“Average rooms but good staff”

The Sydney Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #65 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had high expectations for this hotel due to the photos and reviews, but frankly were quite disappointed. The room we were given had a terrible smell, and after a while we realized it was from the shower curtain. The knob that controls the water from the shower or tap for the bathtub fell out and couldn't work. The rest of the bathroom was clean.

The bed was also clean. The mattress seemed to be sunken down the middle and was a tad too soft for our liking. An additional foldable luggage rack was provided in the wardrobe, which was useful.

Service was good though, staff were friendly and helpful, especially Armando at the reception and Deejay at the conceirge.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Really impressed with the service, upon arrival Roberto served us and immediately told up he was upgrading us free of charge! Breakfast was not included however he did provide us with a discounted breakfast voucher for the following day.
Our room was not ready however they took our bags and said they would call us when the room is ready.
Room was very nice bed comfortable and a nice view.
Bathroom was out-dated and they need to install a exhaust fan into the bath room.
Breakfast was just ok, dining room is very dated and needs an upgrade, the coffee was way to hot and tasted ordinary.
If I say here again ill skip breakfast other than that the stay was enjoyable.

Room Tip: You would want to be above the 6th floor for a good view
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Had a superb stay with welcoming, friendly and helpful staff. Arrived early in morn and our gear was happily looked after till our room was ready.The Emerald Harbour Suite was very spacious with extremely comfortable king size bed and stunning views of Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Also very clean and tidy and well set out . We used both the restaurant and room service for dinning and was totally Delish !!! Handy to the CBD and with Bus stop right outside and Taxis, when we had to go further a field it was no issue. Beautiful 10/15 min walk to Opera House etc through lovely park and gardens. Our flights out were later in evening so on checkout once again our luggage was stored for us until required. Truly Professional service that made our stay in Sydney magnificent. Highly Recommend :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Overall brilliant hotel - central location. 500 m to Kings Cross station and nearby CBD. Was upgraded to deluxe suite with the most beautiful views overlooking botanical gardens, harbour bridge and opera house. Rooms well appointed nice king size bed. Fast free efficient Wifi. Breakfast not included - discount voucher available.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I used to walk past this all of the time when I lived up the road and thought it would be a decent spot rather than the Diamant as I needed to spend time in the CBD also.

Arrived early (11ish) and was advised that the room wasn't ready. I expected this might be the case and we did the paperwork etc for when it would be. The girl commented that I was yawning and asked if it had been a big night, I told her quote "I have had 20-30 minutes sleep in the past 24 hours and 4 hours the day before" - I explained I had hoped to get some on the flight but my neck kept jolting as the seat was stuck and wouldn't recline. She apologised and explained check in policy, told her I was fully aware and travelled regularly but to please call as soon as it was.

I went upstairs to the restaurant and after querying with some clueless staff about somewhere to do some work and get a coffee they told me breakfast was over. Finally they said they could make me a latte and I paid for that and sat down to work. Cleaner was nice and apologised when they needed to vacuum near me.

Went back down about 80 minutes before official check in time and the room still wasn't ready - no problem, I went into the city.

Check in time had passed so I walked back to the hotel. No call. Hotels don't magically have rooms cleaned on the dot for check in time - they are scattered throughout the day as per check outs. This is a large hotel with many, many staff. Reallocate a room that has become available if you notice that the one allocated is still not done. When it is try actually calling the guest who has physically not slept and cannot see as her lids are dropping over her eyes.

Now the stay: Executive room, not much executive but niceish 4 star, adequate but cramped gym, ridiculous air con that I could not figure out so swayed between hot and freezing, comfy enough bed.

No minibar in the room? Well there was one, but nothing in it. This is an executive room, baffled me but I couldn't be bothered calling as I know there was many shopping centres nearby.

The room keys did not work no less than 4 times during my stay. Constantly betting in my head if they would each time I went upstairs.

When checking out they told me to take a cab from an incorrect place to the airport. Im like, distributor is this way guys, why on earth wouldn't you grab one out the front? Maybe there is some weird logic, I dunno. No offer of help with my bags even though I was struggling with them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed for three nights at the Sydney Boulevard Hotel and our initial impressions were this was a nice, albeit slightly rundown, clean hotel.

However, early evening on our second night we found two cockroaches crawling in the bathroom. 15 minutes later we saw a third crawl out from underneath the bathroom door frame. We complained at reception, to which they said they didn't have any other rooms free. Only when we said we would leave did they find one. However we could only stay in it for one night because they were having the floor renovated the next day. In this second room, we found a big black hair in one of the towels. When we informed reception of this, the man was un-apologetic and showed no empathy for our concern that a 'four star' hotel would have both cockroaches and hair in towels.

He said at best he could offer us complementary buffet breakfast on our last morning. With cockroaches, hair, three nights in three different rooms and no sincere apology for the inconvenience I would highly NOT recommend this place.

3  Thank Maree24
DavidStavert, General Manager at The Sydney Boulevard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Ask Maree24
Many thanks for sharing your feedback with us and I am most disappointed you encountered the issues you experienced. Please accept my most sincere apologies and rest assured I have followed up directly with the my Housekeeping and Reception teams. We have also had our Maintenance team make a complete check of the entire room.

To date I have contacted our pest control contractor to find out why this issue occurred and have asked for a detailed report of their findings, I have also held a meeting with my Housekeeping team for an explanation regarding the black hair that was found on the clean towel in the bathroom.

As the General Manager I take your feedback seriously and have since made your comments known to all staff on duty and in particular the staff members who were dealing with your complaints during your recent stay with us.

We will also reply to you shortly with a formal apology based on our investigation into your recent stay.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights. Quite near to China Town n City. This hotel needs abit of upgrade on furniture n no tooth brush provide. Think they should provide as its a neccessity. Overall is a good place to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family