“Perfect location, great for lone travellers”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Perfect location, great for lone travellers”
Reviewed 23 May 2009

This was a kind of solo holiday with a bit of work thrown in. I needed to be central, and usually prefer to stay in smaller/boutique hotels. But I did a lot of digging around and decided I needed a hotel that was pretty central to everything, so I wouldnt be trekking around in less reputable parts of town, or more suburban areas, alone at night, etc. Always plenty of people around, taxis etc but without being stuck in some Business District.
This met my expectations - it is opposite the lovely leafy Hyde Park; across the park is the Art Gallery and then further along the gardens open out onto the coastline. I jogged every morning through the park, up to Lady Macquarie's Chair, along the seawall of the Botanic Gardens, up to the Opera House, around it and back through the Gardens themselves. What a way to start the day!
On the day it rained, I used the very nice hotel gym on the 22nd floor, where you can stand on the balcony and take in the view while you have your well-earned post-workout drink...
I arrived early in the mornign and the staff were great, giving me access to the health suite to have a shower, etc and stored my bags for me. When I returned much later that afternoon my bags were in my room. The room was great- exactly as you would expect from a large reputable 'chain' hotel in this part of the world. I travel a lot in Asia and this was on a par with a decent similar hotel in HKG or SIN. Large room with all the usuals - nice llarge comfy bed, desk, etc. Decent walk-in wardrobe. Lovely big bathroom with separate walk-in shower and lots of space. Great space to call home for 6 days. I got a fab deal - would never have stayed there otherwise. 3 nights for price of 2. So my 6 night stay came in really reasonable. I didnt eat in the hotel - I found Sydney to offer a fantastic, diverse selection of great food places and very inexpensive to eat out. Drinks in the hotel bar were quite expensive, but sure, arent they all?
Bambini Wine bar right next to the hotel - turn riight as you leave the foyer - is a great little place to hang out if you want to get out of the hotel but you dont want to venture too far. Lovely selectoin of wine and great vibe. Not sure it was at all cheaper than the hotel, but the environment/surroundings very nice indeed!
Similarly, I would skip out the back door from the lobby to get my coffee and muffin the morning and bring it back to do my emails. Loads of small independent coffee shops at the base of the tower blocks in the street behind.
Like all the best hotels, the wifi connection in the main lobby and bar areas of the hotel was free, so I was variously joined of an evening by fellow travellers who've also figured out that a short trip in the lift with their laptop can save them a small fortune. Why do hotels continue to insist on charging for in-room wifi?!
Staff at the concierge, etc were also very helpful and friendly.
I didnt really use any other facilities - although, word of warning - a friend from out of town left their car parked in the hotel garage overnight - from about 11pm til about 8am and they tired to charge him about $100. He declined to do so, obviously! Best to query it....
Sydney itself - what can i say? As a single travelling female, I felt pretty safe most of the time, except in the Kings Cross area, etc where I felt a little nervous when alone, but fine when with colleagues. Rest of the time - down near the harbour and wandering around the various areas of town, I felt very comfortable. I loved The Rocks. Dont forget the fab little markets that are on around town (great locations for purchasing unqiue momentoes) are only there on sat and sun - so plan your time accordingly!
And get on some ferries and get out further afield - forget the touristy ones. Im sure they're great, but I used the network of 'commuter' ferries to get around and visit Manly etc. Great way to see the city.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank S_G.UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Beautiful hotel in central location. Old school hospitality.
Breakfast is fabulous buffet so try and get a rate that includes full breakfast.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Booked a special for Sydney half marathon -arrived early and were upgraded to park view instead of city, also offered late check out time of our choice. Room large spacious and roll away bed came later for son. Great views over park and from the 22nd floor leisure centre. Great location for city shopping, Hyde Part, Art Gallery etc. 15mins to Quay. Beds good, bathroom a little tired and sliding doors are past used by date. Still a great hotel in the centre of town. Room service expensive - duck across the road to David Jones food hall and feast on your desires! Couldn't fault any staff.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Denver
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I stayed here last month for a conference for four nights. I'm a SPG member so I had a great room on the 17th floor, which was very spacious and facing the park. My sister and I LOVED the comfortable beds, and they helped us get over jetlag. The room and bathroom were clean. The digital safe in the closet didn't work when we got there, but the hotel replaced it immediately when it couldn't be fixed, and we used it throughout our stay. There's high speed internet for a fee, but bring your own wire. My one gripe about the room was the bathroom doors. They slide together to shut, but they don't close completely--leaving a half inch open gap. There's a business center (a few computers with a b/w printer), but I needed some presentations printed in color ASAP. I talked to Cameron (manager on duty) and he printed them for me for a fee. Staffs were nice to us and answered all my questions. The hotel is in a great location and most attractions are walking distance. We walked to Darling Harbour in 10-15 minutes, and the Sydney Opera House wasn't too far either.

Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 1 May 2009

It was my first time to Sydney, and this hotel was great. It was an easy walk to some of the tourist sites, and I really enjoyed jogging in the park in the morning. I'd stay here again next time I'm in Sydney.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Stayed at the Sheraton on the Park for a long weekend away without the kids. This was the perfect hotel for us with beautiful, spacious, quiet and luxurious rooms in a superb location in the heart of Sydney. Walk to Darling Harbour or Circular Quay, beautiful Hyde Park across the road and shopping just around the corner. We got a deal off their own website ( stay 3/ pay 2 ) so all up this hotel was hard to fault. Would definitely use again!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
perth, australia
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Terrific location and room and would stay here again when I go to Sydney, but they need to work on the service a bit, it wasn't what I would have expected from a Sheraton. The hotel is opposite Hyde Park and I walked all over the place, it is wonderfully central. My room was lovely and the bathroom was huge. I initially scoffed at the Sheraton blurb about their special 'sweetsleeper bed' but then was smitten with the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The electric blinds were also great. On the downside the service was not great. I got sent away by a surly reception staffer when I arrived as the room wasn't ready . After a couple of hours I got into my room but then my bags had vanished and there was no-one answering the reception or service desk phones for a considerable time. After I had got through I had to ring back again as my bags still didn't arrive. It wasn't really anything major but there is just a lack of attention to service. That being said, I loved the room and location and the price was really reasonable so would defintely go back. Avoid room service too - they put a delivery charge on top of the already high prices - $15 all up for a $1 yoghurt is a bit ridiculous

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo