“Very comfortable, best location for shopping”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #33 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We spent two nights here in a standard room with an excellent rate on booking.com. The rooms 40m2 so larger than average. Very comfortable, love the white shutters and oversized bathroom. Enjoyed breakfast at the Bambini trust a few doors away from the hotel. Enjoyed the outside bar overlooking the park and the swimming pool on the top floor, including the view! Sheraton on the park is perfect to explore the shops and across the park, the museum. I would definitely stay here again when I am next in Sydney.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear sandgroperdownunder
I appreciate the time you have taken to post such a great review of your recent stay at the Sheraton on the Park. Our rooms are certainly the largest you will find in Sydney CBD hotels with such big bathrooms as well. I’m pleased you also had the opportunity to try out our Conservatory Bar and Rooftop Pool with breathtaking views of Hyde Park, St Mary’s Cathedral and Middle Harbour. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed for one night in a King room - upgraded by the lovely lady at checkin to a room with a great view of the park and city - St Mary's cathedral on my skyline. Had a bubble bath - just couldn't resist in the large black marble bathroom, enjoyed some tv on the king size bed and choice of pillows. Next morning the buffet brekafst at Feast was devine - had a set near the window overlooking the park. Fabulous range of fresh food - I was tempted to have a chocolate waffle cone after my hot breakfast but resisted and had a butttermilk pancake with whipped cream and berries instead! Booked direct through the hotel website with a play park and stay deal which was cheaper than many hotels on the wotif etc websites. It was a Monday night - so may not be ablet o afford the same on a weeknd.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Mrsmex
Sounds like you had a magnificent night and treated yourself. I’m pleased we were able to create these magnificent memories for you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a longer stay in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our family have just enjoyed the most wonderful 8 night stay at the Sheraton on the Park and I am never disappointed with the quality of the service provided by this property. The location is fantastic being opposite beautiful Hyde Park, across the road from David Jones and the gorgeous Westfield complex and serviced by railway stations and many bus services making it convenient to all directions to the city. If you want to see the water you can walk north for 10 minutes and you are at the Quay. This trip was for a wedding and we had many members of the family staying for the weekend and all had the same opinion of how fabulous the service, the food, the executive lounge and the overall feel of the place is. We had several group events at Feast from dinners to breakfasts to lunches and I would like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to Sven who assisted with our reservations ensuring that our tables were just right and to executive chef David who constantly provided delicious meals of very high quality each time. Both went over and beyond to make sure our group had the best every time! Brian in the rooms division is a delight to deal with and I know how confusing changes and requests get and everything worked like a charm! Being a platinum member I was fortunate to receive an upgrade to an executive suite and all other benefits were giving with total recognition of my status. This is something which I appreciate greatly as I have often checked in to hotels and only when I ask do I receive the Platinum benefits - well done to the front desk staff for being on the ball with this.

I often read negative reviews first when I am looking at trip advisor and I am often shocked to see people complain about waiting for a room. I know its not convenient to have to wait until 3pm when you have had an overnight international flight however - that is the check in time and I don't know if travelers realize how long it takes to check a guest out and turn the room around. We arrived at 8am and had to wait until midday - to me this was a bonus - we actually were given our keys 3 hours prior to the check in time. Maybe my glass is half full and not half empty!

To the GM of this hotel - congratulations for managing such a great team, from F & B, rooms, front desk, maintenance, housekeeping, bell and door area - your team are well trained, respectful to their guests and extremely helpful. We will return time and time again - this is our home away from home when we visit Sydney!

Room Tip: Work your loyalty programs - it pays to stay with one chain and gain status which will give you load...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Karen C
It’s an absolute pleasure to read your very thorough review and to be your “home away from home” at Sheraton on the Park, especially as you are a loyal member of Starwood Hotels as an SPG Platinum Member. I’m delighted our location was so convenient with everything on our doorstep for you all, and I will be sure to thank the F&B Associates whom ensured your experiences were so memorable along with Brian our Reservations Manager. I appreciate your understanding with our check in time and I’m pleased we were able to accommodate you earlier. Once again, thank you for your very kind words and we look forward to being of continued service to you all in the future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel for the 2014 New Year's Celebrations. Sheraton on the Park Sydney is right in the middle of Sydney where the Hyde Park, Opera House, Harbour Bridge, St Mary's Cathedral, etc. and most of the best places to shop and eat are just walking distance.
The staff are helpful and elevators going to the rooms are secured electronically.
WiFi and breakfast are good.

Room Tip: Having lounge access is an advantage and could be cheaper by not booking without it.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Joel D
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park on such a busy and wonderful time in Sydney and for your wonderful feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when your travels return you our shores.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

When I checked into the hotel on my first day of arrival, I was to told that the rooms are not ready. I requested to have 2 rooms on the same floor but was told that I have to wait for an hour. When I came back after lunch, I was told again to wait indefinitely and after 4 hours of waiting with 2 old folks and an infant, I was given 2 rooms on separated floors which posed a lot in inconvenience to us. I expressed my dismay n immediate displeasure but was not given any service recovery at all. When I checked out on the fourth day, I was told that the hotel was apologetic n will give me a free upgrade if I ever return again. What kind of service is this???!!! If the hotel is truly sincere in giving this upgrade, shouldn't it be done on the first day?
I was extremely upset with this and vowed never to patron any Starwood hotel again as their front desk service is not genuinely concern of their guest's welfare. Just putting a fake image and not worth paying that price for luxury hotel stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Jasray
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Jasray,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment in your room allocation and the inconvenience you had experienced. We always endeavour to ensure our guests requests are met however with a hotel always experiencing very high occupancy this is often difficult to achieve as it was on this occasion. Once again, our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Write opposite the Hyde park, beautifully located and close to a lot of eating options within walking distance. Staff and service is good. Rooms are well equipped with all modern day luxuries. Choice of TV programs could be better.

1  Thank gaurshar

Dear Gaurav S
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Attributes of Sydney's Sheraton on the Park:

1. Location - overlooking Hyde Park, the hotel is centrally located, close to bus, train stops, stores, museums, lots of dining choices within a ten minute walk that are not in the touristy Circular Quay area, where many other hotels are located.
2. Very good value for a four star hotel. Check out special offerings on rates. Often there are rooms available at rates of three star hotels.
3. For a large hotel, there can be surprising personalized service. Some of the employees have been there for over 15 years. Veteran employees have years of providing service and have a sense of old-fashioned hospitality. Bill Lepentis has been greeting guests at the front door since the hotel opened about 20 years ago. With a good memory he in a quiet way provides follow through with prompt luggage handling before checking in and to in room delivery. All the front door employees are professional, helpful. Our group of travelers to Papua New Guinea have received above and beyond gracious good service from Christian Alvarez, concierge, who quickly senses what one's preferences are and follows up expertly. He has saved us money from thinking outside of the box for quality touring and dining alternatives at a lower price. Amir Mazandarani has been helpful and gracious in behind the scenes organization of our room needs. Diow in housekeeping remembers preferences from previous visits and provides a warm welcome. The front desk and concierge staff seem sincere in providing good service, one feels comfortable knowing that this hotel is the right choice for a Sydney centrally located hotel. There were other employees whose names I didn't record, but they were good.
4. The hotel is often fully occupied, and as Starwood Preferred Guest you have a chance of being upgraded to a Park View Room, really nice. As a Platinum SPG member, the access to the hotel's Executive Lounge on the 21st floor provides panoramic views, a hot and cold variety of breakfast fare, afternoons offerings (especially on weekends) and evenings there's enough variety in the appetizers to have it be a full meal + wine and other beverages. Oysters, meats, sushi, quiche, quality veggies, noodle fare, a big selection of desserts and more. It's definitely one of the best hotel lounges anywhere. One can also pay for access to the lounge; the rate varies. (Full disclosure - I paid for my room and upgrade and it was worth it, there is no comp for my written recommendation)
5. Much of my life I've scrimped from staying at good hotels, but my once or twice a year treat is to have an upgraded room at the SOTP. Using points or cash for an upgrade, if possible, is a worthwhile indulgence. Sometimes Terrace Suites are available for an additional fee, with a door or two doors to a terrace overlooking the park, St. Mary's cathedral and city.
6. Spa is pretty good, the swimming pool has a glass ceiling - float on your back and enjoy the view of the towering buildings close by. (Signage could be a little better at the spa - the Men's locker room could be more clearly marked from the Women's.) Cannot vouch for the restaurants as there are many offerings very close by.
7. Often in travel industry these days there are little cutbacks in service or facilities to gain a little extra revenue. Am an extensive traveler, Platinum for life with Starwood, Gold with Marriott and notice this hotel maintains its high standards overall. It strives to be one of the best hotels in Sydney and succeeds. Knowing some of the five star hotels in Sydney from my trips (and those of our tour members) from over three decades of travel, I believe the SOTP provides good value and comfort. Rooms are not austere or cold looking like some hotels I know. Beds are comfortable, sheets and towels of high quality. The bathrooms are spacious, marble lined, with separate tub and shower.

A few detractions from my most recent trip:

1. T-w-i-c-e when items were retrieved from my room for laundry or pressing, the door was not closed all the way. In fairness to the hotel, I should have reported, but didn't.
2. It's understandable that preferred rooms are unavailable until mid or even late afternoon. The hotel could have kept much better communication about updates with room availability.
3. The SOTP does retain a personal touch, though it is a large popular hotel. Sometimes it took more than five or six rings before the switchboard operator would answer the phone.

Room Tip: Go ahead if you can afford it, buy access to the Executive Lounge or enjoy a Park View room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear GreginSantaBarbara
I truly appreciate the time you have taken to post such a thorough review on Tripadvisor of your stay at the Sheraton on the Park and for your 5 Star Rating! I would like to address all the points raised as you had so kindly taken the time to provide your feedback:
1.Our location is indeed one of the main reasons why so many people choose to stay with us
2.Sheraton on the Park is a 5 Star Hotel and our prices are in line with all other 5 Star properties as we endeavour to not only match but exceed our offerings
3.We are certainly honoured to have such great outstanding associate represent our hotel. Rest assured, I have personally taken the time to convey your thanks and praise to Bill, Christian, Amir, Diow and all the associates at our Front Desk and Concierge departments
4.I am pleased to advise that our hotel has been experiencing very high occupancy and our offerings for our valued Starwood Preferred Guests are very popular in comparison to many Award Programs. Our Sheraton Club Lounge is recognised as Sydney’s Premier Executive Lounge with absolutely amazing views of Sydney, so I am delighted you also had the opportunity to experience this
5.Our Specialty Suites are a great choice for guests wanting that little bit of an extra treat
6.Our rooftop Pool and Health Club provide an expansive view of Hyde Park, St Mary’s Cathedral and Middle Harbour. I have taken your feedback on board regarding the signage in the Locker Rooms, thankyou
7.I note you are an extensive traveller and value your feedback significantly and am honoured and very thankful for your wonderful feedback and kind words regarding our Hotel. Apologies for the detractions you encountered which I will be sure to address immediately