“Not so great for single female travellers”

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Ranked #21 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I chose this hotel because the location sounded ideal on paper: close to The Rocks, but just far enough away to avoid the noise and rowdies. Unfortunately I did not realise that it gets dark at 6, if not before. I did not feel comfortable about walking back to the hotel from the city after dark, so I went back to Walsh Bay early and found a few places to eat there in the evenings.
My heart sank when I arrived at the hotel and saw a sign announcing "beautification work", which was a serious euphemism, as it seemed to be major work, not just a lick of paint. Breakfast was rather spoilt by the noise of this work, and everything seemed to be provisional, with lots of plastic sheeting up everywhere. Fortunately my room was not close to the building site, but I would not really describe it as quiet, since there was a lot of noise from doors banging and suction-type toilets flushing in other rooms. The room was a good size, as was the bathroom, but I thought it could do with some element of colour to relieve the white walls (the only decoration was provided by some rather uninspiring black and white photos, and some nice indigo cushions).
Breakfast was good, although the service was a bit hit-and-miss. I ate in the restaurant on one occasion, and the food was excellent albeit pricey.

Room Tip: I had room 239, which had a view of men fishing off Pier 2, and nothing much else apart from the occ...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Karina C
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Karina,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection!
It is a very important point you raise and I will definitely speak to our Concierge team about what we can do to not receive similar feedback in the future.

As part of our move earlier this year into the Autograph Collection, we recognised that there were areas of Pier One Sydney Harbour that would benefit from the expertise and facilities of other properties in the group to further improve our guest and corporate client experience. Our priority is to offer better check in, lounging, pier, bar and dining choices moving forward and to achieve this we have embarked on a beautification process.

We would be more than delighted to prove to you that we are able to exceed your expectations in all areas. Please don't hesitate to contact me direct, should you consider to stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour again when I trust your stay will be a wholly positive experience.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment your stay and kind regards

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,638)

Reviewed 30 August 2014

When my husband stays in Sydney he adores the Four Seasons so as his travel advisor ;) I had a hard time persuading him to try out Pier One (FS was seriously full). When I wrote to the Pier One front desk explaining that I was disappointed not to be able to join him on Sydney on this occasion and asked if they could welcome him with a nice glass of Shiraz (and to bill me), they went beyond. He was upgraded to a lovely waterfront room, he adored the view of the other side of the harbour, and was delivered a bottle of red - with hotels compliments-- thank you! - as a welcome.

Further he identified that he too had got lost during the refurb, as lower main entrance not in use, but a meal taken at the hotel restaurant was enjoyable. He reports staff as being friendly and efficient, and as a Marriott member appreciates the complimentary wifi. I for one am so glad we have found such a super new favorite in my favorite city!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear IslandAmber,

Thank you very much for your feedback - we are absolutely thrilled to read your comment!
I am really happy to read that our team was able to make his stay such a memorable one - this is what we aim for and we have a great time here at Pier One Sydney Harbour!

Hopefully we get the chance to welcome you both here at Pier One next time.

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Staying here before my wedding. There are construction works going on - wasn't told on booking. Couldn't find the entrance.. Restaurant owner helped me to reception with my dress as no hotel staff were anywhere to be seen.check in was chaotic, room is Devine, decor is perfect. Walsh Bay Suite is amazing. Breakfast didn't arrived as ordered in the morning and despite the best endeavours of the maintenance guy - the TV doesn't work. Gorgeous hotel let down by its management unfortunately

• Stayed: August 2014
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Penelov,

We strive to ensure our guests enjoy an exceptional hotel stay and I do apologize that this was not the case for you. We receive so many wonderful reviews on our luxury appointments and service standards and it is disappointing to know that we have not met your expectations on this occasion.
Guest feedback both positive and negative is extremely important and on this occasion provides management with an opportunity to address areas of concern and make improvements.
As you describe, we are going through a redesign and we do work really hard to make our guests' stay as enjoyable as possible. It is our priority to offer better check-in, dining and lounging experiences in the future!

Thank you again for your review and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon when I trust your stay will be wholly excellent.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is probably the best located hotel I have ever stayed at, the function room overlooking the water is amazing and at night time the views are just as spectacular as during the day. The staff are really wonderful, very friendly and accommodating.

The rooms are tidy and well sized, surprisingly quite considering the vicinity to the Bridge.

Definitely a great place to stay, I will be going back as soon as I can.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
PierOneSydneyHarbour, Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear PODKS,

Thank you very much, we are absolutely thrilled to read your feedback!
As a part of the Autograph group, a collection of unique venues all around the world, we strive to deliver this special “holiday” feeling to our guests - our current beautification will make the hotel an even better venue once finished.
We have a fantastic team who really do take pride in ensuring our guests’ experience is all they expect and more.

Hopefull we will get the chance to welcome you again, here at Pier One!

Harry SIngh

Reviewed 27 August 2014

This Marriott branded boutique hotel is quite interesting. I have to start off my mentioning that a renovation project was fairly disruptive during my stay, but I still enjoyed this place!
The main entrance was temporarily relocated and difficult to find, with many many taxis were dropping off guests at wrong level and the stairs were difficult with luggage.
They did a remarkable job of setting up a temporary lobby with a view of the Sydney Harbor Bridge that was functional and comfortable.
Staff were excellent and very accomodating.
The hallways are narrow and I was surprised the hotel allows so many housekeeping carts and piles of linens to be stacked in the narrow hallway during the day time. I felt like complaining but the housekeepers were all friendly and I did not bother.
I loved my room!
Large, lots of natural light and comfy bed. Lights were easy to use and there were plenty of places to charge devices.
I was impressed with the modern bathroom, but it had some negatives.
There were two lights over the sink but they did not offer good lighting in the shower and created shadows in the room. I wonder if those shadows were reason I hit my head on the towel rack that was located quite close (too close) to the toilet, at least in my room. I almost hit my eye on same rack, but I blame that on me being sleepy.
The hotel location is close enough to all the activity of the Harbour area to be acceptable, but some walking is involved.
Great views of Bridge and the Sydney Opera house from some spots in the hotel.
I recommend this hotel, but be warned about the disruptive (loud) renovation until end of November.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear pine129,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit at Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection!
We are pleased you had an enjoyable experience and you were comfortable in our care.
Thank you as well for your very constructive feedback which will be obviously used for improvement!
We look forward to have the opportunity to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have just been quoted $183.00 for a room at this hotel and when I went to book this same afternoon the price had suddenly jumped to $309.00 for the same room. When I queried the price the guy on reservations was extremely rude and dismissive and finally told me to "have a nice day" and hang up on me. I will not pay such a big difference in price and feel that the reservations was very unhelpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank blackfred

Dear blackfred,

My sincere apologies for the poor impression you have gained. I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your review.
The sudden jump in price is something that in deed can happen - as most hotels and airlines, our pricing system is a flexible one and rates always depend on availability. We may have had a group booking that day.
Of course, things like this should not happen but on this occasion it was out of our control. I hope you will accept my apologies, and I will have an opportunity to welcome you to our lovely Hotel.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed here on business in August and you can't fault the location of the hotel, right under the Harbour Bridge.

The hotel itself was under refurbishment and was overall average. The staff weren't that friendly and the breakfast was standard.

Unfortunately they also lost my colleagues clothes whilst laundering them and were not that apologetic or helpful in finding them.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear beer18,

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay at Pier One Sydney Harbour - Autograph Collection and thank you for your compliments regarding our location!
We do want to apologize for the average service you experienced! We receive so many wonderful reviews on our luxury appointments and service standards and it is disappointing to know that we have not met your expectations on this occasion!

Please feel free to contact me direct should you wish to consider staying with us again as I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to ensure you enjoy a wholly positive experience, more in keeping with the wonderful standards of service the team here at Pier One Sydney Harbour take pride in delivering.