Attributes of Sydney's Sheraton on the Park:
1. Location - overlooking Hyde Park, the hotel is centrally located, close to bus, train stops, stores, museums, lots of dining choices within a ten minute walk that are not in the touristy Circular Quay area, where many other hotels are located.
2. Very good value for a four star hotel. Check out special offerings on rates. Often there are rooms available at rates of three star hotels.
3. For a large hotel, there can be surprising personalized service. Some of the employees have been there for over 15 years. Veteran employees have years of providing service and have a sense of old-fashioned hospitality. Bill Lepentis has been greeting guests at the front door since the hotel opened about 20 years ago. With a good memory he in a quiet way provides follow through with prompt luggage handling before checking in and to in room delivery. All the front door employees are professional, helpful. Our group of travelers to Papua New Guinea have received above and beyond gracious good service from Christian Alvarez, concierge, who quickly senses what one's preferences are and follows up expertly. He has saved us money from thinking outside of the box for quality touring and dining alternatives at a lower price. Amir Mazandarani has been helpful and gracious in behind the scenes organization of our room needs. Diow in housekeeping remembers preferences from previous visits and provides a warm welcome. The front desk and concierge staff seem sincere in providing good service, one feels comfortable knowing that this hotel is the right choice for a Sydney centrally located hotel. There were other employees whose names I didn't record, but they were good.
4. The hotel is often fully occupied, and as Starwood Preferred Guest you have a chance of being upgraded to a Park View Room, really nice. As a Platinum SPG member, the access to the hotel's Executive Lounge on the 21st floor provides panoramic views, a hot and cold variety of breakfast fare, afternoons offerings (especially on weekends) and evenings there's enough variety in the appetizers to have it be a full meal + wine and other beverages. Oysters, meats, sushi, quiche, quality veggies, noodle fare, a big selection of desserts and more. It's definitely one of the best hotel lounges anywhere. One can also pay for access to the lounge; the rate varies. (Full disclosure - I paid for my room and upgrade and it was worth it, there is no comp for my written recommendation)
5. Much of my life I've scrimped from staying at good hotels, but my once or twice a year treat is to have an upgraded room at the SOTP. Using points or cash for an upgrade, if possible, is a worthwhile indulgence. Sometimes Terrace Suites are available for an additional fee, with a door or two doors to a terrace overlooking the park, St. Mary's cathedral and city.
6. Spa is pretty good, the swimming pool has a glass ceiling - float on your back and enjoy the view of the towering buildings close by. (Signage could be a little better at the spa - the Men's locker room could be more clearly marked from the Women's.) Cannot vouch for the restaurants as there are many offerings very close by.
7. Often in travel industry these days there are little cutbacks in service or facilities to gain a little extra revenue. Am an extensive traveler, Platinum for life with Starwood, Gold with Marriott and notice this hotel maintains its high standards overall. It strives to be one of the best hotels in Sydney and succeeds. Knowing some of the five star hotels in Sydney from my trips (and those of our tour members) from over three decades of travel, I believe the SOTP provides good value and comfort. Rooms are not austere or cold looking like some hotels I know. Beds are comfortable, sheets and towels of high quality. The bathrooms are spacious, marble lined, with separate tub and shower.
A few detractions from my most recent trip:
1. T-w-i-c-e when items were retrieved from my room for laundry or pressing, the door was not closed all the way. In fairness to the hotel, I should have reported, but didn't.
2. It's understandable that preferred rooms are unavailable until mid or even late afternoon. The hotel could have kept much better communication about updates with room availability.
3. The SOTP does retain a personal touch, though it is a large popular hotel. Sometimes it took more than five or six rings before the switchboard operator would answer the phone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a warm Australian welcome at the five-star Sheraton on the Park. Located directly opposite Hyde Park, the tree-lined oasis in the heart of Sydney, our hotel is a great destination to connect with friends, family, and colleagues. From the moment you walk through our grand entrance, you will enjoy all that our Sydney hotel has to offer. SPG Members receive complimentary in room internet when booking direct. Book direct today ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Starwood APAC, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelbag, Odigeo, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sheraton on the Park, Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton On The Park, Sydney Hotel Sydney
- Sheraton Hotel Sydney
- Sheraton Sydney
- Sydney Sheraton