“Fantastic stay”

The Sydney Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #65 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We arrived before lunch Saturday and as we were early for checkin the room wasn't ready. That was fine, so we left our bags and headed out. Great location, nice walking distance to the main part of Sydney. We returned later in the afternoon to find our bags in the room waiting. We paid extra for a harbour view hoping to see the fireworks later that night. Glad we did. Fantastic view from Centrepoint tower all the way around to harbour bridge, opera house and wharf where the war ships docked. Had a great fireworks show from the comfort of our room. Staff were all very friendly and duty manager in the cafe for breakfast was very accommodating. Would definitely stay here again. Only downside, is the restaurant on the 25th floor is not open although there are restaurants nearby..........it is such a waste of a beautiful view!

Room Tip: Paying extra for higher floors with harbour view is well worth it!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank spaniel273
Write a ReviewReviews (1,121)

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed for 2 nights and booked a Standard Harbour View room. These rooms were advertised as being on level 3 to 10, if you wanted a higher floor they were called deluxe harbour view and were more expensive. I got a great rate on the internet, $185.00 p/n. I was given room 1014 in the middle of the hotel on the tenth floor with absolutely fantastic views, I could see all of Wooloomooloo, Harbour Bridge, Opera House and the Harbour. The room itself was very good, large, well maintained, a couple of nice comfy single chairs, large comfortable bed, I was very pleased. The only small complaint I have about the room was the size of the Television it was very small, for what they charge surely they could afford a larger flat screen Tv, they don't cost much nowadays. They did have free internet, but I didn't use it. Another negative was the vast majority of staff had very poor english. I asked a chap looking after breakfast if they had any cream, he just shrugged his shoulders intimating he did not understand and walked off. There is a bit of local noise but it is Sydney, it didn't bother me. The hotel is well situated, half way between Sydney CBD and Kings Cross, a short walk to either. There is a handy major chain supermarket next door. I would definately stay again next time im in town.

Room Tip: Get a Harbour View room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AussieGlennB
Reviewed 30 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I understand you get what you pay for we booked a deal through booking.com and paid $309 for two nights. We asked selected the king room, we arrived and the hotel decor is a little dated but still seemed clean the reception staff were friendly during check in. We went to our room where we asked for a quieter room away from the lifts we are on the front of the hotel but a few door away from the lifts which was fine. When we entered the room through that's where the problems began the bathroom is awful with a stained shower curtain a shower with no pressure a surface with the enamel peeling off and lights in the room are dirty and dusty. Simple feature you get in a 3* holiday inn are not present here the room is a let down we tried to close the curtains and they don't even close all the way and there are screws hanging out of the wall were they have tried to screw the curtains into the wall which hy husband scratched himself on. The final straw is the bed its two twin beds pushed together with two single mattresses and the sheets are 2 sheets with a duvet inbetween then not even properly covered.

We went down stair to discuss this with the staff and we were told we were lucky to have a room as it was a weekend (we booked weeks before) and that all hotels claim you will be given two twin beds pushed together when you ask for a double. But if we liked they could push them closer together if we liked. The duty manager was the worst I have ever met after travelling the world, I was so disappointed

Such a let down my parter booked as we are going to be apart for 6 months and we wanted a nice hotel to relax in while we spent the weekend in sydney. Simple details to expect from a 3* are not present in this 4* at all. The concierge was lovely shame about everything else. I
Will never book through bookings.com again and will ensure to never recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't book one here
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dididumdum
fbook1959, General Manager at The Sydney Boulevard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dididumdum thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Boulevard. Your comments regarding the King room allocation has been addressed with our Reservations Team and the issues mentioned regarding the room have been discussed with our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams.

It is certainly not acceptable and we sincerely apologise that we fell short of your expectations.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Good location to the city. My son has stayed here on his visits to Sydney. The reception staff didn't seem to know what they were doing, the concierge were very helpful. They have a very late check-in of 3.00, which could be earlier. Our bags we checked into the concierge and went out for lunch. The lady at reception said that she would phone us when our room was available, but she never rang. We got back to the hotel about 3.00 and our bags were in our room. Our room was on the 4th floor and had a lovely view of the bridge and the harbour. I think my son was disappointed, because he had been in higher rooms. I was happy with the room, it was clean and comfortable and enjoyed the view. We had a good breakfast at the hotel the next day. I had not been to Sydney for a long time and my son wanted to take me on this trip. I was happy with the hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Harbour view room, preferably higher up.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

whiteangel2002 thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Boulevard. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and my apologies regarding the fact that our reception team did not call you back to advise that your room was ready.

We look forward to welcoming you and your son back in the future.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

I've stayed at the Sydney Boulevard many times for work, but this was my first Australian vacation with my family, and the hotel provided everything we needed for an enjoyable week in Sydney. It's a great location, within walking distance to everything in the CBD, Darling Harbour, and Circular Quay. The room was adequately sized, and the harbour view made it very memorable. The staff took care of all our requests, and the concierge made some great suggestions for our week too. Having breakfast there was much appreciated too, and made our stay that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

HAL425 thank you for taking the time to comment on you recent stay and that your family enjoyed your stay with us. The location is close to most of the popular attractions, ferries and buses, I will pass your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Boulevard in the future..

Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

Booked this since February and sent 2 emails since to confirm the type of room I have booked. Got here and stuck me on a lower floor, no harbour view well 2% of it and was told it was a harbour view room. Asked first night the staff and asked me to report it in the morning which I did and reply was... You already checked in and can't move you. Other issue is a bunch of basketball wannabees used the laundry room without taking their washing out all night, hotel staff said they can't touch their clothes! The hotel is ok, clean and the restaurant is a little crappy including room service (food wise not staff). Last issue is the bath is very old fashioned. I shall not be visiting this hotel in the future and be looking to move somewhere in the heart of the city. Not impressed, some staff attitude really does need fixing.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank joysoftravels

joysoftravels, thank you for your comments and my sincere apologies in the way your booking was handled including the way in which your complaints were handled during your stay.

You comments have been dealt with internally and have been addressed by the Hotels Front Office Manager to ensure that all staff and management are made aware that we fell short of your expectations..