“Great expectation for Pier one but quite disappointing”

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Ranked #17 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Great expectation for Pier one but quite disappointing”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Pier One last Saturday evening May 31st. The occasion was to celebrate our 41st wedding anniversary.

We have not previously stayed at Pier One and had expected that the experience would be positive. That was far from the case.

The one night's accomodation together with parking and breakfast cost us approximately $600 and for that we expected something special. The hotel itself was attractive and the harbour setting was most pleasant.

When we arrived our bags were taken from us with the promise that they would be delivered to our room 331. One hour later they had still not appeared. I found them in the open lobby unattended and took them to our room. I was not challenged at any stage. They contained cameras, my wallet, my wife's jewellery and a prescription pad as I am a doctor.

We then went down for refreshments. When no one asked for our order my wife went to the bar and asked for the menu. She was told that there was no menu as it had been stolen

She ordered a cheese plate. Forty minutes later they brought us a cheese burger which we declined and after a further thirty minutes the cheese platter which cost $50 with two glasses of white wine.

In our room the shower door did not close properly and we were disappointed to see that the bathroom fittings were not as might be expected in a commercial premises ie thin domestic glass in the shower. The hot water ran hot and cold.

That night we were awakened by the fire alarm at 1.30am and told to stay in our rooms. We dressed and when no further advice came. We went back to bed only to be wakenened again later to be told that all was clear.

At breakfast the next morning we had to wait in the lobby till a table was available.

When we went in there was no hot food at all i.e. eggs, bacon, tomatoes, sausages etc. The gentleman in the queue before us had helped himself to the last of the sausages and hash browns with his fingers and was not challenged. We were told that there would be a 5 to ten minute wait for food but in fact it was 30 minutes before any food came. It was actually entertaining as all of the guests waiting for food shared their negative experiences. We eventually ordered poached eggs as an alternative, These arrived 25 mins later after we finally had managed to get some hot food. They were cold and hard and we left them.

My wife ended up with no breakfast apart from juice and fruit.

The two coffee machines did not work: one said 'no water' the other said 'call service man'.

When we checked out we were charged for breakfast for two days and had to explain that we had only been there for one night.

If this all sounds a bit extreme it actually happenned. There was no guest comment sheet to complete and the man on the desk on leaving seemed to have little interst in how our stay had been. We stay at other city hotels when we wish to dine in the city but we have never had such an experience. We will never stay there again and will not recommend it to our friends. My brother has used the hotel to accommodate overseas clients but will not do so in the future.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Ernest77777
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Ernest77777,

We appreciate you bringing to our attention the series of issues during your recent stay with us. We always strive to provide the highest quality service and accommodations, and regret to learn your visit was not on to your expectations.

It goes without saying that your experience is most definitely not in keeping with the standard of service we strive to deliver and, needless to say, I have reviewed your feedback with the Hotel team. Please be assured that this is certainly not representative of the usual service excellence here at the hotel!
We would really like to discuss further your experiences. Please contact us at ak.sydak.smc@autographhotels.com.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for reviewing our hotel.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed for one night only,with my daughter,for a city night out and some retail therapy.The only fault,though not a big issue,was that breakfast ran short of cooked food for a considerable time and the staffing seemed less than was needed to cope with morning rush hour.....
To the credit of the night staff in the early hours of this morning when a thoughtless guest set off the smoke detectors and the fire alarm was activated and fire trucks attended,the situation was quickly and professionally dealt with and managed as well as could possibly be .....Amazing location and a wonderful place to stay to enjoy the best harbour and city in the world!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear JodyF,

Thank you for your reviewing your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection!
Our associates will be thrilled to know you described them as quick and professional - Thank you!
In relation to the breakfast issues, I do apologize sincerely and wish to advise that we are taking immediate steps to rectify this issue. I appreciate your feedback as it allows me to make any necessary enhancements of our service and standards.
We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again to our Hotel.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We spent one night here so we could take part in Vivid.
While our room, when we finally got into it, was fine we had some difficulty with reception and concierge. We booked in at an admittedly busy time on a Saturday afternoon but we were told our room on the 2nd floor was not ready and to come back in ten minutes. We decided on a late lunch and had a pleasant meal at the outdoor restaurant on site where the staff were efficient and pleasant. Checking back at reception while waiting for our meal we were eventually given a room on the ground floor which we did not want. After complaining and being told that rooms are allocated as people check in (that didn't happen) we were relocated to the third floor. We went up after lunch only to find that neither electronic key worked and the nearby cleaning staff said they couldn't let us in. Yet another trip to reception to get this sorted out. "We don't know how that could have happened".
On arrival, the concierge had suggested we phone down 15 minutes before checking out so our car would be ready. We did so, checked out and arrived at concierge desk to find that nothing had been done about bringing the car around, there was no record of our call, and in fact they couldn't find our car keys. With four young men scrambling around the concierge desk the key was finally found and eventually the car was delivered.
Although these might sound like monor incidents these are the kind of messups that patrons remember and it is not a great memory. At no time were the staff anything but pleasant but patrons require service not excuses.
While the hotel is in a perfect spot for visiting Vivid and other Sydney events we would think twice about booking here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lachie255060
Dear lachie255060,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection. Guest feedback both positive and negative is extremely important and provides management with an opportunity to address areas of concern and make improvements.

With Vivid Sydney being so close to the Hotel, we have become unexpectedly popular this year. This is of course not an adequate apology but more of a an explanation for the poor service you have received. I have taken the liberty to pass your feedback on to the respective managers to undoubtedly be used for improvement.

We would really like to discuss further your experiences because these are certainly not our usual standards. May I kindly ask you to get in touch with Guest Relations at ak.sydak.smc@autographhotels.com, please.

Thanks again for reviewing your stay and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Byron Bay
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed on business at the Pier One and had a lot of promise for it. The location is fantastic and the reviews from other work travellers had been quite good. I can't say my experience was too great.

It stared with check in.... the staff told me my room was ready (around 12pm) when I arrived, so that was fantastic - didn't want to wait until 2pm. So I went off to my room, opened the door... to find it not made up. The sheets had been pulled down, there were lipstick marks still on the pillows. It looked like house keeping had been half way through, got distracted, walked out with all the supplies and marked the room was complete. So, back downstairs I went and the staff were a little surprised and told me 'but no, the room is green lit'
In any case, they told me they would fix it and give me a new room.

They did, I got a phone call around 2 saying new room was ready. But I didn't come back till after 5pm, where I did get a new room - one of the biggest rooms in the building, great. Though not a fan of the disabled rooms... But still a nice room, massive... when someone knocked on my door, the time it took me to walk from the bed/desk to the door - they often knocked again thinking I wasn't coming. Room also had a view...

Then I got the message saying the water was off in the hotel!! So went to the bar, had a few drinks... the bar area was nice, but a little badly set out. Not enough chairs in the actual bar area. The way the lounges were set out, they all were set around the floor view into the water below, so if you had more than 2 people wanting to sit together and talk, someone ended up standing... a little off putting in some ways, if you are constantly looking up etc. But I did enjoy the bar still.

nevertheless, location was fantastic.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jenna S,

Thank you very much for your most comprehensive review! I am disappointed to learn of your unsatisfactory experience in a couple of areas within the hotel. Constructive feedback is very important to us as we constantly strive to improve our services.
I apologize for the confusion occurred when trying to check in early.

With Vivid Sydney right on our doorstep, we seem to be unexpectedly popular this year.
Thank you as well for sharing your feedback on the Bar setup. We are going through a number of changes and we are upgrading our offering as well as our amenities. Very exciting things are going to happen at Pier One Sydney Harbour during the next months – our goal is to create a much more luxurious experience for our customers.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Pier One is in a wonderful location on Sydney harbour. However this alone is not enough.
The rooms are pleasant and clean in a slightly spartan style and reflect the origins of the hotel as a warehouse conversion. The bar area is good and the bar food excellent if expensive. However the service is only average, the shower curtains are loose, the hot water is limited for your shower on a Sunday morning and the breakfast was not what you would expect for $35 particularly as the Nespresso machines were constantly in need of emptying and these were the only source of hot beverages.
Overall I would say "could do better" to live up to the location's potential.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank 722Jon
Dear 772Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection, an ensemble of unique venues around the globe!
We strive to ensure our guests enjoy an exceptional hotel stay and I do apologize that this was not the case for you. We receive so many wonderful reviews on our luxury appointments and service standards and it is disappointing to know that we have not met your expectations on this occasion. Please rest assure that we have addressed your concerns with the relevant Managers to avoid such shortcomings occurring in the future. Reviews like yours are highly important to us as they give us a chance to improve our services.

Considering your disappointment, it is very gracious of you to take the time to highlight your satisfaction with other aspects of our service. Should you choose to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me direct as I would be most happy to personally oversee your reservation to ensure your stay is wholly more positive.

Sydney Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were disappointed with our stay in this hotel.
Rooms are very nicely appointed and roomy. Our water view room looked towards the western part of the Harbour so we could watch the sunsets.
The location is fabulous - right on the water's edge but away from the bustle of Circular Quay.
However: you have chosen this waterfront hotel to be on Sydney harbour, I would point out that it is NOT the right location for views of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. BUT if you walk out to the front of the hotel and only 2 mins away, there is a fabulous view of these iconic landmarks.
The location was fine for us - it was the incredibly slow and lacklustre service that really put a dampener on our 2 night stay. There seemed to be a lot of staff, just not a lot of customer service. Eg. Delays for collecting our car ran up to 20-30 mins and oftertimes, there was no one at the Concierge desk to help with car, luggage, directions, taxi services etc. I would not stay here again.
If you do chose this hotel, I would recommend getting a water taxi at night to Darling Harbour for dinner or even just a tour of the harbour.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a water view room - just check how much of a view! Level 2 would have better views...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Emerys2008,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection!
Guest feedback both positive and negative is extremely important and on this occasion provides management with an opportunity to address areas of concern and make improvements.

Thank you for sharing that you enjoyed our location. I do of course apologize for any disappointment you experienced in relation to certain other areas of our service, in particular our Concierge service which is usually such a positive highlight.
Having Vivid Sydney in front of our doorstep, our hotel has become so popular among Sydney visitors this year.
Nevertheless, our aim is to provide all of our guests with a wonderful five star experience and I am very sorry that this was not the case for you in this instance. I appreciate your feedback and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back when your travels next bring you to Sydney!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Coming from the states, we wanted something in a great location. Well, we got that and more. The rooms are elegant and most seem to have great views. Most everything is in walking distance. Walk to banks, water-front, public transportation, and many restaurants. We even walked across the Sydney Harbour bridge from there. If we get back to Sydney, we will definitely stay at Pier One.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the Sydney Harbour bridge and some face the harbour. The quieter rooms are opposite...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Scott S,

Thank you so much for such a kind review of Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection, an ensemble of unique venues around the globe. I am delighted to hear you were able to take advantage of our location. I also enjoy walking across the Harbour Bridge.

Once again many thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon for another getaway or special occasion.

Kind Regards,