“Chilled out in a great place”

Astral Tower and Residences
Ranked #49 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 12 June 2011

This hotel is GREAT. The date I stayed is incorrect but I did stay there for a week or some years ago. Service, staff, room, cleanliness - all great. Thank you Star City

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed 25 May 2011

First time in sydney, meeting friend with her parents on day 2, so had a single room first night, family suite for a week then twin for few days. all rooms fab. fantastic food, service, casino, little shop, great spa. so close to darling harbour ferry. one tip- ask for room near lift as walk to rooms can be far. reception very knowledgeable and understanding. they can also cash your trav.chq, make phone calls on your behalf, etc. true 5* service at 3* cost.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank peanut012
Reviewed 3 May 2011

This is my first review of star city, my family and I have been staying here a couple of times a year for 6 years. And saying that I have no complaints. We keep returning to this hotel, because it is resort style and very child friendly. The main activity we do at the hotel is use the pool, first of all the pool is on a rooftop with breathtaking views of Sydney Harbour, the pool is quite large with 2 hot tubs, and even on its bussiest days there is room for everyone, the staff here at the pool are the friendliest hotel staff I have ever come across and this has not changed in our 6 years of visits. The rooms are kept very clean, this visit (April) we stayed in an apartment for a week, It was so nice to have our own rooms with the use of a kitchen and laundry, I highly recommend this for families. The hotel is under a bit of renovations right now, but this has not stopped the great service. We cannot wait for the new reasturants to open to give visitors more variety as there are only 3 reasturants available on the property now. But Darling Harbour is not a far walk if you want to eat out. We live an hour and a half's drive out of Sydney, but we always come here if we need a break and are not travelling overseas as it feels very first class and as far as im concerned the only hotel in Sydney which feels like a resort. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for r & r in Sydney

Room Tip: call reservations, they have great deals!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2011

This is a good hotel for those wanting to go to the Casino downstairs, darling harbour or the local area (Fishmarkets etc). It has reasonably sized rooms which are comfortable with good views of Sydney. However, the service is extremely mediocre! You will all think I am exaggerating here, but it took over 1 hour for my bags to arrive in my room! Nup, no hyperbole here at all. I checked in at 12:45, my bags arrived just before 2pm. The reason was apparently "we are short staffed", which I usually translate to "we have bad managers". I didn't use the internet but I think this is another one of those ridiculous hotels which charge for internet usage- why are they not charging for water and electricity usage as well? Perhaps an oxygen charge too. Internet is standard now guys, wake up.

Its a convenient place if you need to be in this area of Sydney, but don't expect service here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in a harbour view room when I travelled to Sydney for work. Harbour view was nice but it had limited visibility of the Harbour bridge. So, I don't think it was worth the extra pay. The room was up to date and had a modern and elegant theme throughout. The variety of pillows and a soft bed was a bonus. Huge LCD TV without Foxtel channels was a bit dissapointing. The bathroom was very small. The hotel lifts were slow and had to wait for a while to get on one. The information pamphlets provided in the room was inadequate. Would have loved to see at least a map showing where the hotel is located. But thanks to my GPS. The location was nice and close to my work and Darling Harbour was ony 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Stayed at this hotel with my partner for approx. 7-8 nights. The hotel wasn't bad, but honestly it was a bit of a rip-off. We stayed in their 1-bedroom suite at the end of the corridor.

Pros:
Suite was well designed, you can change the color of the light behind the bed, big televisions, great view of the skyline, buffet was delicious, housekeeping were friendly, staff in general were nice.

Cons:
They charge $5 for ice (no ice machines!), they nickle and dime you for everything, it was a bit of a walk if you want to head down to circular quay (although you can catch the monorail with somewhat of ease), the suites at the end of the corridor did not correspond with the hotel at all (seems like a 3 star trying too hard to be a 5 star), lots of construction that really took away from the pool area. Some of the bouncers at the entrance of the casino were very rude (I was accused of appearing drunk/high when I didn't have a drink all day & don't use drugs! Really quite rude.)

Really-Big Con:
Beware, the concierge sent us to the wrong place, she obviously was not very well trained & didn't know what the hell she was doing. Also, internet access in the suite costs an astonishing $100 + per week! That is insane in my opinion, it should be offered complimentary with the amount of money they rip you off on the room rates (just my humble opinion). If you do stay here, I suggest going to a cafe in the shopping center at darling harbour (the one before you walk across the bridge with the bowling alley in it)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Staff were amazing. Extremely attentive and willing to I above and beyond. While not in the perfect location this means you can have a great view from the room that other more central hotels can't compete with. It is also less than a ten min walk to central Sydney. I stay in Sydney every week for work and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011