“My second stay and I'm sorry to say I'm still not a fan”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #30 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Hong Kong
“My second stay and I'm sorry to say I'm still not a fan”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Summary: A hotel in a central location that is let down by patchy service, dated facilities and a poor restaurant

Pros: Location, location and large rooms

Cons: The (only) restaurant, dated in-room facilities, can be noisy

I arrived around 7:30pm at the hotel to find the only restaurant was serving either an AUD85 buffet or a la carte which resembled a kids menu or pub food; all pizzas, burgers and the like. Not really the light meal I was hoping for. (I went next door to a lovely wine bar instead.)

I have stayed at this hotel before, nearly 3 years ago to the day and at that time I was similarly underwhelmed (also giving three stars).

This was a work function and we were situate in the hotel for three days. The saving grace (given I am Starwood Gold Member) was the Lounge on the top floor. I also got free internet usage; my colleagues had to pay.

This hotel is in such a lovely part of town, so central, I really want to like it. But there is very little (absent the location) to endear it to me. Charging for freshly brewed coffee in the morning really is a gripe - I understand the time it takes but at least provide decent coffee as an alternative: we are well past the days where the coffee being served up is acceptable.

The food was average and the service at the restaurant was hurried, brusque (not brisk) and sometimes simply disappointing.

I am clearly spoilt living and travelling in Asia, and this hotel reminds me how superior the experience usually is in HK, Singapore, Bangkok or Tokyo.

This hotel really must try harder.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Tobeconfirmed,
Please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. It does surprise me to read your review as Sheraton on the Park has won so many awards including most recently the Metropolitan Brassiere/Café of the Year at the 2014 Tourism Accommodation Australia Awards for Excellence and the Starwood Asia Pacific Hotel Of The Year 2013 however I appreciate your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back should you wish to return to the Sheraton on the Park.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

One thing about Sydney CBD is that their transit is well done, they have slow trains, but it covers majority of the city, and their recent implementation of the Opal card (RFID, tap on and off) makes things much better.

For those who don’t know, Sydney trains run on double deckers with significant amount of seating space. In comparison to the MTR (Hong Kong), which has a lot of standing space. It is a huge difference. The Sheraton on the Park is conveniently placed near the St. James station, about a 3 minute walk.

A lot of people have mentioned that this particular Starwood property has the big bang for the buck when compared to other properties in Sydney. I agree, paying only 800 AUD for 3 nights. The Four Seasons and Shangri-La here seem to be needing renovation, and service seem to be lacking when compared to Four Seasons and Shangri-La standards.

I’ve received no upgrades upon check-in, however, I was allowed to check-in at 9AM instead of the standard 3PM to freshen up. That is a huge plus and I would have cared for that more than the upgrade itself. Thank you Sheraton on the Park Sydney!

The room was huge, well equipped, and up to Sheraton standards. The bell boy brought up my luggage as soon as he saw me coming up the stairs.

For those who love shopping, it is a less than 5 minute walk from the hotel to Westfield Sydney.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear sudosandwich,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park on your trip Down Under. Sounds like you got a great deal for a 3 nights stay with us and the added bonus of an early check in. I'm pleased you enjoyed your guest room and that our associates provided the great service we are known to deliver here at the Sheraton on the Park.
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I'm from the US but I have had the pleasure of going to Australia several times. You're such a wonderful country in Sydney such a beautiful and interesting city city. This hotel is first grade first class right across the street from Hyde Park close and convenient to everything you could want to do in Sydney. The beds are so comfortable you will never want to leave them the room decor is very nice and the hotel staff service is first rate . This is where we were quest to stay each time we go back to Sydney

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mike b
Dear mike b,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park and for your very kind words. Sydney is certainly a very popular destination for our American travellers so im delighted our City swept you off your feet and we hope to welcome you back Down Under in the near future!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had a day delegate for half a day this week and to say that it was a seamless pleasurable experience would be an absolute lie.

When we arrived for breakfast, there was a table set aside for our group but we were then moved abruptly and told that the table was booked for someone else. Then we were sat at a table where someone else was sitting and she was told to move and because there weren't enough tables, the waiter then told the other guest to move so he could move the table together to make up one table for us.

The table was then missing cutlery etc and the lady that was moved just left (she was fuming).

The food was less than the standard that we expected and although the waitress came and delivered coffee orders, they did take forever and the tea cups that were provided weren't clean.

Finally, with all the drama in moving us and two other customers, the table that was there wasn't being used by another group so we're all curious as to why such a fuss was made for what ?

Won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't book a day delegate at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Adam L
Dear Adam L,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the less than perfect experience during breakfast service of which I have forwarded your feedback to our Management Team for review and improvement. I appreciate you letting us know and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back should you wish to return to the Sheraton on the Park.
welling
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as the Expedia offer was really good a few months back when we booked. On arrival it's stunning but scratch beneath the surface and it's just a money making venture at every turn ...
The room was huge, bed amazing (now plan to buy a hybrid mattress for home it was so good) and bathroom luxurious. However if you fancy dipping into the minibar take a mortgage offer first ... As for internet access ... More why-Fi than wi-Fi!!! First if you want access in your room you have to pay ridiculous high charges ($10 an hour!) that even broadband providers could not justify!!! If you want access in the lobby you have to queue at reception to get a code that runs out an hour after you log on regardless of if you are online for a minute or 2!!! I even met the head of IT one morning at reception and he suggested the codes and unhelpful access system was all to do with security !!! Not buying that personally.
Beyond expecting guests to pay $6 for a bag of crisps and $9 for a bottle of water in your room we didn't venture into the breakfast room for $42 brekkie but instead chose to eat in some amazing places in Sydney.
Our view was city side and ok ... The shutters were a bit damaged in our room and in case your in 1508 the taps on the bath are labelled the wrong way round so there is hot water if you choose the cold tap !!! Just a maintenance joke we presumed ... All in all great location if you grab a cheap deal but definitely not living up to its stars otherwise.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank suenhelen
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear suenhelen
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused with the several issues you had outlined during your stay at the Sheraton on the Park. All our prices are in line with all other 5 Star Hotels in Sydney CBD, as we endeavour to ensure we not only match but exceed the offerings of our competitors. Please note WIFI is at a charge of $5 an hour or $20 a day and complimentary WIFI codes are available from our Concierge desk, not only the Front Desk. I appreciate you informing us of the maintenance issues in your guest room, of which have now been rectified and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

2 night stay, hotel chosen for location, close to State Theatre. Staff exceptional, calm, quietly attentive, consistent from driveway, check in, greeting in lift, bar & wait staff. Seafood Buffett was extensive, refreshed frequently & fresh. Restaurant was full, some families for Christmas in July, short queues. Room very clean, toiletries mandarin & mint nice touch, walk in shower, separate full size tub, walk in dressing room & bathrobes, complimentary upgrade to corner suite. Block out screens for noise & light reduction could be operated from bedside table but not needed, room was quiet and we did not hear other guests in corridors. Well worth the money, great location, exceptional staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ruth68A
Sounds like you had a great stay at the Sheraton on the Park and I’m so delighted you left with such great memories of which we hope to welcome you back soon.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Paper walls!!! I could hear all what were the neighbours in the adjacent room were doing. Taking showers at 4am....

The rooms are big and ok but the staff is not very helpful. Long waiting lines. Slow service.

Therefore I wouldn't recommend it further.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank N F
Dear N F
Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing stay and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and make up for this less than perfect experience.