My wife and I stayed at Pier One last Saturday evening May 31st. The occasion was to celebrate our 41st wedding anniversary.
We have not previously stayed at Pier One and had expected that the experience would be positive. That was far from the case.
The one night's accomodation together with parking and breakfast cost us approximately $600 and for that we expected something special. The hotel itself was attractive and the harbour setting was most pleasant.
When we arrived our bags were taken from us with the promise that they would be delivered to our room 331. One hour later they had still not appeared. I found them in the open lobby unattended and took them to our room. I was not challenged at any stage. They contained cameras, my wallet, my wife's jewellery and a prescription pad as I am a doctor.
We then went down for refreshments. When no one asked for our order my wife went to the bar and asked for the menu. She was told that there was no menu as it had been stolen
She ordered a cheese plate. Forty minutes later they brought us a cheese burger which we declined and after a further thirty minutes the cheese platter which cost $50 with two glasses of white wine.
In our room the shower door did not close properly and we were disappointed to see that the bathroom fittings were not as might be expected in a commercial premises ie thin domestic glass in the shower. The hot water ran hot and cold.
That night we were awakened by the fire alarm at 1.30am and told to stay in our rooms. We dressed and when no further advice came. We went back to bed only to be wakenened again later to be told that all was clear.
At breakfast the next morning we had to wait in the lobby till a table was available.
When we went in there was no hot food at all i.e. eggs, bacon, tomatoes, sausages etc. The gentleman in the queue before us had helped himself to the last of the sausages and hash browns with his fingers and was not challenged. We were told that there would be a 5 to ten minute wait for food but in fact it was 30 minutes before any food came. It was actually entertaining as all of the guests waiting for food shared their negative experiences. We eventually ordered poached eggs as an alternative, These arrived 25 mins later after we finally had managed to get some hot food. They were cold and hard and we left them.
My wife ended up with no breakfast apart from juice and fruit.
The two coffee machines did not work: one said 'no water' the other said 'call service man'.
When we checked out we were charged for breakfast for two days and had to explain that we had only been there for one night.
If this all sounds a bit extreme it actually happenned. There was no guest comment sheet to complete and the man on the desk on leaving seemed to have little interst in how our stay had been. We stay at other city hotels when we wish to dine in the city but we have never had such an experience. We will never stay there again and will not recommend it to our friends. My brother has used the hotel to accommodate overseas clients but will not do so in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection is ideally located on the magnificent Sydney waterfront close to the Southern pylon of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Boutique in size, our hotel features 189 unique federation style rooms with contemporary chic furnishings. Located in the heart of the Rocks, our hotel offers the perfect accommodation for exploring Sydney or getting friends together for a special event or wedding. The Gantry Restaurant & Bar offers its guests the ultimate open air dining experience with full panoramic views of Walsh Bay. Our luxury Sydney Harbour hotel's accommodations also offer a smoke-free environment, valet parking and 24-hour security. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sebel Pier 1 Sydney
- Sebel Pier One Sydney Hotel Sydney
- Sebel Pier One Hotel Sydney
- Pier One Sydney
- Sydney Sebel Pier One