“A bit of a bargain!”

Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney
Ranked #16 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Smaller than the typical chain big city hotels and feels a bit classier - if that matters (somewhat wasted on a scruff like me!). Very polite, professional staff. Arriving at 7am from the airport, there was no room available straight away (fair enough, I had not paid for an early check-in after all) but I was offered use of the facilities in the gym (shower etc) to freshen up which was all I actually needed before setting off for a day's sightseeing.
My room was the biggest I have had in any hotel, clean and very well-equipped (including the essential safe, tea and coffee making tray and ironing board!). This was the cheapest "City View" room on the eighth floor. (Incidentally, despite the "Lowest Price Guarantee" on the hotel's own website, there was no mention there of the 3 nights for the price of 2 deal I got from hotels.com.) I could see much of the Bridge, a shell or two of the Opera House and the Museum of Contemporary Art out the window (no balcony) beyond nearer and less distinguished buildings - not altogether a picturesque view but I would not have paid extra for one. How much time do you spend looking out of a window anyway, especially in the winter when it gets dark early?
The location is excellent: a very few minutes walk from the Circular Quay train, bus and (wonderful) ferry hub, the Opera House and (wonderful again) Royal Botanic Gardens. Easy walking distance to the Rocks, Harbour Bridge and even the City Centre along Macquarie Street.
I did not eat in the hotel (seldom do in any hotel unless breakfast is included in the price).
Overall, I think this is a very good hotel before taking price into account. For what I paid (and being used to UK hotel prices) it was an outstanding bargain.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank gurnall
TimothyBuckton, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We value your feedback and it will be passed onto the team. We hope to see you back at Sir Stamford Circular Quay.

Best Wishes

Timothy Buckton

Write a ReviewReviews (3,120)

Reviewed 22 September 2009

The best hotel I have ever stayed in. Gorgeous and classy with wonderful accommodating staff.
So close to all the main attractions (literally a block walk from the Opera House and Circular Quay).
I traveled with a young child who also loved it, especially the pool which was perfect for leasure at only 1m depth. Great for watching her swim without being to stressed about her in their alone.
Such great value for money also. I will definitely never stay anywhere else again when in Sydney.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
TimothyBuckton, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The Sir Stamford at Circular Quay.

We are receiving feedback on a daily basis that we are ensuring any issues are resolved and we improve at all times.

Reviewed 21 September 2009

We originally looked at all the corporate brand hotels in Sydney, but found this on TripAdvisor and decided to try it based on the ratings and reviews. The location was absolutely perfect for us.

We arrived on a long flight to Sydney from the U.S. and it was before check-in time, so we figured we might have to wait. They told us the room wasn't ready yet, but the front desk was very nice and we mentioned that it was our honeymoon so they said they would get the room ready as soon as possible. We hopped on a ferry over to Manly Beach for a few hours and came back to a surprise upgrade to a massive suite with 2 bathrooms and a doorbell in case you don't hear a knock on the door from the other room!

It was a nice surprise, and all of the staff made us feel very welcome. As I mentioned, the location was really ideal because we could walk right down to the pier and the Opera House. We had dinner reservations at Aria Restaurant which is also right there on MacQuarie St, so it was really convenient. We also walked around the Royal Botanic Gardens.

The only time we really needed to take a cab was when we wanted to go to Surry Hills to check out some restaurants there.

Overall, this hotel is way better than any downtown, and we got a much better deal than paying for one of the corporate hotels in the same area.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 September 2009

We arrived inthe early morning after an all-night flight. The staff allowed us the use of the gym to shower and change and stored our bags until a room was available after checkouts. The hotel is one block from the circular quay, the heart of the city, and a cafe (City Express) serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner 24 hours a day - perfect for the jet lagged. The location is as close as possible to the Opera House and Botanical Gardens as well, and an easy walk to the Rocks area of the city. The ferry will take you to the zoo and to the aquarium. We also walked to museums and other restaurants, never having to use a taxi or train. Even better than the location, which could not be beat, was the service. The staff were consistently friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank John_Rodney_43

Reviewed 14 September 2009

We found this hotel to be very plush and luxurious. The rooms were absolutely beautiful and the staff exceptional. It was very clean and the furnishings were gorgeous. The room was also quiet and the bathroom was really lovely.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quality establishment with staff that actually care about their guests needs.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ElvisPriscilla87

Reviewed 13 September 2009

I stayed at the Sir Stamford in May of 2009 for my last few days before returning to the states. I checked in at around 8p.m. and was immediately taken care of, concierge even went to the pharmacy and filled a prescription for me.

Even if I hadn't been a student and spent most of my travel time in Hostels/backpacking I am use to nice hotels and have stayed in many throughout the world, this ranks high amongst them.

in addition to providing excellent ideas for things close by while it was raining. I have been to Sydney many times and Sir Stamford is simply one of the best hotels in Sydney.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank millie-marie

Reviewed 10 September 2009

I expect a five star luxury hotel to go above and beyond, but we didn't even get average. We booked the "Jet Lag Recovery Package" which according to the Sir Stamford website, "High Priority early check in (6:00 am)" and "High Priority late check out (6:00 pm)" and "Upgrade to the next room type." "Terms and conditions: The package is subject to availability."

Our flight from Los Angeles landed at 6:10 am so we thought this package was perfect and my boyfriend called to make sure a room was available because I made a big fuss about wanting a shower after 22 hours of flying as soon as we got to the hotel. Upon check in at the desk, the gentleman (who looked barely 18) said our room would not be ready until 3:00 p.m. He was not aware of the "Jet Lag Recovery Package" on the website. He did not even try to look it up. He simply printed off a piece of paper and handed it to us to sign and said he would hold our luggage until 3:00 p.m. Where are we suppose to go at 6:00 in the morning? Where is this "high priority" that was mentioned on the website? When we insisted that such a package exists, he then asked us whether the website said it was a guarantee. We said we called about availability. He then said the only way to guarantee a room was to check in the night before to guarantee a room in the morning? Please explain to me how that sentence has any logic? So in order to get a room for the day that we want, we have to check in the day before? Can you imagine if all the hotels in all the world had such a policy? It doesn't make any sense, at least to anyone with a brain.

When his colleague who was helping another guest check out overheard him speaking to us, he simply said do what you have to do to get them a room. Even the guest that was checking out offered us his room and said it can't possibly take that long to clean it since he only slept in it for one night. But thankfully, the other colleague was now able to assist us. He got on his computer and switched a few rooms around offered us a room on the second floor. His effort to get a us room was the type of service I had expected in the beginning.

The room was nice and clean. The bathroom was gorgeous with a tub and separate shower and double sink vanity. There was also a separate water closet which I have never seen. The marble tiles in the bathroom were beautiful but made my feet cold from walking around barefoot. I didn't discover the slippers until too late. I did find the nice bathrobe. There were not enough hooks for the bath towels. Only one hook on the back of the door. There was a rod by the tub but that was too far to reach when getting out of the separate shower across the room.

We did not have a nice view of the harbour or the gardens, just the back of another building. The room was quiet and still lovely nonetheless. We liked the fact that there were two wine glasses by the ice bucket.

Speaking of wine, as a surprise, I ordered a gourmet gift basket and bottle of wine to be delivered to the hotel upon our arrival. When it did not arrive by the second day, I finally had to go to the front desk with my boyfriend to inquire about it. They did not know anything about it. Someone even checked a log book for deliveries but said they have no record of it. But she kindly offered to call the company for me. Disappointed that my surprise was ruined, we went back up to our room. Within a few minutes, a hotel staffer brought up the package and said they found it in the concierge room. I was very disappointed that it was not delivered and placed in our room ahead of time and that if I had not asked about it, it never would have been delivered. It makes me distrustful that if anyone needed anything important delivered to the hotel, that it would never make it to the person in a timely manner, if at all.

I was also not impressed with the lack of a doorman. Every time when we arrived back at the hotel, there was no one to greet us whether it was in the morning or the evening. We always had to walk around the hotel lobby looking for a valet to hand the car keys off. I am used to someone walking straight up to our car as we drive up and open the door for me but this never happened at Sir Stamford. I attribute this to the "smallness" of the hotel which was the very reason that I chose Sir Stamford in the first place. I thought it would be nice to stay at a smaller, older, and charming hotel instead of a larger, modern chain hotel. I really thought the service would be more "intimate."

I do have to say that when I called room service just once to get two forks so we could have dessert and drink our wine in the room, not even before I hung up the phone, someone was at the door with two forks. That was the fastest room service ever in any hotel that I have experienced!

I really didn't think the hotel staff went above and beyond to provide a five star quality stay. There were many little things that they could have done immediately such as the check in process and the delivery of the wine that would have made our stay there wonderful. Small gestures really do count but unfortunately, we did not experience any of that.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple