“Big Disappointment”

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Ranked #19 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My friends and I stayed here last weekend. Really wasn't overly impressed.

I stayed on the sofa bed in the Heritage Deluxe Room. When we returned to the room on Thursday night after going out to dinner, the sofa bed had not been unfolded nor made up. I was also surprised to find there were no sheets or blankets located in the room for the sofa bed. I phoned reception who arranged for sheets and and a blanket to be delivered to the room, however I still had to make up the bed myself (not really a huge deal but when you pay the big bucks to stay somewhere nice, you would think it would be done for you). The blanket resembled something you would get if you were staying in jail, it was hard and scratchy and not at all comfortable. The next day I called reception again and requested a doona and some more pillows, which were also brought up.

There was also confusion upon checking in and checking out, as to whether the rooms had been paid in advance or not (which they were meant to be). We paid the rooms in full on checking out however the Hotel still put a hold on our credit cards for the whole amount - taking 5-7 days to be removed. Annoying!

These are just a few points of frustration. The staff were all very courteous and friendly and this was appreciated. However overall I was very disappointed with the stay, and considering there are hotels in the near vicinity which are of quality standard, I think we will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mee21Mee
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Mee21Mee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection!
It goes without saying that we are very sorry and concerned to hear of your experience. We receive so many wonderful reviews on our luxury appointments and service standards and it is disappointing to know that we have not met your expectations on this occasion.

Please rest ensured that your comments will be used for improvement and please accept our apologies for the negative experiences you have had - these are certainly not the service standards we adhere to. Considering your disappointment, it is very gracious of you to take the time to highlight your satisfaction with other aspects of our service. I am glad to hear that our associates were friendly and helpful.

Should you choose to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me directly as I would be most happy to personally oversee your reservation to ensure your stay is wholly more positive.

Thank you again for sharing, it is most appreciated.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,711)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Firstly, the location is fantastic and very easy to get to. Close to the Quay, sensational views. We booked through Qantas and got a really good rate. When we arrived we found out there are renovations underway, hence the low rate.

The rooms are large and very neat and the bed was amazingly comfortable. Quirky elements include the toilet which is the ones on an aeroplane. Frighten the life out of me when my boyfriend went to the toilet in the middle of the night. I could hear a lot of noises like sliding doors. We could also hear the water lapping under the hotel. An empty wine bottle was beside the TV cabinet. I was concerned we would be billed of it but that didn't happen. There were also some hair clips on the floor of the bathroom.

We try and stay at a different place each time we visit Sydney and Pier One didn't really do it for us.

One last point, there are some previous comments about staff, we found everyone to be extremely professional and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Cathy,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review from your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour. I am disappointed to learn of your unsatisfactory experience in a couple of areas within the hotel. I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experiences you encountered and please rest assure that we have addressed your concerns with the relevant Managers to avoid such shortcomings occurring in the future.
Our Executive Housekeeper has been at the hotel for years and considers it to be her second home - she takes pride in his team giving attention to the smallest details that make the biggest difference and will ensure your feedback is investigated and resolved.

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed our location and hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have had a long relationship with this place when it was under the Sebel brand. I actually felt like a valued customer then. This place used to be my favourite hotel but that all changed last week. The lobby is being renovated and staff directions were quite vague so I found myself wandering around only to find that my room was on the ground floor past the kitchen. Had to go down a very dark hallway and it felt like a dungeon. This wasn't helped by the fact that despite paying for a harbour room there were wooden slats right across my window so could barely see any water at all. It felt like a prison cell and you could hear people walking past at odd hours of the night. The noise from the room above was pretty loud and overall the stay was really disappointing. The staff are polite but impersonal....lucky the young guy walking me out to the taxi saved the day. I will be staying somewhere else from now on.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Flicky70

Dear Flicky70,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor as well - customer feedback is very important to us as we continuously strive to improve our guest experience!

I believe that our Marketing Coordinator Eva is already in touch with you, but please let me also point out that I do hope that despite this, you may come and experience Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection - in the future. The experience that you had with our staff in the short time is a reflection of the wonderful service that we offer here at Pier One Sydney Harbour.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The hotel is very elegant and well designed. Rooms are big and well designed. Beds are very comfortable. Great location, walking distance to the Opera House, Circular Quay and the best bars and restaurants in the Rocks area. Service was excellent throughout our stay.
The only negative point was that the hotel is currently undergoing renovation work and therefore the reception has been moved to the 2nd floor: less common space available and slow check-out.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Edoardo A,

We are absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection! We had to relocate the reception area as it is our priority to offer better check-in, lounging, pier, bar and dining experiences moving forward and our beautification will achieve this. Exciting things are happening at Pier One at the moment and we cannot wait until it is finished.
Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you again here at Pier One Sydney Harbour when we trust your stay will be wholly exceptional.

Thanks again for sharing and kind regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Nice hotel overlooking the water. Clean, simple rooms with no major accessory. Perfect for business travelers. Had some construction going hence the access was hindered. There is unfortunately nothing in the vicinity in case you want to buy or eat anything outside the hotel. Longish walk to restaurants and pubs and at nights can be a pretty lonely stretch.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear unni_spore,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection. We are glad you enjoyed your time on the pier.
Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you again to show you our new restaurant and lobby area.

Thanks again for commenting and kind regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We spent a weekend here for a special birthday. We are also Marriott Gold card holders and usually stay at the Marriott at Circular Quay but were keen to try the new addition to the group.
We were very pleased with the room, great harbour views, a bright and airy room but the air conditioning was not working properly. This may have been due to the extensive renovations under way there.
Our evening dinner was excellent and staff attentive and friendly, however breakfast staff were scarce, and the buffet breakfast ordinary, dishes were not cleared away and the food not replenished often enough.
None of the restaurant staff were familiar with Marriott Gold dining privilages and hence there was confusion on check out and overcharges on our bill.
Overall a great location and atmosphere at this hotel but staff are trying hard but need more training.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water have the views and are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear stats1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour!
As a part of the Autograph group, a collection of unique venues all around the world, we strive to deliver this special “holiday” feeling to our guests. We have a fantastic team who really do take pride in ensuring our guests’ experience is all they expect and more. Your constructive feedback is very helpful to obviously improve our guest experience.
We look forward to welcoming you again here at Pier One Sydney Harbour.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed here over the weekend with my husband, we stayed in the waterside delux king room and I was not disappointed. The view was spectacular, we looked right out onto the Harbour onto Luna Park and the Bridge. The room was modern, clean and generous in size. The bathroom had a large bath and a stunning rain shower big enough for two. Although it is currently under restorations, the staff were welcoming and extremely helpful. The nautical feel was fitting to its history and location. Will definitely book there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Bianca,

thank you so much for your kind words - we are glad to read that your stay was so excellent!
Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you again. Once our new restaurant and reception area will be finished, the hotel will be even more amazing.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment and kind regards,