“Voucher declined.”

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
“Voucher declined.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Last Saturday night - Aug 2, 2014 - the hotel staff of Pier One Sydney Harbour refused to honour an accommodation voucher I bought for my sister and her husband last Christmas. They had reserved a room on July 29 and were asked for a credit card to secure the booking. Thinking this odd, my sister contacted me. On July 29, I rang the reservations desk of Pier One Sydney Harbour, explained the situation, and was assured that all was well with the voucher. I repeated the number of the voucher and was again reassured that it was fine. Little did we know.
My sister and her husband drove to Sydney from Canberra on the occasion of his birthday, looking forward to their night on the harbour in the "waterside king room" I'd given them for Christmas. It was a bed & breakfast package that cost me $430. In the print-out I gave them, the letter began, "Dear Guest and went on to note that all reservations are "subject to availability, block-out dates, minimum night stays and booking conditions may apply". It did not clearly state that the voucher was valid for six months. To find this, you had to use a magnifying glass.
My unsuspecting sister and her husband turn up to the Pier One Sydney Harbour in the early afternoon of Aug 2 to find chaos in the reception area. When it is finally their turn, the staff member is strangely reluctant to process their reservation. Scrutinising their voucher, she suddenly exclaims, "Oh dear, this voucher is invalid."
She calls over her colleague, Clementine Dickey, who says firmly, "This is an Accor voucher and this is now a Marriott hotel (aka Autograph Collection). We can take no responsibility. The Accor office is closed today, and so there is nothing we can do." (The Sebel Pier One was sold to the Marriot chain earlier this year. Apparently nobody thought to inform the voucher holders.)
I spoke to Ms Dickey on the phone for a good 20 minutes and she was resolute in her decision not to honour the voucher. It made no difference that the couple standing before her had driven from Sydney, nor that other staff at the hotel had reassured me the previous Tuesday that the voucher was fine. Indeed Ms Dickey was noticeably unsympathetic to our predicament.
She mentioned in passing that "they'd had to deal with a lot of these vouchers."
It is shabby treatment for a hotel to turn away guests who arrive in good faith that all will be well. What would the Marriott chain have lost by choosing to honour the voucher? Would it have made a dent in their annual profit?
I bought a room on Wotif at the Shangri La for my sister & her husband, for almost the same price as the voucher ($420). We met them to celebrate the birthday boy and spent $150 on drinks; they went on to buy dinner at the Shangri La.
None of us will ever step foot in to the Pier One Sydney Harbour again, nor do we have any wish to stay in a Marriott hotel, aka Autograph Collection. And many of my friends were surprised at the Marriott's refusal to honour the voucher - they will remember it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Inkandfeathers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I recently stayed at the above hotel for the weekend to celebrate an anniversary. We had a king room with harbour views. The room was modern, clean and fresh with a nautical feel, the bathroom had a bath as well as shower, the room had an industrial feel about it. Bed was large and very comfy with good quality linen, crisp and white.
Fantastic location close to the Rocks area with lots of pubs and restaurants. Sydney Theatre is also close by as well as the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Botanical Gardens, We could also see Luna Park from the hotel.
Staff were quick and efficient and very pleasant. Thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: King room with harbour view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia

Genuinely Wonderful and Helpful Staff

Stayed here last week for four nights with my daughter. Found all the staff we encountered in all areas, lovely and helpful. From initial phone contact, Terri, to check in, Emma, Concierge, Sayten , front desk Joanna, Alex and Stirling, all the restaurant and housekeeping staff, very lovely indeed.
The reception entrance is temporary at the moment (as they are doing minor renovations), but nothing really too disruptive or noisy. Dined at the restaurant a couple of times, great, with a direct water view outlook. Also breakfasts buffet, plenty of choice. We really liked the location, as it is not as noisy and busy as the main drag, but not too far away from everything and an easy and interesting walk to Circular Quay. Taxis’s are plentiful and came very quickly as the rank is very close by on the lower street level (where the normal entry will again be when finished alterations). Took many great photos from this location. There is a gym which we didn’t get to use and we were out a lot so didn’t have as much time to enjoy accommodation as we would have liked. It is a smaller hotel, great atmosphere, previously been a warehouse, so many exposed beams and interesting building features, heritage listed I believe. Interiors used neutral colours, so relaxing. Toilets like those in planes, bit different but more environmental friendly. Really glad we stayed there and would like to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Comfy bed, pillows were a bit hard but the room is very nice. Renovations are underway and it is a bit confusing to check in - reception is on the second floor.
Wifi is $10.
The toilets are a bit strange - similar to plane toilets.
But apart from that it's great. The conference rooms were great. Staff helped with all our technical difficulties.
Breakfast - best I've had for buffet in a long time. Includes waffles (not the best but still!!) mini jars of condiments and chocolate milk!
Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is currently under renovation, but this was a non-issue, as the staff were very accommodating, offering an upgrade to a suite and a fantastic view of Sydney Harbour. The location is magic, just 5 minute walk from The Rocks and ten minute walk to Circular Quay. The room was large, immaculately clean and had a great bathroom with views. Thankyou to Clementine from reception who made my wife and I feel right at home. Will definitely stay again for a special occasion.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael T
Jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was booked in one of the suites located just under the bridge. It was an AWESOMELY HUGE room, divided into 3 areas: spacious living room, cozy bedroom and luxurious bathroom. The room design was contemporary and uses neutral colors (beige, light brown, white). The bed was comfortable and the comforter very plush. The room looks to Luna Park across the water. You do get excellent view of the boats cruising around at all times during the day and the bridge. The hotel incorporates some of the original structure which I think was a warehouse way back when.

To get to the hotel, I caught a taxi from the Sydney Harbor train station. The driver sort of knew how to get there (using a GPS), but didn't know where the main entrance is. He dropped me off at the far corner of the hotel and I had to walk a bit and made an entrance via the patio restaurant. The check in process was swift, the staff was very friendly. I got a room immediately although I had arrived quite early in the morning. Probably because no one has booked the suite prior to my arrival. I find it a nice touch anyway allowing people to check in early at no extra cost when the room is available.

My only problem with the hotel is the location. While it is right next to the Harbor Bridge, it is a tad far from any public transportation. You must rely on taxi or walk. It is not too far of a walk, e.g. 15mins to Sydney Harbor, 15mins to the Rocks, etc., which makes going back and forth to/from the hotel a bit of a chore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the bay or the water. The other side faces the street, although you do get a v...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank OdysseusNY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My daughter surprised me with a night here for my birthday.
My wife and I have stayed here before and were happy to return.
It is a smallish hotel located right on Sydney Harbour - the poor man's Park Hyatt !
The property is currently undergoing refurbishment but the inherent guest inconvenience was handled well by the excellent staff.
Our room had been tastefully refurbished although a little small.
My major judging criteria are bed comfort and how good the shower is
Bed was extremely comfortable.
Sadly the shower had the worst water pressure I can remember experiencing - not only in an international hotel but also in a cheap country motel.
This is the only thing that prevented me giving this place a 5 rating.
A great breakfast was included in the well priced package

Room Tip: Be warned that some of the water views are really just views of the the opposite wharf
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple