“Great hotel”

Ranked #49 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
australia
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Stayed at this hotel four four nights,everything about it we loved,clean,friendy staff.The position was just perfect,shot walk to The Rocks markets,city,Harbour,and as mentiond above the staff could not do enough for us.
When we arrived into our room the aircon was making an awful noise,so we contacted the manager and within a few minutes the problem was fixed. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland Oregon
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Very reasonable, great location, helpful staff. Rooms OK, nothing special. Also stayed at the rendezvous in Melbourne which is larger and more opulent. Staff at the Sydney make the difference, though. We really enjoyed the area. So much within walking distance. If you just want a decent place to stay close to the action, this is it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Glen Innes, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The room was overpriced and tired we paid over $600 for 2 nights accommodation and this did not even include breakfast. We arrived at the hotel and yes the staff were lovely but they gave us no information about what was available in the area to do while in Sydney, we were not advised that there was a shuttle to the airport, we were just lucky to arrive in the foyer while the shuttle man was picking up other passengers. At approx 3pm we asked the front desk if our room was actually going to be made up that day and they gave an excuse that the rooms being vacated are done first and yes our room would be done BUT on our return our beds had been roughly pulled, the dirty towels were not removed and the dishes were not done. We had a questionaire
shoved under our door asking us for feedback but there was no biro to complete it. There was a magazine full of shopping ads in the room but no information on activites.
The only going for this motel is the location but really if you are doing the touristy things stay at Darling Harbour and do a walk to the rocks. I would not stay here again. Also I found the area very noisy should have double glazed windows

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We wanted to be as close to the harbour as possible and the location of this hotel certainly fits the bill. The staff were all helpful and friendly and were able to get us into our room earlier than normal check-in which was handy. The main downside was the room and hallways to the rooms were dingy with cheap fixtures and fittings that have dated badly. The foyer and street presence are quite nice so its a disappointment when you get to the room.

Kingscliff, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

my boyfriend and i stayed here for 3 days. we caught a train from the airport which got us to circular quay in about 20minutes. then from circular quay it is about a 5 minute walk or less back to the apartment. my boyfriend was on crutches at the time as he had torn the ligaments in his foot, but still we walked each day out to circular quay to wait from buses or ferries, we walked up george street (where the shops are) from the hotel. super close to cafes and heaps of ezy marts for last minute things!!!
the staff at reception were very welcoming, happy and thoughtful. always made conversation and were very helpful with information on where to go and how to get there, also great tips on where to eat....YUM!!
i loved my stay here, aircon room and gorgeous pool/spa area. cant wait to see you all again!

Room Tip: we had the suit room for me and my partner and it was just perfect, spacious enough and air conditio...
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Wow. I haven't stayed in a hotel this bad in this price range in a long time. If you are considering staying here, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Summary: Great location, super nice staff, filthy uncomfortable ugly hotel.

Pros: Location. It's a stones throw from the harbor and the Quay area. Slightly cheaper than other hotels in the area, but not cheap enough to justify the nasty level. Room is actually somewhat large for a city room. Staff is actually VERY helpful and nice. The great staff is the only reason I didn't give this hotel 1 star.

Cons: Too numerous to list them all. Here is a sample. Lobby and rooms and hallways and elevators are dirty and dingy. Looks like it was last renovated in the early 80's and hasn't had so much as a coat of paint since. In my room the walls and floors and ceilings and wall switches and plugs and most of all the disgusting bathroom are FILTHY. The shower is disgusting and moldy. I desperately wanted to clean myself after staying in the room but not in that shower.

It has a small kitchenette which is also dingy. Lighting is terrible. Wall plugs near the bed don't work (yeah, I know I'm in Australia, they're switched on and still don't work). There is an external doorway directly out to a back alley in my room. Bars on the door window, but none on the actual window next to the door. Quick smash and grab to get into my room from the alley. There is constant loud electrical hum power station quality buzzing coming from a power panel next to the bathroom. There isn't a single piece of artwork or decoration in the room, furniture is cheap and rickety. The room reeks of despair.

The rooms on the 2nd floor are actually at ground level and people walk down an alleyway right outside my room making noise all night.

Breakfast was painfully overpriced for a bland buffet in a tiny dining room. They had a pancake making machine which entertained a family with kids for a few minutes, but certainly wasn't worth the pre-paid $19 price, let alone the full $30 price.

Internet is painfully slow, worse than the 14.4K modem I had as a kid. I would upload the pictures of this dingy and dirty room but I literally can't over the terrible internet.

Spend $20-30 more and stay somewhere else in The Rocks area. Or stay somewhere nice for less and take a cab to The Rocks. This room was so bad it would still not be a bargain at $69, let alone the $249 they stole from me to stay one night here.

Bed looked like a queen, but is actually two small hard twins pushed together with a single sheet over them. And each is incredibly cheap and uncomfortable. Just when I think it can't get any worse here, it seems to find a new way.

I seriously want to cry just being in this hotel room. Stayed out late at a bar just to avoid coming back here.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim M
Perth
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Rendezvous in a harbour view studio room. The room was a good size with a kitchenette. The staff were friendly on arrival and throughout our stay. Perfect location, within short walking distance to restaurants and bars in The Rocks area. The view was lovely we could see the Opera House from our window. Buffet breakfast was included which was tasty, with staff readily available to assist. The only downside was a fire alarm going off due to a fault at 1am. I would stay here again.

2 Thank LouisePerth81
Ravi S, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Sydney The Rocks, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Hi Louise,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for making time to leave a review. I hope that we are able to welcome you and your husband back again soon.

Regards,