“Disappointed”

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Ranked #18 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have had a long relationship with this place when it was under the Sebel brand. I actually felt like a valued customer then. This place used to be my favourite hotel but that all changed last week. The lobby is being renovated and staff directions were quite vague so I found myself wandering around only to find that my room was on the ground floor past the kitchen. Had to go down a very dark hallway and it felt like a dungeon. This wasn't helped by the fact that despite paying for a harbour room there were wooden slats right across my window so could barely see any water at all. It felt like a prison cell and you could hear people walking past at odd hours of the night. The noise from the room above was pretty loud and overall the stay was really disappointing. The staff are polite but impersonal....lucky the young guy walking me out to the taxi saved the day. I will be staying somewhere else from now on.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Flicky70
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Flicky70,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor as well - customer feedback is very important to us as we continuously strive to improve our guest experience!

I believe that our Marketing Coordinator Eva is already in touch with you, but please let me also point out that I do hope that despite this, you may come and experience Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection - in the future. The experience that you had with our staff in the short time is a reflection of the wonderful service that we offer here at Pier One Sydney Harbour.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The hotel is very elegant and well designed. Rooms are big and well designed. Beds are very comfortable. Great location, walking distance to the Opera House, Circular Quay and the best bars and restaurants in the Rocks area. Service was excellent throughout our stay.
The only negative point was that the hotel is currently undergoing renovation work and therefore the reception has been moved to the 2nd floor: less common space available and slow check-out.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Edoardo A,

We are absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection! We had to relocate the reception area as it is our priority to offer better check-in, lounging, pier, bar and dining experiences moving forward and our beautification will achieve this. Exciting things are happening at Pier One at the moment and we cannot wait until it is finished.
Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you again here at Pier One Sydney Harbour when we trust your stay will be wholly exceptional.

Thanks again for sharing and kind regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Nice hotel overlooking the water. Clean, simple rooms with no major accessory. Perfect for business travelers. Had some construction going hence the access was hindered. There is unfortunately nothing in the vicinity in case you want to buy or eat anything outside the hotel. Longish walk to restaurants and pubs and at nights can be a pretty lonely stretch.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear unni_spore,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection. We are glad you enjoyed your time on the pier.
Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you again to show you our new restaurant and lobby area.

Thanks again for commenting and kind regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We spent a weekend here for a special birthday. We are also Marriott Gold card holders and usually stay at the Marriott at Circular Quay but were keen to try the new addition to the group.
We were very pleased with the room, great harbour views, a bright and airy room but the air conditioning was not working properly. This may have been due to the extensive renovations under way there.
Our evening dinner was excellent and staff attentive and friendly, however breakfast staff were scarce, and the buffet breakfast ordinary, dishes were not cleared away and the food not replenished often enough.
None of the restaurant staff were familiar with Marriott Gold dining privilages and hence there was confusion on check out and overcharges on our bill.
Overall a great location and atmosphere at this hotel but staff are trying hard but need more training.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water have the views and are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear stats1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour!
As a part of the Autograph group, a collection of unique venues all around the world, we strive to deliver this special “holiday” feeling to our guests. We have a fantastic team who really do take pride in ensuring our guests’ experience is all they expect and more. Your constructive feedback is very helpful to obviously improve our guest experience.
We look forward to welcoming you again here at Pier One Sydney Harbour.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed here over the weekend with my husband, we stayed in the waterside delux king room and I was not disappointed. The view was spectacular, we looked right out onto the Harbour onto Luna Park and the Bridge. The room was modern, clean and generous in size. The bathroom had a large bath and a stunning rain shower big enough for two. Although it is currently under restorations, the staff were welcoming and extremely helpful. The nautical feel was fitting to its history and location. Will definitely book there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Bianca,

thank you so much for your kind words - we are glad to read that your stay was so excellent!
Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you again. Once our new restaurant and reception area will be finished, the hotel will be even more amazing.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment and kind regards,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have just returned from one night’s stay at the Pier One. I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews below however I was completely blown away by this hotel. We stayed in a Walsh Bay Suite which was amazing. It had a huge bath, dual showers, comfortable bed and a view of the harbour bridge and opera house. Staff were friendly and professional. The buffet breakfast had a huge selection of items and the hotel itself was a 10 minute walk to the rocks area. I have stayed at plenty of 5 star hotels in Sydney and this would have to be my favourite. I will defiantly be back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 81LaurenT

Dear Biance,

We are absolutely thrilled to read your feedback - thank you very much, it is mostly appreciated.

Hopefully we can welcome you again here a Pier One Sydney Harbour, once our beautification process is finished when I trust your stay will be even better.

Thanks again for sharing and kind regards,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Even though this hotel is new to Marriott, I was appalled at how unprofessional and untrained the staff were. It all started the night before arriving to Sydney I called Pier One to ask if they have an executive lounge as I was still deciding to stay here or at the flagship Marriott. (I am Marriott elite and normally only stay there when traveling) When the person answered the phone I asked if they had a lounge and with no reply i was instantly put on hold with someone else picking up who sounded as if they were in a call center not at the hotel. I asked to make sure and the person confirmed there was a lounge, I even asked if the free breakfast was served in the lounge or restaurant to confirm and was told both were options so and I booked the room.

Upon our late arrival, around midnight during the check in I asked where the lounge was located and was told there wasnt one. I was quite upset as I would have booked the Marriott in this case and specifically called to ask before booking. The only solution I was offered was that they would cancel my reservation, being nearly midnight and after a long flight this wasnt an option.

The next morning I went down for breakfast and was asked which buffet I would like, I didnt know what the options are and I just said I was Marriott gold (which means free breakfast) and the waitress looked and me asked 'whats that?'.

After breakfast, the manager (Clementine) got in touch with me about the misinformation with the lounge and was more concerned with proving that it wasn't an employee of the hotel that gave me mis information instead of resolving the problem even though if it was someone at a call center this is still an employee of the hotel in my opinion.

Her finally solution was to offer me free breakfast, even though I already get this being Marriott Gold and would not be able to access the lounge that created all this problem if i wasnt.

The room itself was great, if you plan to work in the room and never interact with the staff this is the perfect place, but if you have any expectations of professional service and informative staff I can highly recommend to stay away, atleast until corporate marriott trainers come in and educate the staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business