“P.O.S.H - Life Package...”

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“P.O.S.H - Life Package...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Experienced a P.O.S.H - Life Package during, "The Vivid Festival". Arrived around 3pm and greeted warmly by Justin from valet. Checked in with Jen who addressed me politely by my last name as she had remembered me from my previous stay. Had booked room 213 which was a nice surprise as mentioned by Dale the duty manager. The Ops. Manager; Simon who happened to be at the front desk kindly explained the package which was good.
We had pre-booked dinner at the front restaurant as part of the posh life credits we have and the complimentary drinks and canapés just lovely. Owen and Ashleigh from the restaurant were very helpful and also explained information about the Vivid Festival / Rocks Market.
Before checking out I called the operator Emma who kindly mentioned how much posh credits I had left. Elle from reception intuitively had called up my car to be ready. So cool...it is hard to find a good unique well positioned antique hotel. I did notice even when the hotel was under a different branding, I am glad some familiar friendly staff stayed on that I have grown accustomed to...Well done and thank you Kim for the improvements from our last stay..looking forward to our next visit

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Rommel777
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Rommel777,

Thank you very much for choosing Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection and for your most comprehensive review! It is wonderful to read your feedback!

At Pier One Sydney Harbour, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests & building great memories. I am happy that you left with your own special memories. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team that are dedicated to exceeding our guests’ expectations.
I am also very pleased that you were able to take advantage of our location and the Vivid Festival.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you here again!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Here for 4 days, at a corporate rate of ~ $340 as part of a larger meeting.

I was able to check in at 5:30am which was great. Only an assisted access room was available, which I took. Room was generic but ok, with a fragmented view of the Harbour Bridge. Shower had curtains that ended about 4 inches off the floor and a shower would soak half the bathroom and take all day to drain away.

On night two road noise was evident and trains start running on the bridge at about 5am. However I was woken up at 2:30am by the vacuum system for some of the toilets going off every 35 seconds or so. This led to a 3am room change, to a bigger, better and quieter room.

So for last 2 nights the hotel was better, however having 50% of my nights trashed was weak.

Staff seemed good, breakfast was nice - though I got there at 6:30am so never had crowds. The bar was good, but shut at 11:30pm.

The location was grand, but as a premium hotel the rooms and the sleep quality can't keep up.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing away from the road and as close to the water as possible - 2nd or 3rd floor with...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Seven22
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Seven22,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour!

At Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests and building great memories and I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I have discussed your comments with the team and we have put measures in place to ensure we do not receive similar feedback in the future.

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed our location and breakfast and hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Unreasonable to be turned away from Sunday breakfast, wait 15 mins for table, then find many food trays empty at this expense level. While waiting it became clear many tables had been vacated but just not cleared and reset. Staff appeared few and untrained. Next morning entire hotel was evacuated in a chaotic manner when one guest set off smoke alarm with a cigarette (a likely foreseeable event). Hotel is nicely positioned but needs it invest in staff training.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melbournepk
Dear melbournepk,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection. We strive to ensure our guests enjoy an exceptional hotel stay and I do apologize that this was not the case for you. We receive so many wonderful reviews on our luxury appointments and service standards and it is disappointing to know that we have not met your expectations on this occasion.

I hope you will accept my apologies, and I will have an opportunity to welcome you back to our lovely Hotel.

East Maitland, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Marvellous location, friendly & helpful staff, but lacking the ambience of a $400+ hotel. A draughty open lounge was all that was available for seating in the reception/coffee area & the "dining" area is more cafe than restaurant.
So if all you want is a room with a harbourside location then it is fine.
Also, when we checked in, the water in the hotel was suddenly turned off & the toilet finally flushed with the sound of a small jet!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John H
Dear JohnHingston,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection, an ensemble of unique venues all around the globe. We sincerely apologize for the poor impression you have gained.
We are currently working on plans to make our dining area and lobby a much more luxurious one with an open kitchen and top notch design.
Hopefully we will have the chance to host you again to allow us the opportunity to show that we are capable of exceeding your expectations in all areas.
Thank you again for your review and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon when I trust your stay will be wholly excellent.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for the first stop of our honeymoon trip to Australia. The location was good. We could walk along the harbour to the Quay in 10-15 minutes or up the street through the Rocks in about the same amount of time. We visited during Vivid Sydney and the view from our room (of the harbour bridge) all lit up was great! Step out of the hotel and walk within 1 minute you have amazing views of the harbour, opera house and the waterfront of North Sydney too.

The hotel suffered a plumbing problem during our stay and a very gracious front desk Irish gentlemen offered us complimentary breakfast each day of our stay. Plus given we were honeymooners we also received a bottle of sparkling wine. I thought the location, the service, the food and everything else was great and would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor facing the harbour bridge. Fantastic in a heritage standard king room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Belinda B
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Belinda,

Thank you very much for choosing Pier One Sydney Harbour for your honeymoon and also for your comprehensive review.

I am delighted to read that you could take advantage of the hotel being part of Vivid and very pleased our associates were making your honeymoon stay an enjoyable one.
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the plumbing issues. Being a heritage listed building, we are not able to change certain things as quickly as we would like to, but this is certainly on our to do list!

Thank you again for taking the time to comment and do visit us again should you ever come back to Sydney again!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Pier One last Saturday evening May 31st. The occasion was to celebrate our 41st wedding anniversary.

We have not previously stayed at Pier One and had expected that the experience would be positive. That was far from the case.

The one night's accomodation together with parking and breakfast cost us approximately $600 and for that we expected something special. The hotel itself was attractive and the harbour setting was most pleasant.

When we arrived our bags were taken from us with the promise that they would be delivered to our room 331. One hour later they had still not appeared. I found them in the open lobby unattended and took them to our room. I was not challenged at any stage. They contained cameras, my wallet, my wife's jewellery and a prescription pad as I am a doctor.

We then went down for refreshments. When no one asked for our order my wife went to the bar and asked for the menu. She was told that there was no menu as it had been stolen

She ordered a cheese plate. Forty minutes later they brought us a cheese burger which we declined and after a further thirty minutes the cheese platter which cost $50 with two glasses of white wine.

In our room the shower door did not close properly and we were disappointed to see that the bathroom fittings were not as might be expected in a commercial premises ie thin domestic glass in the shower. The hot water ran hot and cold.

That night we were awakened by the fire alarm at 1.30am and told to stay in our rooms. We dressed and when no further advice came. We went back to bed only to be wakenened again later to be told that all was clear.

At breakfast the next morning we had to wait in the lobby till a table was available.

When we went in there was no hot food at all i.e. eggs, bacon, tomatoes, sausages etc. The gentleman in the queue before us had helped himself to the last of the sausages and hash browns with his fingers and was not challenged. We were told that there would be a 5 to ten minute wait for food but in fact it was 30 minutes before any food came. It was actually entertaining as all of the guests waiting for food shared their negative experiences. We eventually ordered poached eggs as an alternative, These arrived 25 mins later after we finally had managed to get some hot food. They were cold and hard and we left them.

My wife ended up with no breakfast apart from juice and fruit.

The two coffee machines did not work: one said 'no water' the other said 'call service man'.

When we checked out we were charged for breakfast for two days and had to explain that we had only been there for one night.

If this all sounds a bit extreme it actually happenned. There was no guest comment sheet to complete and the man on the desk on leaving seemed to have little interst in how our stay had been. We stay at other city hotels when we wish to dine in the city but we have never had such an experience. We will never stay there again and will not recommend it to our friends. My brother has used the hotel to accommodate overseas clients but will not do so in the future.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Ernest77777
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Ernest77777,

We appreciate you bringing to our attention the series of issues during your recent stay with us. We always strive to provide the highest quality service and accommodations, and regret to learn your visit was not on to your expectations.

It goes without saying that your experience is most definitely not in keeping with the standard of service we strive to deliver and, needless to say, I have reviewed your feedback with the Hotel team. Please be assured that this is certainly not representative of the usual service excellence here at the hotel!
We would really like to discuss further your experiences. Please contact us at ak.sydak.smc@autographhotels.com.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for reviewing our hotel.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed for one night only,with my daughter,for a city night out and some retail therapy.The only fault,though not a big issue,was that breakfast ran short of cooked food for a considerable time and the staffing seemed less than was needed to cope with morning rush hour.....
To the credit of the night staff in the early hours of this morning when a thoughtless guest set off the smoke detectors and the fire alarm was activated and fire trucks attended,the situation was quickly and professionally dealt with and managed as well as could possibly be .....Amazing location and a wonderful place to stay to enjoy the best harbour and city in the world!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear JodyF,

Thank you for your reviewing your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection!
Our associates will be thrilled to know you described them as quick and professional - Thank you!
In relation to the breakfast issues, I do apologize sincerely and wish to advise that we are taking immediate steps to rectify this issue. I appreciate your feedback as it allows me to make any necessary enhancements of our service and standards.
We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again to our Hotel.