“Value for money”

The Sydney Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #67 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in a standard harbour view room on the 5th floor at a price that was on the lower end of the scale from the other hotels we looked at.

In summary I'd say the hotel was good value for money and clean. The rooms are dated (think 70s wood) and I would put it at 3 Stars, not its advertised 4. So not flash but comfortable.

Good points:
- Generous room size, we've stayed in rooms 1/4 of the size in Sydney that were more expensive
- Clean
- Good location a 15 min walk to town plus good local cafés and restaurants a 2 min walk away
- We had no problems with check in/out and a late checkout, nice staff
- Big comfy bed
- Quiet in the room so slept well

Niggles:
- The rooms do really need an overhaul, peeling wallpaper and dingy old wood furniture does not equal 4 Stars
- In room wifi is free but only allows one device to be connected at a time meaning you have to 'take turns' being online
- As has been mentioned in other reviews the swipe card system is ancient and with a mind of its own so if you have a short fuse for such things be warned

Tips:
- In room shampoo etc is in mass pump bottles so take your own if that's a concern although the hotel does state it saves something like 250,000 mini bottles a year
- I think the standard harbour view rooms run from the 3rd to 8th floor, would recommend the 5th floor as the lowest you'd want to be or you won't see much of a view
- Go across Williams St and down a side road for good local places to eat - Third Village does a great coffee. There's a mini supermarket open till midnight on the corner behind the hotel and one street over is Riley St Garage, great meal and bar.

The hotel is probably not quite our usual standard so will probably spend a little more and stay somewhere else next time but really have no complaints.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LakeSmith

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed with my sister and we booked a harbour view, well as soon as I walked in the door it took my breath away. The room and view were fantastic. I could've spent the whole visit just sitting and looking out the window of the view of the bridge, Opera house and gardens. Magnificent. The room was fantastic, large, spacious and very clean. We had a room with two queen beds. Room service and staff were all excellent and all very helpful. The location was second to none. Walking distance to everything. The little Woolies supermarket across the road was a delight. Had their own little eat in café area and fresh food section. Loved it, Perfect for that area and local hotels. Value for money was fantastic. I couldn't recommend The Boulevard highly enough. Every time I visit Sydney I will always stay here from now on.

Room Tip: Definitely book a harbour view room. You will not be disappointed. Stunning.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenny B
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I booked a standard city view room for one night to go out with friends in Sydney. I only paid $155 through a late rooms booking site so wasnt expecting anything amazing but actualy it was pretty darn good.
When I arrived at 2.45 my room wasn't ready but they said if I could wait just 20 mins they would upgrade me free of charge to a harbour view - then room was amazing - clean, comfortable, really big with amazingly comfy king size bed and view was like a postcard. Staff were lovely, helpful and I got room service which was really quick, very tasty and not too expensive.
Only reason I'm not giving it 5 out of 5 is because the WiFi wouldn't let me log on and the toiletries in the bathroom were not very good - I hate a bottle stuck to the wall saying it's both shower gel and shampoo! How can it be both? And no conditioner. I should really bring my own but I forgot and having long hair means no conditioner is a nightmare, so ladies take your own. The hairdryer was ancient too.
Other than that though, top notch.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank cheekydancer
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is okay but nothing is special about it. It's clean, staff there works okay and the room was tidy. But in Syndey, since everything seemed to be freaking expensive, this is a already a good option of hotels. One thing that is good about it is it is convenient to go out to different places in the city center. That's it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My daughter's (16 and 12 yrs) and I stayed at the Sydney Boulevard Hotel over Easter this year whilst visiting to attend the Royal Easter Show. We opted for a Harbour view room and ended up on the 19th floor, room 1901.
The view of the Opera house and Harbour bridge was lovely. The hotel is centrally located - about a 7 min walk from Kings Cross Station and within easy walking distance of the cbd, St James, Museum and Town Hall station are also nearby. The room featured 2 double beds and was immaculately clean and well presented. The view was definitely the stand out feature. Given that it was a peak holiday period and coincided with the Royal visit the tariff was reasonable. The electronic keys for the lift ( and room key) required several attempts to get them to function correctly, but were not a major issue. The service was very professional, yet friendly and we had no issues on this score. We were given discount vouchers for the buffet breakfast for $17.50 per person - which was reasonable for what we got, but there is no way the buffet would have been worth the standard $30 per person that was quoted to us. The buffet featured quite standard options of cereal, different kinds of toast, pastries, various fruits, juice, coffee / tea as well as hot options like bacon, hash browns, eggs, sausages, baked beans etc- fairly standard fare. The staff were very friendly, efficient and accommodating. We did not use room service other facilities so cannot comment on these.

Room Tip: Opt for a harbour view room - definitely worth it !
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Cathy T
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were given a room on the 15th Floor overlooking the Harbor and every nite we would bring our dinner to the room and enjoyed the terrific view while we are eating. The room was spacious and ckean. The bed was a little hard but it was ok. The Hotel was also a 5 min walk to Hyde Park and the St.Marys Church where you can enjoy the park atmospere while enjoying the nice Autumn weather. We would definite stay there again if we go back to Sydney.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the Harbour view the higher floors the better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Not a bad hotel but nothing exciting-if you want a value place to stay in Sydney not too far off the beaten track this is fine-room was basic but clean staff were friendly and helpful but facilities are not great. Breakfast I had once and it was ok but that's about it. The street it is on is not the nicest but an easy walk to the centre. Nice views over the city from the higher floors

Room Tip: A higher floor is best for views and noise
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business