“Ideal city location”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #24 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here for a week in a City View room (view of the office building across the road). On our final night, we also arranged for an adjoining room for our babysitters. The rooms were ordinary and small. The Conservatory Bar was great with a good selection of bar foods. The location is ideal with a short stroll to the Australian Museum and shopping at Pitt St Mall.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KazfromSydney
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear KazfromSydney
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Please note our guest rooms are categorised as “City Side” and not City View with the option of upgrading to the Park View Rooms and our rooms are indeed the largest you will find in Sydney. Im pleased you enjoyed our Conservatory Bar and the location of the hotel was ideal for you and we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,128)

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This is one of the worst hotels I've stayed in for a long time. The rooms are old fashioned, poor quality and need a refurbishment. We paid $400 for an exec park view room - it was just a small room with a very small window on a corner of the park. We had access to the exec lounge which was very busy, tables were dirty and the breakfast options were poor. I was astounded that wifi was not included in the rate. I spoke to the duty manager twice about the quality of the room and leaks In the shower and tap I our room- the leaks were looked at - the rest they don't care. They have a nice location and based on that they seem to be able to charge what they want with no recourse. I would not stay there again. My advice would be to try the newly refurbed park Hyatt which was recommended to us but too late!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Batesi100

Dear Batesi100
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park and for taking the time to complete our Online Guest Satisfaction Survey. Please accept our sincere apologies for the less than perfect stay and for the inconveniences you had experienced. Our guest rooms are the largest you will find in Sydney and our Sheraton Club Lounge is one of the busiest and most popular Lounges in the City Hotels. I understand our Assistant Front Office Manager did connect with you whilst you were in residence to offer an alternate room however this was declined. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights when we first arrived in Sydney. First check in was a breeze and so quick! Thank you! We were in our room within 5 mins of walking into the hotel. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room was spacious! Couldn't ask for anything else after a long flight. Great location as well, right across from the park and St James train station. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tacos23

Dear Tacos23
Thank you for choosing Sheraton on the Park for your stay in Sydney. Im so pleased to read your review and am delighted you had a nice stay with us.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

It's a great location. But very basic. I was meant to have a great view of the city, more like a great view of a wall. Concierge forgot to mention you need to book dinner at the restaurant otherwise it's a 2 hr wait!
I think they have lost their personal touch. Maybe some customer service training will change things. Besides that- expect to see drank guys rocking up in taxis about 12ish.
Yep! That's about it.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank betty d

Dear betty d
Its very disappointing to read your review and note your dissatisfaction with your recent stay at the Sheraton on the Park. Please note our rooms are “City Side” not city view and at times of peak occupancy and weekends, indeed our Restaurant is a busy dining venue however apologies for the disappointment caused.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Notified hotel of early arrival prior to my flights and at checkin told my room (Park view) was vacant and would be ready soon as it was a priority to be cleaned. Waited in the lounge and from approx 60min onwards asked if said room was available (it was not). As I was getting tired of waiting, at 90 min, asked again, and if it was not, was another room available as I wanted to get freshened up (after 24hrs of travel). Told a city view (staring into concrete building on the backside of hotel) was available and I took this. I told the checkin agent that she had an odd definition of soon, at which time she told me there were no guarantees of time (so much for priority!)

I thought this response was ridiculous and sent an email complaint to the hotel which was followed up by the Manager on Duty to my Concrete View Room that she was sorry it was not communicated but it was a large hotel with a lot of business traffic and they don't guarantee times. I was unhappy with her response, esp after being told that I could have waited til the 3pm checkin, as if she was indicating I should have made to wait for a room that was already vacated!

Another followup yielded no better response though after 4 hours, I was told another room was available if I wanted (I had already unpacked my belongings). I asked her to explain how long did she think was reasonable to wait for an empty room that needed to be cleaned and her response was 3 hours. I find the response pathetic. If a hotel cannot tell housekeeping to clean according to Priority (their words), then they have no business in the hospitality industry!

Given that a room would take 25-40 minutes to fully clean, 5-7 rooms would have been cleaned in the 2.5hours it actually took to clean this 'Priority' room. The conversation ended with her saying she will pass it on to the staff. I told her that i was not willing to be a guinea pig to help them make a better hotel, esp at the cost of my enjoyment.

As I had another stay coming up, I decided to move it away from the hotel after our conversations. To further add insult, I went to get a coffee from the lounge at 6:45 as I had to depart at 7 and was flat out refused entry. The inability to accommodate their guests is truly disappointing as I had enjoyed my previous visits in the hotel and this was one of my favourite hotels in the world (of the 150 I have stayed in).

Room Tip: avoid the City View, or you get a view of the businesspeople in the building across the street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank yucanuck

Dear yucanuck
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing feedback you have provided. We do endeavour to assist our guests with their early check in requests however at periods of high occupancy, this can be difficult to achieve. Our guest rooms are categorised as “City Side” and not “City View” and all rooms are cleaned and approved by Management before our guests check in however I do understand your frustration and apologise we were unable to offer you a coffee in our Sheraton Club Lounge as opening hours are from 7.00am.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed 2 nights for a business trip. Very well located, even walked to Woolomooloo and the The Rocks for dinner. Breakfast was an excellent buffett. The cocktail bar was nice and had a jazz band one night.

The room was large and comfortable with a great bed. The room had no view to speak of.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Physim
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I greatly appreciate your feedback and am pleased you enjoyed our Jazz Band in the Conservatory Bar.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Have stayed here before and always end up coming back when the price is right. The location is excellent across the road from St James station with a direct link to the airport.Rooms are clean and a good size. Bed is super comfy and wifi is free in the lobby. Enjoyed the buffet breakfast each day. The home made muesli is the best!!! Only negative is the precooked eggs which sit around far too long. Poached and fried eggs need to be cooked fresh. Otherwise 5 star.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear JaneMJ
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor and for your loyalty and patronage to the Sheraton on the Park. I’m pleased our location suited your needs and you enjoyed your guest room and buffet breakfast (Our Signature Muesli is indeed a popular choice!)