“Exceptional” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Langham, Sydney

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Langham, Sydney
Ranked #8 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Asnieres-sur-Seine, France
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

Very comfortable, quiet, nice view on the bay, luxurious and spacious rooms, we appreciated the old-fashioned style. Exceptional.
The pool is magnificent !

1 Thank tripping_machine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

Well I absolutely LOVED this place. Flawless check-in, directed by great Concierge, whose service throughout was excellent: chatty and friendly without ever being over-familiar. These guys are a credit to the hotel indeed!

The room was large and comfortable. I had a "city view" ie not that much view really, just an outlook onto the street that the hotel is on, but not bad to look at.

I don't usually eat in hotels but the breakfast here was great, and I took it 4 times. On the last day (Saturday) they were really over-booked and struggling a bit, but managed still carry it all off with good grace and humour.

I really liked the fitness centre: pretty well-equipped and no stinting at all on the robes etc. It DID shut very early (9pm) though, which I found inconvenient on a couple of nights.

Public areas quiet and beautifully-maintained. Reception perhaps not quite up to the Concierge standard but good enough.

My one bugbear is one that most people will dismiss as a trifle - but it's REALLY important to me and, despite everything, probably means I won't stay here again. And that is, that the internet connection - for which I paid AUD$105 for 6 days - was incredibly slow, and pretty unreliable. I bought this up on the 2nd or 3rd day with Reception but was told that it's a 3rd party service and the hotel had no control over it. Well, the hotel is happy enough to take the money; surely it has SOME responsibility?!

So, go and stay here. It's brilliant. But you probably won't see me there, because of my irrational need for fast and reliable internet!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Valiant2
rbruegger, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, 10 April 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us. I am extremely pleased to read that you loved the hotel so much and that you had such a wonderful stay.

I took note of your comments regarding the price of the internet. We are currently reviewing our internet pricing strategy and are anticipating introducing free wireless internet in the lobby in the near future. Currently we offer free internet in the business centre which many guests take advantage of.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

Stayed for 4 nights on a discounted promotional package, firstly let me say this a great hotel in a wonderful location and the staff were excellent. However we did have some hiccups that I would not have expected from a hotel of this reputation. The second night we were there the fire alarm in our room went off at 12.15am, apparently was a faulty alarm, it finally shut off after 10 minutes or so, now with our 8 year old wide awake, we then had two visits from hotel staff asking if we were smoking in the room! As a result of the alarm going off the aircon shut down (in middle of heat wave) no staff told us we had to re-set the aircon so spent a hot sweaty, sleepless night. Alarm was fixed the next day. On two occasions I had to catch cockroaches in the bathroom (different days) they sprayed the room both times but still they appeared to get thru.

While I accept these things happen in warm climates I think given the invonvenience to our stay (especially the alarm and aircon shut down) some gesture from the hotel would have been a smart move, maybe a complimentary breakfast, a modest bar tab ,a complimentary spa treatment for my wife- or something like that. Perhaps this did not happen as we had a discounted room charge, even so a bit dissapointing for a hotel of this supposed standing. I have never ad these problems when I stay in the Four Season in George St. Finally they added a valert parking charge to the bill (despite not having a car), tho' this was removed when queried.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Dear Sir/Madam

May I begin by extending my sincere apologies for the inconvenience to yourself and your family of the fire alarm in your room going off. For the safety of our guests and staff members we are of course, legally bound to fit all our guest rooms and public areas with fire protection. Once a fire emergency was indicated in your room it was, of course, the Night Manager's first priority to ensure that you and your family were safe, so he visited your room immediately. After thankfully discovering there was no fire emergency, it became necessary for us to ensure that cigarettes had not been lit up in the room which could have triggered off the alarm as that would have been the most obvious reason why the fire alarm might have gone off.

I agree with you completely that you should have been advised that a restart of the air conditioning was necessary and I would like to apologise for the omission of this information.

In regards to the presence of an insect in your room this difficulty occasionally arises due to one of the most well-liked aspects of our rooms. All of our rooms enable guests to open their windows, a very rare feature in hotels in Sydney and one which is greatly appreciated by many of our guests who enjoy fresh air. Rarely, this can allow a bug to enter the room but we are able to attend to this immediately as you experienced.

We are sorry for the inconveniences you experienced and I understand that as a token of goodwill, we have offered you an upgrade to one of our suites when we next have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

By the way, thank you for your compliment about the location of our hotel and our excellent staff at the beginning of your review. We put a lot of effort into staff training so this is much appreciated.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

I'm not often one to spend more than $500 a night on hotel accomadation however on this occasion my artner and I chose to spoil ourselves for a couple of nights. Whilst the hotel offered everything that you would expect from a venue of this quality the thing that most stood out was the service that was offered from staff made me feel like a king and didn't have any of the snobbery sub text that other hotels in the price range offer.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam C
Coolangatta, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

Located in a really pretty area of Sydney. Fantastic service, nice sized room with a view of the water, can open bedroom window for fresh air which is brilliant. Bathroom was very nice, huge shower head, bath, all spotless.

Walking distance to great pubs and the rocks. Will be back for sure.

1 Thank mantisalive
UAE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

Stayed in September using a last minute discount website which included a fruit platter and parking. Well...the fruit platter turned out to be 3 strawberries on a plate?! A little disappointing. Also the twin room we booked was quite small and plain.

I haven't stayed at the Observatory for something like 5 or 6 years. We had always stayed in an executive suite for special occasions which was very nice, but for a quick whip in and out accommodation for a concert we were attending, thought a city view twin would suffice.

Whilst there is nothing I can expressly pick on with the hotel, I have to say for the price paid, there are much better Sydney CBD options out there.

The staff were quite courteous particularly the doorman was very friendly and warmly welcomes everyone as they come in-remembering if you are returning which is a nice touch.

The bathroom is a good size, with good shower, however the bedroom is very plain, ordinary and almost dorm like.

We paid for a water view room for the second night and this was quite laughable. You had a glimpse of the harbour above a lot of very old heritage housing and dock with grimy balconies and washing etc. all over. I have stayed in many a hotel set amongst heritage properties and ordinarily this adds to the quirkiness and charm...but not in this instance due to the quality of the housing and aspect. There are many other hotels with a lovely harbour aspect which are far superior.

I had mentioned that the stay was for my birthday and thought perhaps that would be taken into account in terms of either a birthday card, special welcome or any other measure to make me feel a bit special, but nothing other than the bare minimum level of service was offered. We were even made to check in and out of our city view room according to scheduled time, to wait to check in and spend our second night in the alleged 'water' view room.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank bella_oes1
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to the hotel. I'm sorry to hear that the hotel did not live up to your expectations on this occasion, although I do appreciate the time that you have taken to praise our staff and doorman in your review.

The appearance and size of our deluxe rooms are the subject of many positive remarks by our guests as they are amongst the largest in Sydney, however if you have traditionally stayed only in suites in our hotel you would notice a difference in the two categories of rooms.

I was very sorry to read that you left with a lukewarm impression. I apologise most sincerely for any disappointment, and I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to The Observatory Hotel.

Please do contact me directly and allow me to look after you on your next visit to Sydney.

Yours sincerely,

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

The Observatory is an Orient-Express Hotel on Kent Street. It is a little out of the way in the Rocks area which is very hilly. We had to take a taxi everywhere. Some of the top hotels in Sydney are more centrally located and not so low rise as the Observatory and therefore have more dramatic views of the city and the harbour and the Opera House. The decor of the Observatory is beautiful and the restaurant/bar is first rate but expensive. The bathrooms are luxurious with everything one would need. The only flaw was a huge waterbug in our room one night running up the wall. The staff would have killed it (if my husband hadn't) as they are very accomodating and efficient about everything. We left two of our bags in storage at the hotel while we spent three nights up at the Great Barrier Reef. When we returned to the hotel, the stored bags were already in our suite when we arrived. The pictures of the rooms on the hotel website are accurate. We enjoyed our stay

2 Thank Tallandtired
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments about the decor of the hotel and the quality of our restaurant and bar. We do get many guests commenting on how good the food is in our in-house dining outlets, Galileo and Globe Brasserie & Bar, so we are pleased to hear this. We also appreciate your remarks on the service in the hotel and that your bags were already in your room when you arrived back from an excursion to the Great Barrier Reef. Guest satisfaction is very important to us.

In relation to your comment about the bug in your room, one of the great strengths of our hotel is that we have windows that open, a very rare feature in hotels in the Sydney CBD and one that is much appreciated by many of our guests. Unfortunately at times an open window or balcony door can also provide an entry point for tiny unwelcome visitors as appears to have occurred in your case! We clean our rooms to the highest standards but although we take every possible step to avoid the presence of any insects on the property, it is impossible to maintain a completely flawless success rate in our efforts.

We are happy that the insect was promptly killed and that you went on to enjoy the remainder of your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back should you ever come to Sydney again.