“Fun and interesting”

and up
Sydney Small-Group Walking Tour with Local Historian
Ranked #26 of 474 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: This Sydney landmark has housed convicts and orphans, as well as ill, impoverished women.
St. Ives, Australia
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Fun and interesting”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

A hidden gem if you are interested in archaeology and Australian settlement history. My daughter 7y loved the dress up clothes and the clever rat activity sheet. I liked the women's section and all the special knick knacks.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Couldn't find it at first!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We walked for a good hour and a half on the first day trying to find it, to no avail. Most of the maps have the barracks where the conservatory of music is, when in fact, it is down near the hospital! Anyway, on the second day (and after doing some more searching) we finally found it. We didn't go inside, we just wandered around outside... It is pretty much just a room with concrete and little posters explaining what used to be there...
We rocked up at about 9am (as on the website it says it opens @ 8am). The actual barracks doesn't open until 10am but the cafe is open @ 8am. I am sure this was my error, not theirs.
As i said, we didn't end up going in, as we instead walked up the road and went into the Australian Museum as we were so early.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank AmyCorrigan
London, England, United Kingdom
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“A great visit..”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Well..i had to visit...apart from London guiding...this is where some of the POMS were brought, after transportation...so it was good to see, being honest...i would certainly recommend..although the only thing i hated was visiting such places & they asked whether i lived in the city. I obviously don't so had to pay..but in London - nobody pays..but i pay my london rates..grrrr!!! see my photos...!!! This is their history & great to see!!

Visited April 2014
Stewart Island, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Informative Museum.”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Hyde Park Barracks Museum features displays presented in layers of time (floor by floor.) The interpretation is excellent - the way the stories are told brings history to life in a meaningful way. It's point of difference is that it is contained in the original building that the stories are about. The story told of the convicts gives an important perspective on Sydney's history.

Visited May 2014
Edinburgh
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Nearly missed this”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

For some reason I never found this on my holiday search before I left. I passed it while wandering around Sydney and came back later. I'm so glad I did, it's a great little museum. Before even going in, I loved the Irish Famine Memorial scupture. In fact, much of the architedcture in this area deserves a visit. It was a great building diviided into different periods and I loved the finds from archaelogical excavations. The best bit when I was there was during a school visit and the kids all lay down in a hammock each trying to decide if they would be comfortable. It made it so much easier for me to stretch out in a hammock for a while which was actually quite comfortable! If people weren't watching me I could have stayed longer. The down side was the cafe. I was so hot I wanted a cold beer (really unusual for me) before I went home but they wouldn't serve me without a full meal. I fitted this tour in before a 30+ hour journey home and I wasn't ready for a meal because that would be happening at the airport/on the plane/at the stopover/wherever I might be. I guess this might be something to do with licensing laws - but i only wanted a beer!

Visited April 2014