Good is appreciated.
ShesaTravelDiva

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Bernhard L, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear ShesaTravelDiva,
Thank you for your loyalty and patronage to Starwood Hotels. It is concerning to note your review and can reassure you that we do indeed value all our guests – corporate and leisure and as we are experiencing very high occupancies this may reflect the rate on offer. I can only apologise for your less than perfect experience and will be sure to address your comments with our Management Team.
Warm regards,
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,905)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was alovely hotel, Pricey , but worth every bit. Getting train from airport and crossing the road to the hotel, saved heaps of money and was effortless. The room was huge and spacious, very clean.
The Breakfast was good, but it was let down by inattentive staff. No plates, never given correct cutlery, Begging for coffee. No good for a hotel of this standard. Staff need some direction.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a park room. We did not and regretted it as the backing beepers on trucks...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Cookster_11,
I appreciate the time you have taken to review your stay at the Sheraton on the Park. Many of our guests find it very convenient to catch the train directly from the airport to the hotel due to its convenience as our location is right in the heart of Sydney CBD. Im pleased you enjoyed your guest room and appreciate your feedback regarding our Associates during the breakfast period, which I will be sure to address.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel, and not been disappointed. This time I was even more impressed as I had a view to Hyde Park, still in a standard room though. But it's not just standard. The bathrooms in this hotel are just superb.. There is even a decent lounge to relax on. The hotel was quiet, comfortable and very accommodating.

I had in-room dining as I was staying by myself. Ling Fillet - delicious.. And for dessert - creme brulee - just divine.

Room Tip: Room 1118 was a Hyde Park view room and very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear ShillyCanberra,
Thank you for returning to the Sheraton on the Park and for taking the time to post your review and photos for all to view and enjoy. Its so pleasing to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and especially our ever so popular “crème brulee”

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Not at all up to the regular Sheraton standard with an all time low on the service and friendliness. Would recommend to stay around the corner at Westin or even Hilton where you get a superior service and a hotel that's delivering what you are paying for.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tommy_Kollberg
Bernhard L, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Tommy_Kollberg,
Thank you for your review and also for completing our Online Survey regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton on the Park. Our Manager on Duty had attempted to connect with you whilst you were in residence and left a voice message on your guest room phone and also followed up with an email to address your concerns. I understand you had sent an e-mail the night prior to arrival advising of your very early arrival of 8am thus your reservation was updated accordingly. We were not made aware that you had wished for the reservation to be cancelled for that evening therefore your room was held as per your confirmation. My apologies for your disappointment and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Spacious luxurious room, much larger than average hotel. Delighfully comfortable king size bed. The automatic window shutters helped keep out early morning light and allowed a good nights sleep.
Staff were attentive and helpful.
Ordered room service meal - hot and fresh, delivered in 15 minutes.
Breakfast in restaurant was lavish and everything was of highest quality. Several toasters also eliminated queues which you sometimes get at breakfast time in large hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms which don't back onto the lift well, as you could hear the whirring noise of the e...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Louise P,
Thank you for your wonderful review and 5 Star Rating of your stay with us, at the Sheraton on the Park. Im delighted to note you had such a delightful stay with us and hope to be of continued service to you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had an overnight stay at Sheraton on the Park for a last minute business meeting. We stayed in a city side room ... which is a view of the building next door. Having said that the room itself was spacious and well appointed with a beautiful layout and design. We particularly loved the large luxurious bathroom.The hotel itself is stunning and everything from the greeting at the driveway let's you know you are in for a luxurious stay. The hotel offers great proximity to all the highlights of Sydney CBD. A short stroll away you'll find a hub of shopping that could occupy your whole day. We opted to drive to Darling Harbour which was only a few minutes drive away. Unfortunately our stay was too short to enjoy all the hotel had to offer but we will most certainly be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear renstar2,
We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a longer leisurely stay next time around!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Lucky me! We've just had a few days at the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney. This hotel epitomises the best of CBD hotels, located on the edge of the wonderful Hyde Park, and yet only metres from Sydney's finest shopping. David Jones on one corner, luxury shops on another, and Westfield Mall for numerous shopping options, on another corner. It's not quite two kilometres (an easy walk downhill) to Circular Quay, the Opera House, and The Rocks. All of that of course, makes no mention of the hotel itself - the staff are utterly professional. Helpful, courteous, and unfailingly friendly. We had booked a city-side room, which was very tastefully appointed, and spacious. Only problem was, it looked (as you would expect in the central city) onto the walls of neighbouring high-rise buildings. The porter suggested that, as we were staying for a few days, a park-side room might be nicer, for a not-too-scary upgrade cost. We did exactly that, and were given a room overlooking Hyde Park, and the magnificent St Mary's Cathedral, and the old barracks building. Stunning! The breakfast? Well, thank goodness we did a lot of walking .... too tempting for our own good. I can't imagine a better birthday stay in Sydney.

Room Tip: Obviously the park views are preferable, but the rooms are very tastefully appointed, with lots of s...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travellerholic

Dear Travellerholic,
Happy Birthday! I’m so pleased we were able to play a part in ensuring that your birthday celebrations were both memorable and enjoyable. Its great to note we were able to take such good care of you and that you were so pleased with our products and services. Thank you for choosing Sheraton on the Park for such a special occasion and we hope to see you again soon.