“Perfect location for a tour of the city. Good business hotel as well.”

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Ranked #17 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Being located on the waterfron in The Rocks, the 'historic' heart of Sydney, the hotel is in walking distance from some of the major tourist sites of the city. Stand under the Harbour Bridge, walk up to the Opera or just scroll through the old quarter to find a nice drink and meal. All within a few minutes walking. The hotel is stylish but modern at the same time. Staff is friendly and very helpful. DO only not forget to inform laundry service in case you have got something for them, for whatever reason the cleaning ladies do not take of that.

Room Tip: As far as I could see all rooms ar at the waterfront. If not, ask for it explicetly.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed here in May and was very impressed by the great location and refurbishment done on this landmark building in a stunning location.

The rooms were great and I stayed on the 2nd of 3 floors. The rooms were quiet and the bed was comfortable. The staff were good without being exceptional and the food was good. The parking situation is not ideal but there are many options around the hotel.

The big plus is the proximity to the Rocks, the Bridge and being right on harbour. You can smell the salt air and it is a great place to stay if you love nature, taking stunning photos, or want a nautical vibe to your hotel. Well worth considering.

Room Tip: Always smile, and the higher the room, the better the view, the less the pedestrian noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Fussyandhonest
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here twice. On my wedding night and again for another friends wedding. It's a beautiful hotel. The bar is great and the pier is great for breakfast the next morning sitting in the sun.
Different types of rooms, both we were in were beautiful, with large bathrooms. Don't think any room would disappoint.
The room service breakfast we had was so yum. Had everything and nothing disappointed.
So close to the rocks and it's great on the weekends with the markets so close.
Close to bars and restaurants. Great location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We came to Sydney for my 7year old's birthday. All she wanted to do was see the Opera House. So we picked Pier One for its amazing location while Vivid was on. When we arrived Pier One asked the reason for our visit. They went out of their way to spoil my little girl. She felt so special, what a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We booked this hotel so we could see the vivid lights and for that the location was perfect. The hotel itself was strangely plain but I guess they are going for a heritage look and maybe the plainness is part of that. We were very happy with our room when we checked in, I had asked to be away from the elevator due to travelling alone with my daughter and the room they gave us was all the way at the end of the hall with amazing views of the harbour bridge which was great seeing as we were there for the vivid lights which the bridge was involved in. That night however there was a function in the bar which turned out to be under my room, it was like being in a nightclub it was so noisy. To give the hotel credit, when I complained about the noise they moved us into a suite room. The suite room had a lovely spa but again was strangely plain and boring for a supposed top end hotel room. We moved into the room just after lunch, called the front desk a few times to locate our baggage which was supposed to have been moved to our room print to us checking in but they just kept saying it was busy they would find someone to locate them and bring them up. We were supposed to be at darling harbour at 4.30, bags finally arrived at 5pm. Went to shower and get ready...no water...the water for the hotel had been turned of. We had a great night sleep that night and really enjoyed the food at the hotel as well as the location. As I said, mixed bag of positives and negatives.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the function areas
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel so that I would be close to some if he famous Sydney sights while on a recent business trip and for that part, the hotel is excellent. It was during the VIVID exhibition, unbeknownst to me, so it was a wonderful surprise one evening to go for a walk right along the harbour to the Opera House and take in all the magnificent colours.

The service is what is most strange though as there is a certain detachment from everyone that you deal with. One my second day I arrived back from my meetings at 16:00/4pm and my room had still not been made up, upon calling the front desk to enquiry why it wasn't made up, I was advised that departing rooms are made first and rooms for guests remaining are dealt with last so rooms are only made up after 14:00/2pm. When one leaves at 7am and only returns at 4pm as I did, I do find it strange that a room is not cleaned until after 4pm.

From a convenience point of view, the position does help one get over everything else that might be amiss.

• Stayed: May 2014
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear TinaAponte,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour – Autograph Collection!
We strive to ensure all of our guests’ stays with us are memorable for all the right reasons and I sincerely apologize that this was not the case in this instance. During Vivid our hotel was very popular because of our location and the proximity to the festival, so our Housekeeping team indeed was a bit behind schedule on certain days. We apologize if this has impacted your stay.

I do hope this experience has not dampened your perception of the hotel and sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Kind regards,

Simon Wanstall

Operations Manager

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had booked based on pictures we had seen online. We live relatively close to the hotel, but had reasons to be in town for the weekend, so decided to stay here and make a weekend of it.

From check-in nothing seemed to go right. Firstly we were advised there was onsite valet parking, but no matter how hard we looked and after driving past the hotel a few times we could not locate the valet, so we parked a little way up the street and walked down. This would set the tone for our entire stay.

On check-in the hotel couldn't find our booking and went as far as to suggest we hadn't booked, luckily I still had my confirmation emails and eventually (after about 20 minutes) they found the booking and had us on our way to the room.

The room was spacious and quite nice to look at.

We left the hotel and headed to the event we were in town for.

On returning later that night our room was steamily hot. After about an hour of talking with reception repeatedly someone came to check the air conditioning, which they then told us was faulty...

We were moved to another room, only to find the whole hotel's air con was apparently not working.

Staff continued to be unhelpful with the situation and we ended up leaving unhappy and totally dissatisfied with the stay.

To their credit the hotel acknowledged the problems and took our feedback on board. I still wouldn't return though.

My husband and I stayed here on a romantic vacation for 4 days. Although the location of the hotel is great with beautiful views and our room was very clean that is where it ends. At $500+ USD/a night you would expect customer service. The customer service was lacking. The hotel was constantly understaffed. All the employees are in their late teens /early twenties and seem absolutely clueless about how to run a hotel. For example, we wanted to have a drink at sunset in the bar/lobby area. It wasn't busy however we waited for 20 minutes and the server never came around to take our order although it was obvious we wanted a drink. Not very romantic. Breakfast is the same way. They sit you down for a $30/person meal and then never come back to take your order. It was painful and took all the fun out of staying at a nice hotel. Do not stay here if you expect service or fun!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple